• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lbsand

MDS Supporter
    May 8, 2013
    East York, PA
    Abacab,
    Unless I'm mistaken, several years ago, the PA Attorney General arbitrarily ruled you must have a valid home state permit to be eligible for an out of state PA permit. Bottom line, if your home issues a CC permit, you must have one to obtain a permit in PA. It won't matter what country to go to.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Abacab,
    Unless I'm mistaken, several years ago, the PA Attorney General arbitrarily ruled you must have a valid home state permit to be eligible for an out of state PA permit. Bottom line, if your home issues a CC permit, you must have one to obtain a permit in PA. It won't matter what country to go to.

I have one but it's restricted and Lancaster won't issue a permit to a MD resident with a restricted MD permit.

2A Maryland

Dec 7, 2016
    Towson, MD
    For the record, all of my experience with PA carry permits is with Adams County Sheriff in Gettysburg.

I am not clear on whether the issue involves the restrictions on a valid carry permit issued by Maryland to a Maryland resident or no longer having a valid permit in Maryland.

I have not heard of restrictions being an issue. When I first got a PA permit, I had restrictions on my Maryland permit. No problem.

In order to receive a non-resident PA carry permit, you must have a valid permit (waiting for a delayed renewal doesn't count) issued by the state in which you reside. It was not always this way, PA law changed several years ago but I cannot recall in which year.

If you want honest and accurate answers, contact the PA Attorney General.

BTW, name calling does not advance our goals, nor does it portray gun owners in a positive light. Stick to issues and we all benefit.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    For the record, all of my experience with PA carry permits is with Adams County Sheriff in Gettysburg.

I am not clear on whether the issue involves the restrictions on a valid carry permit issued by Maryland to a Maryland resident or no longer having a valid permit in Maryland.

I have not heard of restrictions being an issue. When I first got a PA permit, I had restrictions on my Maryland permit. No problem.

In order to receive a non-resident PA carry permit, you must have a valid permit (waiting for a delayed renewal doesn't count) issued by the state in which you reside. It was not always this way, PA law changed several years ago but I cannot recall in which year.

BTW, name calling does not advance our goals, nor does it portray gun owners in a positive light. Stick to issues and we all benefit.

It is a policy specific to Lancaster county. I have a valid MD resident permit with restrictions. I had a permit from Lancaster before this current policy.

The sheriff will not issue a non resident permit to a Maryland resident with a restricted permit. No explanation for the policy was given but it has nothing to do with the AG.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

Once you have a PA permit, it is good until it expires. You do not have to maintain your Resident State permit. If Lancaster Co was that concerned, they would make the expiration date the same as your MD permit. They can't do that. Permits are state permits and follow state laws.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Once you have a PA permit, it is good until it expires. You do not have to maintain your Resident State permit. If Lancaster Co was that concerned, they would make the expiration date the same as your MD permit. They can't do that. Permits are state permits and follow state laws.

And there's nothing in the law that I'm aware of that says you the sheriff has the right to deny the application based on the restrictions placed on a Maryland handgun permit. The only relevant language I saw is as follows:

(ix) *A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

I am concerned that if I contact the PA AG's office that they may find some way to side with the Lancaster county Sheriff and then I will be guilty of asking a question that didn't need to be asked when I can drive to Gettysburg.

On the other hand, I'm sufficiently irritated that I want the guy smacked down because I don't think he can do what he's doing. I believe he thinks that he can get away with it because York is next door. The woman at the counter told me to go there - she was prepared.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Finally made it over to Adams county today. They take the app and tell you that you will be notified by mail in approximately one week. Photo and payment happen after you are approved.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Doesnt NH (shall issue) have reciprocity with PA even for non residents?
    Even tho NH is constitutional carry now, afaik they still issue permits to non residents and PA still reciprocal

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Doesnt NH (shall issue) have reciprocity with PA even for non residents?
    Even tho NH is constitutional carry now, afaik they still issue permits to non residents and PA still reciprocal

They do. PA is $20 and NH is $100. I'd rather just have the PA one.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Let me get this straight. PA will give a permit to a MD resident with a NH permit? Is that correct?

No. You need a MD permit to get a PA permit. Though last I checked you need a MD permit to get a NH permit.

(This applies to non residents seeking to get a PA or NH permit)

PA recognizes NH non resident permits because NH requires non residents to have a permit from their home state before issuing - just like PA.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    That used to be the case - but not anymore! NH does not require non-residents to be licensed in their home state. See https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

In fact, most people around here get NH just bc it shortcuts the PA process. Yes, it's an extra $80 to get NH instead of PA, but you have zero hassles getting it.

Sure, if I get stopped in PA, I'd rather have the PA permit in hand and don't expect the officer to know the NH permit has same effect. So I expect additional calls will have to be made, supervisors, etc. But reaches a point where you just gotta get on with the day.

No. You need a MD permit to get a PA permit. Though last I checked you need a MD permit to get a NH permit.

(This applies to non residents seeking to get a PA or NH permit)

PA recognizes NH non resident permits because NH requires non residents to have a permit from their home state before issuing - just like PA.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    That used to be the case - but not anymore! NH does not require non-residents to be licensed in their home state. See https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

In fact, most people around here get NH just bc it shortcuts the PA process. Yes, it's an extra $80 to get NH instead of PA, but you have zero hassles getting it.

Sure, if I get stopped in PA, I'd rather have the PA permit in hand and don't expect the officer to know the NH permit has same effect. So I expect additional calls will have to be made, supervisors, etc. But reaches a point where you just gotta get on with the day.

I'm surprised they haven't rescinded their reciprocity agreement over that NH supreme Court case. Now jailed AG Kane was obsessed with limiting recognition of out of state permits.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I'm surprised they haven't rescinded their reciprocity agreement over that NH supreme Court case. Now jailed AG Kane was obsessed with limiting recognition of out of state permits.

Wholly owned subsidiary of Michael Bloomberg. I don't have exact details, but there was something "different" about NH and TX that she couldn't mess with those.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I got my non res NH permit last year and it was $100 but it allows me to CC in PA. I do not have my MD CC permit. I have not been raped 11 times and killed 17 times in order to get the damn thing.....

jtaldow

www.mises.org
    Jan 28, 2018
    Montgomery County, MD

This is awesome news, thanks for posting. Hopefully it stays this way. The question is, if I get a NH non resident permit now, and PA changes its policy toward NH, will my permit be grandfathered in or will it be unusable in PA? I guess time will tell.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC the PA - NH agreement was codified in some law so Kane couldn’t screw wuth it, Had to be changed by the legislature.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    oh, forgot to give kudos to my man Swinokur for helping me with my NH non res permit. I had never done one before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom