• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Jamie, if I recall correctly the law up there states that if Pa fails to respond in 2 business days the transaction can proceed.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    What is it about gun-grabbers that inhibits their ability to either count or tell the truth? They're telling everybody it's going to be offline for four days. September 2 through September 6 as they claim, is actually five days, d'oh. Sounds like a long time to me for the small operator struggling to make his bills, especially in the beginning of Fall hunting time. But then again, maybe that's the idea.

I've been reading about it, you would think they could find some way around taking the whole system offline for four days. Let the PSP continue to be the NICS point of contact and call it in manually, or even let the dealers call NICS directly (for those who don't know PA is what's called a full NICS Point-Of-Contact state, ALL dealer firearms sales get called into PSP for the NICS check, dealers in PA do not talk to NICS directly). Or even do what gets done with every other critical computer system and work on it at night when the system is not needed. But that fat slob Ed Rendell hates gun owners so I'm sure he figures all the better if they're inconvenienced. Of course he's already rolled the antis' favorite new boogeyman out of the closet, "we have to make sure a mentally ill person can't buy a gun, blah, blah, blah." Grabbers are going to use that as a rallying cry for about the next two decades I guess.

Last edited:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    C&P from another site!

"Can anybody imagine what would happen if the government shut down all media for four days, locked all church doors for four days, stopped issuing foodstamps for four days, etc.?" :shocked2:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    C&P from another site!

"Can anybody imagine what would happen if the government shut down all media for four days, locked all church doors for four days, stopped issuing foodstamps for four days, etc.?" :shocked2:

Or even worse, if they took "American Idol" off for four days!! :omg:

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    I have several friends in the computer business and they've stated that they'd be fired if an upgrade meant pulling the network offline for 4 days.

Jamie, if I recall correctly the law up there states that if Pa fails to respond in 2 business days the transaction can proceed.

I'm not sure about that.

There is a Sith Lord somewhere within the State Police and at some point he needs to be stopped.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have several friends in the computer business and they've stated that they'd be fired if an upgrade meant pulling the network offline for 4 days.

I'm not sure about that.

There is a Sith Lord somewhere within the State Police and at some point he needs to be stopped.

I don't know if this is correct, but someone over on THR claimed that after two days they can use NICS.

DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    And to add insult to injury .........

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07240/812655-85.stm
    Most state-run gun ranges closed till October for toxic lead removal
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007
    By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Recreational shooters and hunters hoping to sight their guns at state-run shooting ranges in southwestern Pennsylvania will find all but one of them closed until the end of September.

As part of a statewide program to remove toxic lead from firing ranges located on State Game Lands, the Pennsylvania Game Commission last year directed $1 million in state Growing Greener funds to remediate earthen backstops contaminated with decades of lead bullets.

Work is now under way in the commission's Southwest District, which includes nine shooting ranges in Allegheny, Beaver, Washington, Greene, Armstrong, Westmoreland, Fayette, Indiana, Cambria and Somerset counties.

"We're voluntarily doing lead remediation on all State Game Land ranges in the state," said Game Commission Southwest Region Director Matt Hough. "Some of the ranges were built in the 1950s and 1960s, and there's a substantial level of lead built up there."

Of the nine ranges, two have been closed permanently. Of the remaining seven, only a Cambria County site remains open.

Metals Treatment Technologies, a Colorado-based company that boasts some 250 shooting-range cleanups in the past 10 years, was hired to do the remediation.

Most of the lead in the bullet-laced backstops is being screened out and recycled. What's left is treated with a process called Ecobond, which makes the remaining lead fragments in the dirt more stable.

"Lead is stable in the environment, but mined lead becomes unstable and leaches into the water," said James M. Barthel, president and chief executive officer of Metals Treatment Technologies. "What we can't screen out, we chemically treat back to a natural lead mineral that is not leachable."

The treated fill is returned to the backstops.

Barry Zaffuto, land management supervisor for the Game Commission's Southwest District, said lead remediation is only part of the project. Ongoing construction includes work on drainage, side berms, gravel sidewalks, compliance with National Rifle Association safety standards and upgrades intended to make future lead remediation unnecessary.

"We're facing all backstops with a limestone and sand mixture, which stops the bullets," he said. "We'll routinely screen the sand and remove the bullets. In some places, we're putting up blocks of cement mixed with Styrofoam. The bullets stop in the blocks, and we'll periodically replace them."

Statewide, about $355,000 has been spent on the remediation program. Mr. Hough said the commission expects to spend an additional $710,000.

The two closed ranges include a small one with two shooting stations near Blairsville, on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers land. Although remediated, it was decommissioned due to minimal use, Mr. Hough said. Another small range in State Game Lands 285 in Beaver County was closed because of excessive vandalism.

In Cambria County, the range on State Game Lands 108 is open.

Mr. Hough said ranges in the following counties and State Game Lands have been remediated and are expected to reopen by the end of September: Allegheny, SGL 203; Fayette, SGL 51; Greene, SGL 179 and 223; Indiana, SGL 248; Washington, SGL 245; Westmoreland, SGL 42.

Mr. Zaffuto said original plans called for the ranges to reopen before September, the traditional start of Pennsylvania hunting season, but "it was a bigger job than we thought it would be."

Mr. Hough said during construction, hunters and sport shooters who usually use the free State Game Lands ranges might pay to shoot at a private gun club range.

Chuck Wainright, secretary of the Allegheny County Rifle Club near Bauerstown, said membership at his group is up and "this pushes more people our way."

Mr. Wainright said his group received a letter from the Game Commission suggesting it work with a certified environmental contractor when remediating backstops at its firing ranges.

The club has yet to act on the recently received letter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom