• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie

Ha, it helps in that I can see a path to carry regardless of the answer to my original question's intent. :D

That said, it doesn't answer what I really intended to ask in my original question - is there any path to carrying concealed in PA without a MD license? Do they accept other permits that we can get as a non-resident?

And if not, is there any reason this hasn't been challenged by someone who otherwise meets the requirements of PA but is boned by MD's May Issue scheme?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but seems like a big (perhaps intentional?) oversight in the intent of their law for non-residents.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    If you are out western md, bedford co. Did mine walk-in a few years back. About 20 minutes overall. Had to show my WCP from md

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So, is there currently any way for a MD resident to carry in PA if you don't have a MD permit?

I have Utah which I know hasn't been accepted for years (stupid AG). Are any non-resident permits not accepted by PA?

Trying to figure this out because I'm in PA more than any other state that I actually can carry in...

Open carry is legal in PA.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To explicitly answer your original question :

NO , there is NOT presently a path for Md Resident w/o MD W&C to * Conceal outside of a vehicle * in Pa .

The helpful additional advice was pointing out best available alternative , which is generally accepted in most of Pa .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The usual rule of thumb for most Pa S.O. is if at the moment you walk in the door , the desk is clear , nothing else of interest happening around the office , Maybe as a favor , but they're not obligated to do so .

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Anyone know if Adams county would take walk ins? Might be on the area but didn't plan ahead.

No they will not take walk ins. My wife and I tried last Friday. Since COVID they have gone to "appointment only" plus you need to fill out the paperwork in advance and need references. Yep---they didn't seem busy when we walked in at 0900...literally no one but the desk clerk appeared to be around. She assured us we could not get it done in the same day---

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    No they will not take walk ins. My wife and I tried last Friday. Since COVID they have gone to "appointment only" plus you need to fill out the paperwork in advance and need references. Yep---they didn't seem busy when we walked in at 0900...literally no one but the desk clerk appeared to be around. She assured us we could not get it done in the same day---

That's what I feared and expected, thanks!

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    So... How does today's ruling potentially impact a MD resident without a CCW getting a PA permit?

Couldn't a case now be made that as a right, a state must issue a permit to all those requesting without qualifying criteria (like needing a home state permit?)

Exciting times... :)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So... How does today's ruling potentially impact a MD resident without a CCW getting a PA permit?

Couldn't a case now be made that as a right, a state must issue a permit to all those requesting without qualifying criteria (like needing a home state permit?)

Exciting times... :)
    Someone needs to file a case to challenge the law.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    I applied online at Adams County yesterday, and got the approval message today. Really impressed.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I applied online at Adams County yesterday, and got the approval message today. Really impressed.
    Yep--same here. Application received by Sheriff's office 3:40pm yesterday, approved 1:20pm today-- Pick up scheduled for 01 Aug...NICE Service.

Last edited:

Gravedigger

Dec 25, 2014
    Got mine yesterday as well. Approval took 4 days

Slackers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beat yea ;)

applied Sunday to York County Sheriff
    had call around noon on Tuesday approved
    and picked up on Wednesday and got fingerprinted for Florida
    in and out less than 45 min

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Got renewal this morning in Gettysburg. Arrived 25 minutes early, no one ahead of me. Took 10 minutes give or take. Quite impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom