• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I can see you have a conflict with the inconvenient "innocent until proven guilty" thing. Guilt must be proven, not innocence.

Carrying a firearm openly in PA is lawful, even in Philly (with a LTCF.)

The police need "multiple lawsuits and large settlements" before this crap stops.

And, believe it or not, police "rules" must be lawful, even when inconvenient.

fixed it for you.

I do agree with Blaster in one reguard, the police get their policy from their superiors, and should enforce the law and policy as it is written. In this case their superiors happened to come up with a crappy policy, can't fault the boots on the ground for it, but their superiors and the slumlord politicians that come up with it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    guys, my point in posting was not to start an argument but to increase awareness and foster spirited discussion. one reason i like MDS is the civility i find here. that's rare anywhere these days. especially the interwebz

i believe the reason that Philly believes to be legal is because a license is needed that's enough RAS to allow the check.

I dont know the answer and the courts will decide. But at least we know what we're dealing with. before that no one knew.

That's it for me anyway

no worries

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I don't like the "confiscate and unload" part.

With the gun handling skills of the "non gun guy" cops, that policy is just asking for an ND.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Been thinking about this for a bit, and I had a thought:

What if someone was CCing and temporarily exposed their firearm in front of a cop, or even prints? Not brandishing, say reaching up for something on a shelf. If the cop notices it, he's very likely to ask for a permit, right? CC is a lawful activity, yet I doubt very many among us would have a problem asking for the permit.

Also, somewhat separately, I view this as different (rightly/wrongly?) than in a place like VA where no permit is required to OC anywhere in the state. If an officer were to ask me for my ID after seeing me OC in VA, I'd politely decline, as OC comes with no permitting issues attached.

Just my two cents.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    BECAUSE THE LAW TELLS THEM TO DO IT. COPS do not make law, they just try to follow the rules like anyone else at a job. Do you follow the rules at your job? They only articulation they need is that they saw the person carrying a weapon out in the open. Sorry, no suspicion in this case because they see it.

That would not be a terry stop. A terry frisk is when the officer pats a suspect down through their outer clothing to look for a weapon.
    Cops don't make laws, they just try to enforce them. Don't shoot the messengers. Geezus

Police Directives are not "THE LAW"...

Once this hits the courts (and it will), it will be shown to be unconstitutional...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Shooting the messenger would definitely be suspicious;)

The problem I have isn't with the LEO's following their directives. It's the directives themselves. Particularly this part:

• Citizens are allowed to OC for personal defense
    • If you see a citizen doing this you should investigate, even in the absence of any reason to believe that they may be breaking the law.

I just see that as a conflict.

I get that it's better than before and will probably help keep some folks out of the pokey that may have otherwise had a trip there. But the fact is that Philly doesn't like the OC law and is going to make life difficult for people that don't do things their way. That's just wrong.

But my biggest question............. If all these people carrying OC are within their right (ccw holders), why are they carrying that way? Because anyone worth their salt carries concealed. There is no good tactical (read; self defense) reason to carry exposed. This is a shooting and self defense forum so the excuse " just because they want to carry that way" isn't going to fly.

Carrying exposed is not a deterrent to a criminal who doesn't care.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I think the way cops approach people carrying this way makes a HUGE difference. It may not change a person dislike for the law, etc... but softens the "stop" if the cop handles it in a meaningful manner.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    But my biggest question............. If all these people carrying OC are within their right (ccw holders), why are they carrying that way? Because anyone worth their salt carries concealed. There is no good tactical (read; self defense) reason to carry exposed. This is a shooting and self defense forum so the excuse " just because they want to carry that way" isn't going to fly.

Carrying exposed is not a deterrent to a criminal who doesn't care.

Because the media would have you believe that guns are evil and will kill people in a second so we all have to lock them away. OR we can openly carry and firearms become an everyday fact of life.

BTW, carrying concealed is not a deterrent to a criminal who doesn't care. The key part there is "lack of caring".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A. While I agree on the purely tactical aspect, there are others who disagree . Even at that OC can be done in manner to minamize the negatives to the point I'm willing to do so if have a reason.

B. It is part of a goal to "normalize" firearms by showing them to be semicommonly carried by regular, respectable people w/o incident.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The directive, misspellings aside, will perpetuate confusion regarding Pennsylvania law.

“CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS LICENSE” REFERS TO A SPECIFIC
    LICENSE ISSUED TO AN INDIVIDUAL AUTHORIZING THE PERSON
    TO CARRY A FIREARM CONCEALED ON HIS OR HER PERSON OR
    VEHICLE.

Problem is, Pennsylvania does not issue a “CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS LICENSE”. It issues a License To Carry Firearms. (LTCF). Concealed is only required in State Parks in Penna. The LTCF is only required for Open Carry in cities over 1,000,000 (= Philly).

Apparently, a lot of police and sheriffs in Pennsylvania are still confused about the law, and believe the licence is for concealed carry only. Calling the LTCF a “CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS LICENSE” just increases the confusion.

Now that there is this official directive repeatedly referring to this non-existent “CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS LICENSE”, I can see it's just going to perpetuate confusion among many people.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    It sounds like even if you have your permit openly displayed you will be disarmed and detained probably even cuffed until they get done checking out your entire history.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    the directive doesn't say that

IIRC he has a legal right to cuff you for his safety
    Although it is true someone can be cuffed while being detained, it may not be the right thing to do in this situation. HIGHLY unlikely it is a situation that will break bad.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It sounds like even if you have your permit openly displayed you will be disarmed and detained probably even cuffed until they get done checking out your entire history.

Openly displayed?? Do you wear it around your neck for all to see? Or on your back like a hunting license? Define that.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Because the media would have you believe that guns are evil and will kill people in a second so we all have to lock them away. OR we can openly carry and firearms become an everyday fact of life.

BTW, carrying concealed is not a deterrent to a criminal who doesn't care. The key part there is "lack of caring".

Again, what is a good, tactical reason for a civilian to carry a weapon out in the open? Why be at a disadvantage or make yourself a target?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Been thinking about this for a bit, and I had a thought:

What if someone was CCing and temporarily exposed their firearm in front of a cop, or even prints? Not brandishing, say reaching up for something on a shelf. If the cop notices it, he's very likely to ask for a permit, right? CC is a lawful activity, yet I doubt very many among us would have a problem asking for the permit.

Also, somewhat separately, I view this as different (rightly/wrongly?) than in a place like VA where no permit is required to OC anywhere in the state. If an officer were to ask me for my ID after seeing me OC in VA, I'd politely decline, as OC comes with no permitting issues attached.

Just my two cents.

:thumbsup: Spot on about Va and no permit requirement for open carry.

The opening of a vest or jacket during a movement does not constitute an open carry. These situations is where a cop's training and experience comes into play. Judgement call. Having been an LEO in Texas where they carry, I have been in many of those scenarios and didn't approach anyone who had their shirt open or print. It is a carry state and there is no reason to believe they DID NOT have a permit. I have been a cop in MD where I have seen guns flash from under cover and I did approach and ask. MD has a limited ccw so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary or "harrassment" to ask one if they were a cop or ccw holder. You just have to have tact at these times. Especially with such a sensitive subject.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You didn't ask for a "good" reason in your previous post. You simply asked for a reason. I gave you one. Biggfoot did a far better job of saying what I was getting at. http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=816252&postcount=49

So, what you(he) are saying is that you would open carry to try and "normalize" guns at the risk of your own and other's safety. Gotcha ;)
    So if we are getting down to semantics and digging deep now.......... I assume you practice your retentions skills daily, as often as you practice firing and scenarios, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom