• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    In regard to roads in PA being so much worse.....WOW...has anyone driven through Hampstead lately?

Yeah, pretty rough, but I think they've been digging up utilities lately. It isn't normally like that. Jeez, I hope they repave Main street when they are done.

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    The tax argument depends on your income. For my situation, the lower state income tax offset the increased property/school tax entirely - negligible change in my total tax payments. Factor in the fact that my builder was selling identical houses (on a smaller lot) in Edgewood, MD for $70k more than I paid in PA - it was a no brainer. And that was before MD's gun laws got even worse.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Con:

Adams County Commissioner Marty Karsteter is anti:

(paywall news site, disable javascript to view)
    http://www.eveningsun.com/story/new...eness-day-has-meaning-commissioners/84903806/

"I think most people have been touched in some manner with gun violence," said Commissioner Randy Phiel, who characterized the issue as a "public health epidemic."

For reasons both personal and broad, like the recent suicide gun deaths in Adams County, the commissioners approved a proclamation Wednesday morning for Gun Violence Awareness Day to be held on June 2. Recommended by the Gettysburg Gun Safety Study Group, the day will be marked by supporters wearing the color orange.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Sounds like you'd only make out well if you're retired. How about changing a md cdl license to a pa cdl? Do you have to go through a lot?

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Sounds like you'd only make out well if you're retired. How about changing a md cdl license to a pa cdl? Do you have to go through a lot?

Its been about a week and you have not had any response.

Try joining either PA2A.org or PAFOA.org, even if its just for this question. You'll get more responses, and much more quickly. plenty of truck drivers on both. :thumbsup:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yes and I am so we're considering PA. :D

Make double and triple sure about school tax before buying a particular house. Try to find out if the city, town, or county plans to build new schools anytime soon. Would royally suck if you move there for lower income tax and get socked with a huge school tax that offsets any savings.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    the other night at dinner my wife just turned to me and said that I wanted to move to PA that she'd be on board with it. I've been researching like a madman. My accountant told me I'd save about $2,000 in income tax (PA doesn't have deductions/exemptions like Maryland does, so the effective tax rate is lower than the actual tax rate).

I think I can sell the house to net slightly more than we paid (after commissions and taxes).

Our realtor, a gun guy who's not on MDS, is taking us out to look at some stuff this weekend. The 1 1/2 hour drive would suck, but I only commute two days a week between flex days and working from home).

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    the other night at dinner my wife just turned to me and said that I wanted to move to PA that she'd be on board with it. I've been researching like a madman. My accountant told me I'd save about $2,000 in income tax (PA doesn't have deductions/exemptions like Maryland does, so the effective tax rate is lower than the actual tax rate).

I think I can sell the house to net slightly more than we paid (after commissions and taxes).

Our realtor, a gun guy who's not on MDS, is taking us out to look at some stuff this weekend. The 1 1/2 hour drive would suck, but I only commute two days a week between flex days and working from home).

This is where we are. We could move now if we really wanted to but I'd rather hold out a few years to get something we really like, or even build our own.

Plus, if I wait until next summer then I have the option to work in Harrisburg or York. Housing would be much cheaper within that driving distance. (and I'd get to leave the house in the morning lawfully armed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom