• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    To those who reside in the Keystone state, I was wondering what the pros and cons are there. My wife and I are looking at moving to a neighboring states,(VA, WV, PA, etc) as we have had our fill of the ever continuing horse shit that is MD's political climate. I have lived here for the past 10 years and she was born and raised here. Her and I will continue to work in MD, but prefer to live else where.

That being said, What do you like and dislike about living north of the DPRM and would you recommend making the move north?

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Some areas of PA have oppressive school taxes. When I was looking at moving to PA most area's close to the MD boarder their school taxes were higher then all other taxes combined.

Thanks
    Robert

Yes they are but you have to remember in PA you have school, county and local tax. School tax is just the state property taxes. My total property taxes here on the state line basically are 3200 a year for 2500sq ft rancher on almost 3/4 of an acre.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Some areas of PA have oppressive school taxes. When I was looking at moving to PA most area's close to the MD boarder their school taxes were higher then all other taxes combined.

Thanks
    Robert

Not surprising.... AACO Bd of Ed is 52% of County's budget.
    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Yes they are but you have to remember in PA you have school, county and local tax. School tax is just the state property taxes. My total property taxes here on the state line basically are 3200 a year for 2500sq ft rancher on almost 3/4 of an acre.

As a former PA resident, I would disagree.

While school taxes are based upon your assessed property value; they are not the same as property taxes, they are separate and discrete from them (at least in Indiana county they are).

That aside, PRMD schools are funded via a per county/city surcharge to state taxes.

That said, you are paying nearly the same the tax for > 3x the land.

I wish I was lucky; I'm paying 3600 for 0.238 acre :sad20:

People looking to flee from the PRMD should be aware:

The last land evaluation in most of the counties is the commonwealths 1968 assessment for most of the 67 counties. There are many counties that are reassessing and values are going up dramatically (5-8x in some cases).

Google search for either allegheny or Indiana real estate reassessment

Research before you buy...

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    I live in VA and have spent a fair amt of time in WV and PA as well...either of the 3 are fine choices, and all 3 have friendly firearm laws...PA doesn't even have a reciprocity law, they simply state "we'll honor any permit issued by a US territory". WV tends to be a little "tax-ey" and has higher gas prices, PA's gas prices are a lil high but they usually have a better quality mix w/ more MPG, and VA is ok but they do have a duty to retreat statute I believe and if you live in Northern VA (NoVA) you get ass raped on paying mortgage/ rent and property taxes...so I would say it boils down to where you work or need to frequent. any other questions feel free to PM me. I live about an hour from DC, pay 20% less in gas per gal than NoVa, and I can shoot in my front yard and my rent is under $800 for a 2bed house...and VA is "good peoples" if you stay out of the liberal bastions (NoVA, Richmond)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    IME from writing mortgages in PA school taxes tend to be very high. And each district has different taxes so watch where you buy. For Now, gun laws are much better but with a lib anti Goc and AG all that can be changing. Fom my PA gun club I got a notice of 3 bills being submitted. Don't remember them all but one would require a $10 each reg fee on all your guns every year. The other 2 were no better.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    As a former PA resident, I would disagree.

While school taxes are based upon your assessed property value; they are not the same as property taxes, they are separate and discrete from them (at least in Indiana county they are).

That aside, PRMD schools are funded via a per county/city surcharge to state taxes.

That said, you are paying nearly the same the tax for > 3x the land.

I wish I was lucky; I'm paying 3600 for 0.238 acre :sad20:

People looking to flee from the PRMD should be aware:

The last land evaluation in most of the counties is the commonwealths 1968 assessment for most of the 67 counties. There are many counties that are reassessing and values are going up dramatically (5-8x in some cases).

Google search for either allegheny or Indiana real estate reassessment

Research before you buy...

I grew up in Indiana, PA and you are correct. Be careful where you buy back that way. I am looking for a rancher in western PA this year. Not living in this ******** called Laurel much longer. Been in MD since Sept 1977 and have seen all the CHANGE I can stand!

Lew--Ranger63

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Dallastown school district has extremely high school taxes. When I was looking for a house 3 years ago, the house was great (new construction) and cost of the house and land was extremely attractive.

However, the school tax was astronomical. Seems they had just built a new middle AND high school and the taxes were raised to help pay for the 2 buildings.

Also, you have to have your vehicles inspected every year. Not a big deal, but it means you're probably taking a day off from work to do that for every vehicle you own.

Then the 83 drive everyday can be a pain. But once you know the area, there are roads that will get you where you want to go.

The wife and I bought a new house 3 years ago and we stayed in MD. I know, don't beat me up too badly. But remember, a happy wife means a happy life.

Good Luck!

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I grew up in PA and all my family still lives there. The only upside to living in PA is the gun laws and the cost per square footage for property is lower in rural areas. With that said taxes are Insane in Pennsylvania. Vehicle inspection is annual and 15 years ago was never under 100$. Gas prices are higher and your commutes are usually longer.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    One huge difference is that in day to day life for a MD homeowner the state runs most things, the county a few, and the locality practically nothing, PA is reversed. Localities vary wildly in taxes, procedures for buying/building/permitting, utility services and costs, even schools and emergency services. There are a lot of small, but annoying tax bills under $20 a year, and of course the school tax, although with all taxes in, it probably works out to the same for us in PA or MD. Annual car inspections are similarly annoying, especially if you do your own work, but just about every shop does them, and they just check the basics. We love the area, lots of nice parks, family stuff, and there is a gun culture most of the country could only dream of. There is a battle between Philly and the rest of the state politically, so draconian BS and a few anti-gun Dems get elected to high office, but the vast majority of bad stuff is just political theatre by Slumlord communists that won't go anywhere.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I have property in northern Nevada. 80 acres costs $99.00 a year in taxes. Great gun laws, wide open and no traffic. No building permits or inspections. No income tax, no vehicle inspection. Shall issue, no 29" OAL and everyone stays out of your business, code of the west stuff. As soon as the inlaws are gone so am I!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    So in short, PA sucks just as bad as MD? Huh?

Besides a couple favorable 2A things, shall issue, state police paperwork/take handgun home the same day, no "banned" long guns and standard capacity magazines.

I'm in PA often, the roads suck even worse than MD, fuel prices suck. No WaWa? Come on man, Rutters aint. The tax gimmicks.

What about the weird state controlled liquor stores?

I do like 1 license plate they got though. Not so much about those pesky inspection stickers, driverside lower.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    So in short, PA sucks just as bad as MD? Huh?

Besides a couple favorable 2A things, shall issue, state police paperwork/take handgun home the same day, no "banned" long guns and standard capacity magazines.

I'm in PA often, the roads suck even worse than MD, fuel prices suck. No WaWa? Come on man, Rutters aint. The tax gimmicks.

What about the weird state controlled liquor stores?

I do like 1 license plate they got though. Not so much about those pesky inspection stickers, drivers side lower left.

pretty much, just in different ways.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Move to WV. Yes you pay taxes yearly on your vehicle, dogs, horses, and have to get a vehicle inspection yearly, but none of them are outrageous. I grew up in WV and lived there until I was 33 and I can tell you that the taxes on my two vehicles (a brand new Honda Pilot and a 2001 Chevy 2500HD ext cab short bed 4x4,my two blue heelers(rest in piece boys:(, and 5 acres of property were LESS than what I pay yearly for a 1200 sq ft house on .49acres. Plus there's no BS gun laws like MD>:( to deal with. When I can escape this hell hole MD guess where I'm going...back to where I should've never left.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I got a lot of family in WV, specifically Eastern pan handle. Probably the most beautiful area for natural resources but there is a lot of economic depression in WV.

Not quite a gigantic mound of dirt that Blaster has in Nevada but I'm still jealous, nonetheless. :D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The thing is that in Pa ( & New England ) most of the services and taxes are at the micro level of Boroughs and Townships, where we deal on primarily County level. For the most part smaller govt, close at hand, etc are good things, some services can be done more effecently with larger bases and less duplication . ie when the Township public works dept needs a new truck, and they only have a cpl hundred residents/ taxpayers, that's s big bite on each one.

So what I'm saying, while you'd have to search to find a locality in Pa that is actually worse than Md, you can't generalize the whole state, or even county by county. You have to invrestigate the specific micro localities

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom