• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I just received my CCW permit packet back from Sherrif Denny Nau of Centre County. There was no explination other than he had highlighted the section of the instructions that state that an applicant must have a current permit with their home state if that state issues permits. Even though MD is basically a No-Issue state, it doesn't matter. :sad20:

Time to send my Florida packet. That will cover PA.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Spot77 said:
    Interesting......I guess he's just following the strictest interpretation of the law???:sad20:
    From what I have heard he is very pro-gun, and if there was any way that he could approve an application that he would. I think his hands have been tied.

It is funny to me that I can easily obtain a Florida permit and carry in PA, but I can't obtain a PA permit to carry in PA. I can't knock PA though, because the most important thing is that they recongnize the right to carry for PA residents.

UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    YEPPERS, I CALLED THE FOLKS UP IN PA.
    THEY TOLD ME THE SAME THING. IT SEEMS THAT THEY ARE UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT MD. GIVES OUT PERMITS
    :lol2: LIKE YOU SAY, TIME TO SENT OUT THE PACKET TO FL.:party29:

MAYBE NEXT YEAR IF WE ALL START MOVING NOW :innocent0

UNCLE WAWA

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    Thanks for the link.

I do have a question though. Is it possible to get a CCW from the State of Florida without residency? The info on the Florida website shows only a US citizenship requirement.

TIA,
    Matt

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Info of FLA CCW

I got the whole package at the Timo show. I am a resident of the peoples republik of MD and ran into these guys:

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net

They offered the required course, finger printing, id pic and notary. Whole deal from them was in the area of $100. The cost for the FLA ccw itself is $117.

Sent my package in a few weeks ago....

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I was just about to apply for a permit from Pennsylvania, but now am not sure. Does anyone know of any pressure that would be brought against the sheriff not to grant a permit? I also don't see anything about having any firearms training course certification.

Regarding the Florida permits, how much do they run? Are denials common there? Is certification required? (I've just signed up for a fifty-buck course I don't need to apply in Virginia.)

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Thank you. What's the "K-number" required to obtain a firearms proficiency form? Is one of these needed?
    I think that is only for firearms instructors. Just request the CCW packet and they will send it to you via snail mail. It contains all the forms and instructions that you will need. I requested one and the packet arrived in less than a week. It is a little more formal than Virginia's application process, but it gets you more states. I was going to get a FL permit, but once the PA - VA reciprocity agreement went into effect I had no need.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've had a FL permit for 7+ years. The newest issue is signed by "Charles Bronson", which I think is a hoot.

FL is a "shall issue" state, meaning that, if you have clear record and meet their lenient training requirements, they "shall" issue you a permit. Mine took slightly less than 90 days the first time, and only took two weeks to renew.

I carry every time I leave the state, with the exception of WV, the only state contiguous to MD that doesn't honor non-res FL.

"Packing.Org" has always been a current clearinghouse for CCW/reciprocity info. . .

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Well, I'd still like to get a Pennsylvania permit, but I haven't heard what the problem is. There are numerous places to apply, but has anyone else been denied? I'd really like to know more.

Also, how much is the Florida permit? I'm a native of Florida and I'd really like to have one.

Thanks.

wah001

Jan 2, 2007
    Greensboro
    Now you have my interest.
    What are the shooting requirments for the Florida CCW permit. (i.e. # of rounds at how many feet into what target)

With living on the eastern shore and really never shopping in MD ( I always goto DE) this has me interested.
    :rolleyes:

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    For PA CCW, try York County. Very nice people to work with, have has permit for over 10 years. Renewals have gotten quicker. Permit good 24/7 anywhere in the state. Chris.

rpcmig

Nov 29, 2006
    Berlin,MD
    Forget the PA permit and go with FL. As stated earlier PA won't issue a non resident permit to a resident of any state that issues permits at all. Since MD does issue permits, even rarely, they qualify as such.

I work in PA and carry there all the time with the FL permit. It only took a month or so to get it and it's good for all neighboring states except WV.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Now you have my interest.
    What are the shooting requirments for the Florida CCW permit. (i.e. # of rounds at how many feet into what target)
    Not a "shooting requirement" . . . which is why I used the term "lenient" in reference to the training requirements. You probably couldn't register at this site with any less firearms knowledge . . . Here's the law:

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/ch0790.htm

Scroll down to 790.6 and see training requirements:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

With living on the eastern shore and really never shopping in MD ( I always goto DE) this has me interested.
    :rolleyes:

While DE does honor FL, and honors the non-resident FL (important distinction to ALWAYS check), you will need to comply with all of Maryland's transportation laws while on your way . . . be careful.
    :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom