• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I haven't seen anything here about this, so I want to get the word out.

There have been at least three robberies at PA state public shooting ranges within the last few months. The most recent robbery was a "sniper attack" on a lone shooter this past Wednesday. The killer got away with a new LMT AR-15 that had a YHM 7.62 suppressor. The prior robbery at the same range netted a .308 Rem. 700.

Another range had three guys robbed of an AR15 at gunpoint, but the police tracked and arrested the robber in Ohio and recovered a few guns.

A lot of info is at the SnowflakesInHell blog:
    http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2010/07/23/public-shooting-range-scenario/

And news articles:
    http://www.ellwoodcityledger.com/si...2724&PAG=461&dept_id=563781&rfi=6
    (...)Austalosh and Anthony Patrick Nicolaou, who owns the rifle, were at the range with a third friend, Drew Janek.

After Williams and his two friends talked with Austalosh, Nicolaou and Janek for a short time, police said, Janek and Nicolaou went downrange to move some targets and Williams went to his vehicle.

When Williams returned, he produced a handgun, put it to Austalosh's head and demanded the military-style rifle, police said. Williams also reportedly took multiple clips of ammunition, and Austalosh's cell phone and car keys.

The following day around 4:20 p.m., Youngstown police apprehended Williams and recovered the stolen AR-15 and ammunition, along with a handgun, later reported to be stolen.(...)

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/sto...le-range-shooting/rJo8ianQAEGbqaaNuQJ4Kg.cspx
    (...)The D.A. says someone shot him from a distance and took off with his rifle.I
    It happened Wednesday in broad daylight at a public shooting range on State Game land in North Middleton Township, Cumberland County.
    Getgen's body was found there around two Wednesday afternoon, by another person who came there to use the range.
    Investigators don't know yet if he was targeted or if this was random. (...)

Police are still looking for the shooter.
    Meantime they're asking firearms dealers to check their inventory to see if they may have a custom built AR-15 type semi-automatic rifle with a Lewis Machine Company model Defender 2000 lower receiver equipped with a 30 HRT upper receiver and a Yankee Hill Machine Company Phantom model 308 caliber silencer.

On May 21st, North Middleton Township Police say they another firearm was reported stolen from that same shooting range, where Getgen was killed. It was a 308 caliber Remington 700 tactical rifle.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I made a post about on a week back, mine was only one incident.

I made the point that the Range Officers and people on the range should always keep a holsered weapon on them to have a chance if this situation occurred. Sad part is most ranges prohibit it. :sad20:

I find it stupid to make rules like this for a place that loaded weapons occupy in the first place. :tdown: They say there isnt a "high enough risk" to warrant people carrying scary holstered handguns. :rolleyes:

A few idiots seem to think that having holstered weapons makes for an unsafe condition. Perhaps they should stop shooting and gind a less scary hobby. :lol2:

I guess they think no one should carry a loaded holstered weapon or take a dynamic shooting course with movements, weapon presentations, slinging, ect......Heads would explode and everyone would be die...:lol2:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Our local range got broken into a few months back, the bastards broke the new soda machine, and stole the $2.50 in quarters that was in it. I ALWAYS carry to during and from the range, keep an eye out for others, and if I am not shooting a particualr gun, it is either cleared and racked, or locked in the truck.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I guess they think no one should carry a loaded holstered weapon or take a dynamic shooting course with movements, weapon presentations, slinging, ect......Heads would explode and everyone would be die...:lol2:

Speaking of that I'd like to take a defensive course for personal protection and other situations... I want to get into IDPA shooting as well which may hone my dynamic/defensive weapon skills. Any recommendations in the DC area (within a reasonable distance, I understand a lot of courses are down in VA which is fine).

I must confess my training is limited to Army basic and target shooting, drills from a fixed position... definitely need to get more education in these skills.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    OK, this is just sick. That "sniper" shot is the worst - it killed a man and it was done by someone who knew what they were doing. What are the chances the gun will ever show up? Pretty much zero. The killer is keeping the swag for himself - it's obvious he likes guns.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Speaking of that I'd like to take a defensive course for personal protection and other situations... I want to get into IDPA shooting as well which may hone my dynamic/defensive weapon skills. Any recommendations in the DC area (within a reasonable distance, I understand a lot of courses are down in VA which is fine).

I must confess my training is limited to Army basic and target shooting, drills from a fixed position... definitely need to get more education in these skills.

+ 10. Would happily sign up for such courses if offered in Southern Maryland. Would like to train the entire family.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im not sure what courses are run around here since I dont do IDPA or IPSC. My training is all from Carbine and Pistol Classes.

I know Minuteman and Scottysan here at MDS do either IDPA or IPSC, and can help you find courses. :)

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Update: two CO's charged :eek:

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/sto...rges-for-shooting/T7TywdSx-0efWskrT3nupg.cspx

Two corrections officers from the State Correctional Institution at Camp Hill will be charged in the shooting death of a Cumberland County attorney and the theft of his custom, silenced rifle, authorities announced late Friday.

Raymond Peake, 64, of Hampden Township, Cumberland County will be charged with homicide, robbery and other crimes for the shooting death of Todd Getgen, 42, of Enola. The shooting happened last Wednesday at a State Game Commission rifle range in North Middleton Township, Cumberland County.

According to Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed, a witness told investigators they saw a man matching Peake's description driving away from the rifle range on the afternoon of Wednesday, July 21, the day Getgen was found shot to death.

On Thursday, July 29, officers began surveillance of Peake and followed him to a sporting goods store, where Freed said Peake purchased a gun cabinet. From there Freed said Peake drove to the Perry County home of Thomas Tuso, 34, of Duncannon, Perry County. Tuso is also a guard at SCI Camp Hill.

Freed told CBS 21 News that officers witnessed Peake carrying a heavy, black duffel bag out of Tuso's home. From there, detectives followed Peake to a storage unit facility south of Carlisle, Freed said. According to the district attorney, Peake then put the bag and the gun cabinet into a storage unit.

On Friday investigators executed three search warrants; at the storage unit, at Peake's home and at Tuso's home.

Freed said police found three firearms inside of the storage unit. One was Getgen's custom, silenced AR-15 rifle that was stolen from the range the day of his death. The second was a scoped Remington rifle that had been reported stolen from the same range in May. And the third gun was another AR-15 that Freed said ballistics may prove to be the murder weapon.(...)

There must be a heck of a backstory. The police were able to trace one suspect based off a probably vague description ("older white guy?")? I bet he was already on somebody's "list."

And what were those two turds up to? There are easier ways to get extra cash, if they were just looking to sell the rifles. Stockpiling stolen precision and specialized rifles + murder? This is really creepy.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/sto...rges-for-shooting/T7TywdSx-0efWskrT3nupg.cspx

There must be a heck of a backstory. The police were able to trace one suspect based off a probably vague description ("older white guy?")? I bet he was already on somebody's "list."

And what were those two turds up to? There are easier ways to get extra cash, if they were just looking to sell the rifles. Stockpiling stolen precision and specialized rifles + murder? This is really creepy.

Looks like domestic terrorist.... Good thing they got caught.. Awesome job to LEO.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Good investigating work there. If these two are in fact guilty, they deserve the same fate as John Allen Muhammad. And yeah, killing someone to steal a silenced rifle? When anyone with a clean record can buy one? Something sinister was in the works, here....

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Just a horrible event during what should have been a nice day at the range. I have given some family member in P.A. the heads while shooting at their State Game ranges. When I told my brother the tone of his voice sounded like his favorite hobby has been ruined a little. Now we all have to find a way to still enjoy the hobby and not be too suspect of the fellow shooters at the ranges, but be careful. I guess as more people are shooting expensive rifles and handgun the incentives are higher for lowlifes to jack people up.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Good investigating work there. If these two are in fact guilty, they deserve the same fate as John Allen Muhammad. And yeah, killing someone to steal a silenced rifle? When anyone with a clean record can buy one? Something sinister was in the works, here....

Very good point, they were up to something.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Glad they have some suspects in custody. I only pray no thugs catch wind of this and copy the method to secure similar weapons for themselves. Public ranges are basically off my list of places to go from now on, with a few exceptions.

Cresap Rifle Club is a great place to shoot. SEVERAL ROs on duty, somewhat confined and controlled space. I've never seen any unsafe activity there that was not immediately corrected. :thumbsup:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

If there were anyone ever deserving of the death penalty, it's these two. Cold, calculated, premeditated murder.

Deapsee

NaN
    May 1, 2009
    Calvert
    Hit?

When two prison guards kill an attorney my first thought is killing for hire. From several articles it seems only one guard actually did the shooting and the other may have stored the stolen gun and may not have known about the killing. Given that another stolen gun was retrieved it may be that the guard Raymond Peake is just a thief and killer.

<edit> :innocent0

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Related Media Poke: AR-15s don't use .308 suppressors AR-10s do.

Not necessarily.

YHM phantom = "multi-caliber"

From YHM's website:

This sound suppressor is designed so that it can be used with a Phantom 5.56 mm flash hider on a 5.56 mm rifle.
    This allows users to purchase one sound suppressor and use it on .30 caliber and 5.56 mm rifles.

I only know this because I've been eye-balling one.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    When two prison guards kill an attorney my first thought is killing for hire. From several articles it seems only one guard actually did the shooting and the other may have stored the stolen gun and may not have known about the killing. Given that another stolen gun was retrieved it may be that the guard Raymond Peake is just a thief and killer.

You can actually use a 308 suppressor on 6.8 and 5.56 in an AR platform.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

I've got an AR-15 chambered in .300 whisper (.308 bullets). What would happen if I put a .223 suppressor on there? :innocent0

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Speculation:

Gang members in prison "turn" some of their guards, through extortion and/or bribery. "Say, my friend on the outside is looking for a silenced sniper rifle. Any idea where he could find one? I know he'll pay good money for one. Oh, he wanted me to tell you, that was a very pretty dress your daughter was wearing to her elementary school yesterday..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom