• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Try Again!

Send your application back to Sheriff Nau with a letter. Denials can be appealed and the sheriff's people probably made an honest mistake. You get someone new or who doesn't know what they're doing and these things can happen.

I suspect they'll accept it.

Denny Nau, Sheriff
    Centre County Sheriff
    Centre County Courthouse
    Bellefonte PA 16823-1488
    Phone: (814) 355-6803
    dbnau@co.centre.pa.us

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Regarding York County, the Sheriff's Office requires that you pick up an application there. (I don't know whether they accept the standard form.) Application fee is $25 and there's a bizarre $25 fee for any denied application or any permit not picked up within a certain time period.

The sheriff's website states:

***YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PENNSYLVANIA DRIVERS LICENSE***
    ** OR A VALID PENNSYLVANIA ID CARD**

If you do not receive a denial letter within that three weeks, you must return to the Sheriff's office in person to pick up your permit.

This does not appear to be an easy county to get a permit from!

Sheriff William M. Hose
    York County Judical Center
    45 North George Street
    York, Pennsylvania 17401
    (717)771-9601

Even so, I thought I'd post the info. It's possible that Pennsylvania sheriffs are getting tired of Marylanders applying for their inexpensive permits. They should take pity on us for living in such a crappy state.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Forget the PA permit and go with FL. As stated earlier PA won't issue a non resident permit to a resident of any state that issues permits at all. Since MD does issue permits, even rarely, they qualify as such.
    Florida's fee is something like $180, which is prohibitive to many people.

There's got to be a better way!

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I just renewed my FL permit. It is $65 for the renewal, $42 for the fingerprint card processing, for a total of $107. I used my FL permit when I got it five years ago to get a PA permit for $20. Everything was done by mail.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    Go to www.packing.org to the FL page. It has the info and links to the FL Dept. of Agriculture & Consumer Services website where you can request the CCW packet which contains all the forms and info you will need.

MayoMan

Feb 27, 2007
    Harford County
    Does anybody know for sure that FL non-resident CCW permit is honored in PA. Part of the agreement makes it seem as it only applies to citizens of PA and FL. Later it appears that any valid CCW permit holder can carry.

The reciprocity agreement from the PA Attorney General's website reads as follows (color and bold added by me):

RECIPROCITY AGREEMENT

This Reciprocity Agreement by and between the State of Florida by and through the Florida Department of State, Division of Licensing, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by and through the Office of Attorney General.

WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Florida,

WHEREAS, the respective state offices are authorized by statute to enter into this Reciprocity Agreement,

WHEREAS, in consideration of the matters described herein, and of the mutual benefits and obligations set forth in this Reciprocity Agreement, the Parties hereby agree and covenant as follows:

The State of Florida will recognize valid Pennsylvania permits to carry concealed firearms by valid Pennsylvania permit holders while said permit holders are present in the State of Florida.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms as defined and authorized by the applicable statutes of Pennsylvania by valid license/permit holders from the respective states and not to any other types of weapons.

<snip>

This is also on the PA AG website:

A list of states and links to their firearms laws is provided below, along with the text of the agreements:

Alaska
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Alaska
    Read Alaska's official information on gun laws
    Florida
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Florida
    Review Florida's official information on gun laws
    Georgia
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Georgia
    Contact the Georgia Office of Attorney General
    Kentucky
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Kentucky
    Review Kentucky's official information on gun laws
    Michigan
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Michigan
    Review Michigan's official information on gun laws
    Missouri
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Missouri
    Review Missouri's official information on gun laws
    New Hampshire
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with New Hampshire
    Review New Hampshire's official information on gun laws
    North Carolina
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with North Carolina
    Read North Carolina's official information on gun laws
    Oklahoma
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Oklahoma
    Read Oklahoma's official information on gun laws
    South Dakota
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with South Dakota
    Read South Dakota's official information on gun laws
    Tennessee
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Tennessee
    Read Tennessee's official information on gun laws
    Texas
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Texas
    Review Texas's official information on gun laws
    Virginia
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Virginia
    Review Virginia's official information on gun laws
    Wyoming
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Wyoming
    Review Wyoming's official information on gun laws
    Although the right to carry a firearm in Pennsylvania is limited to residents carrying a concealed weapon permit from the states listed above, Idaho, Indiana, Montana, Oklahoma and Utah do allow any out of state resident with a valid concealed weapons permit from their home state to carry a weapon while in those respective states. Therefore, Pennsylvania residents with a valid concealed weapon permit may carry a firearm while in Idaho, Indiana, Montana, Oklahoma and Utah. These states also require a person to have the actual permit and a photo ID on their person while carrying the weapon.

Last edited:

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Just got my application today. Looks like all you need is to get the fingerprint card done (State Police will do this), take a photo of yourself, get a notary to sign off on your application (my bank will do this for free), and send a copy of my hunters safety course certificate. Then of course add $75 + $44 or so for the fingerprints.

Only questions:
    -This is good for five years before having to pay for renewal???
    -This give me the right to carry in Delaware???
    -This gives me no right to do anything in MD???

Thanks. I tell you, reading the legal requirments in FL makes me want to move there. So refreshing to see a state that treats you like an adult instead of like a child.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Just got my Fl CCW over the weekend. Just humorous that the Commissioner for the Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Liscensing is named Charles H. Bronson.

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    Allot of states a closing loop holes by not allowing out of state FL holders to carry in thier state i belive colorado is one

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This is posted in another thread in this forum:

From the PA Attorney General's website:

Quote:
    It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.
    (bold added by me)

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

It sounds like they made a mistake. I would call them or visit them in person if possible.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    This is posted in another thread in this forum:

It sounds like they made a mistake. I would call them or visit them in person if possible.

I think the link that you posted has to do with reciprocity, but to actually obtain a PA permit you have to have a permit in your home state, which is why I was denied. I have VA and FL permits now, so it is a moot point for me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I think the link that you posted has to do with reciprocity, but to actually obtain a PA permit you have to have a permit in your home state, which is why I was denied. I have VA and FL permits now, so it is a moot point for me.

Exactly correct.

I posted a lot of content here about the ins and outs of PA permits. Apparently they are getting stricter than they have been previously, before they followed "when in doubt issue the permit", and I know more than a few MDers who have a PA permit where a FL or VA permit was submitted with the application as recently as a year ago. It looks like PA is cracking down on them, the sheriff may refuse to renew them if they look into it deeper. But don't dispair, The FL permit legalizes all the same rights that a PA permit would. Before I moved to PA and got a resident permit, I carried here on my FL permit, I did keep a copy of this page from the PA AG on me though as some police officers do not know all the ins and outs of the reciprocity agreement, and if I got caught, I had something to back me up.

As far as the FL app goes, for most any MDer there is no need to pay someone to help with the app, you can gather everything you need in a few hours, a lot of people ask the same questions about them, here are at least some answers:

The MSP "handgun training certificate" that all MDers must have to buy handguns in MD fulfills the FL training requirement if it has an "instructor" signature (gun shop employee who baby sat you while watching the film) the card with the signature on the front has worked every time.

This is the schedule for the MSP fingerprinting service, available at all the barracks, they acept a check only, no cash, no credit cards, IIRC it costs $5. Look closely at the instructions, and bring them with you, I had to put the address and "MSP barracks G" under the employer slot on the card.

A standard passport photo can be had at any Wal-mart or sears with a portrait studio.

For most people, the "information privacy act" does not apply, there are a very specific set of requirements needed to fall under that, so if you don't fall under one of the categories listed in the instruction book do not check "yes"

the form can be notorized at your bank for free, most any UPS store location for $2, or PM 3rdRcn, I belive he is bringing his seal and book to the shoot.

Also, reguardless of the permit, make sure you look into where it is not legal to carry in any state that you plan on visiting, there are some odd ones. For instance in VA, you cannot CC in any place that serves alcohol, like Pizza Hut, or even some gun shows, OC is legal though. In Texas, if there is a posted "no weapons permitted..... registered under statute 30.06) sign, it is not legal to carry there, if the building is not registered, and the sign does not have the "30.06" certification, then it is only company policy, with no legal teeth. I also suggest keeping a copy of the page from the destination states reciprocity agreement, normally found on their AG's website, police do not always know the law, and having a verifiable copy of the agreement can keep you from spending a couple hours in the back of a squad car, and at booking until they clear up the mess.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Also, reguardless of the permit, make sure you look into where it is not legal to carry in any state that you plan on visiting, there are some odd ones. For instance in VA, you cannot CC in any place that serves alcohol, like Pizza Hut, or even some gun shows, OC is legal though. In Texas, if there is a posted "no weapons permitted..... registered under statute 30.06) sign, it is not legal to carry there, if the building is not registered, and the sign does not have the "30.06" certification, then it is only company policy, with no legal teeth. I also suggest keeping a copy of the page from the destination states reciprocity agreement, normally found on their AG's website, police do not always know the law, and having a verifiable copy of the agreement can keep you from spending a couple hours in the back of a squad car, and at booking until they clear up the mess.

Do you happen to know the restrictions in Delaware? I have been trying to find out with no luck. I caried at Chuck E Cheese's on Saturday and that big Rat was looking at me funny I tell ya! I don't trust him! :D

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Do you happen to know the restrictions in Delaware? I have been trying to find out with no luck. I caried at Chuck E Cheese's on Saturday and that big Rat was looking at me funny I tell ya! I don't trust him! :D

Not many restrictions in Delaware that I'm aware of other than the norm. St & Fed stuff. You can go to Delaware open carry and look around or ask some of the guys there to find out for sure. I know several of them have their permits as well.

http://www.deloc.org/deloc/index.php

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The MSP "handgun training certificate" that all MDers must have to buy handguns in MD fulfills the FL training requirement if it has an "instructor" signature (gun shop employee who baby sat you while watching the film) the card with the signature on the front has worked every time.

Awww, so the web version won't work for FL? I just sent my app in today.

overkill

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County
    I am looking to apply for the Utah non resident CCW. Just completed the class and have everything set to send. How strict are they? Any info would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom