• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Emissions inspection is a state mandate and I don't believe any county is exempt from it. I agree with most of the posters except on one issue. Lancaster is WAY better than our crummy sister city. Ya'll can just stay on your side of the river :D.

nothing but 19th century Gypsies and hood rats on your side of the river:D

plenty of counties are exempt from emissions, in PA it is up to the counties weither or not to participate in the state program

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    nothing but 19th century Gypsies and hood rats on your side of the river:D

plenty of counties are exempt from emissions, in PA it is up to the counties weither or not to participate in the state program

Oh man, now I have to tell people I was wrong once....about the emissions things, not about how crummy York is :D.

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    Yeah, I definitely need to get back to PA. If you want to talk small, no-stoplight town, I used to live in Atglen. Yeah, that kind of small.

survivorRob

Apr 1, 2009
    I have family who relocated to southern York county around the late 90s. At first they said it was great, but now they are bitching about the traffic and taxes. When the market recovers they are looking to move back to Maryland.

I just wonder how long it's going to be before they make 83 a toll road. You know it's coming.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    We settle on the 30th....two more days. We'll be in New Holland (acutally "East Earl"). To borrow from Mr. Scott: "CAN'T WAIT!":party29:

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I have family who relocated to southern York county around the late 90s. At first they said it was great, but now they are bitching about the traffic and taxes. When the market recovers they are looking to move back to Maryland.

I just wonder how long it's going to be before they make 83 a toll road. You know it's coming.

I can't disagree about the taxes. We're moving there shortly (mainly for the schools--don't get me started..), but it sure doesn't seem like you move to PA to save money on taxes. I can't see PA taxes being less than Marylands. Unless maybe you're renting and don't pay School Tax.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

We just came through Harrisburg, York and Shrewsbury at rush hour yesterday and honestly, they can keep it. Seems like the worst of all worlds to me....the horrible traffic without the positives of living here.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    As I posted here before - By moving into the Red Lion school district and within Windsor Township, my total annual tax burden (school, municipal and income) is somewhat less than what I paid living in Baltimore County.

School taxes are much higher in other school districts and Dallastown is probably the highest. Moving within a borough, or within York or Hanover, is higher municipal taxes too.

A competent real estate agent should be able to obtain a good faith estimate that includes an estimate of how much you will pay in school and municipal taxes.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Emissions vary by area, though I believe York does require testing.

Government structure is very different, school boards have their own taxing authority which can get rapidly out of hand. County authority is very limited, with borough's, townships and cities having the bulk of authority.

Even dry townships still exist.

Its a better place being a commonwealth, but far from perfect.

(I have one foot in MD and one in PA)

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    We just came through Harrisburg, York and Shrewsbury at rush hour yesterday and honestly, they can keep it. Seems like the worst of all worlds to me....the horrible traffic without the positives of living here.

You have to understand our wagon trail-road system before you can navigate our highways :D. Yes, traffic in the York/Harrisburg area can be brutal because EVERYONE in York works in Harrisburg and vice versa.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA

You have to understand our wagon trail-road system before you can navigate our highways :D. Yes, traffic in the York/Harrisburg area can be brutal because EVERYONE in York works in Harrisburg and vice versa.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

It can't be done. The interstate highway laws forbid turning a free highway into a tolled highway. PA recently planned to toll I-80 because truckers were using it instead of the turnpike. Feds said no.

The most they could do with I-83 is build "express lanes" which can be tolled because they weren't part of the original road.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I'm thinkin' about the area further to the East of Lancaster--closer to Delaware for the best of both worlds. Live in PA, shop and buy everything in Delaware. PA won't tax my military retirement pay and Delaware won't tax anything else. Still can drive to Baltimore to visit the grandkids.

TopShot0352

Feb 5, 2011
    Gettysburg
    I am moving to Gettysburg in Sept. can't wait! My cousin was selling her house and we wanted to go to pa anyway so it worked out just fine. GOODBYE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MD :party29:

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    So I'm in the house (New Holland area/ELANCO School district) ONE day and the tax bills arrive:

Property Tax.
    School Tax.
    Per Capita tax. (What the F*** is that about?)
    Street Light Tax (Repeat: What the F*** is that about?)
    County Tax.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    So I'm in the house (New Holland area/ELANCO School district) ONE day and the tax bills arrive:

Property Tax.
    School Tax.
    County Tax.

If your in New Holland have you joined that range yet? They do PA steel there and you will love it.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA

Property Tax.
    School Tax.
    County Tax.

I'm in York County and my tax bills came this week just as they do every year.

Per Capita (aka Head tax) is a small nuisance, like about $20 per year. Not sure about your Street Light Tax because I don't get one of those.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    If your in New Holland have you joined that range yet? They do PA steel there and you will love it.

Haven't joined any ranges yet. But I here there a pretty nice shop in town...The Sportsman Shop (does that sound right??). I've seen it on Main street but have yet to stop by.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Haven't joined any ranges yet. But I here there a pretty nice shop in town...The Sportsman Shop (does that sound right??). I've seen it on Main street but have yet to stop by.

I think their prices are kind of high but it's kinda slim pickins in this county for gun shops. OTOH you can be the first person on the boards to own a Ruger SR1911 :D.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    We're moving to Chester Co. next week, all the way from PG county. (What a relief that will be!!)

I have not done any searching here on the board, but what sort of registration/notice do I need to do in PA for handguns, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom