• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I plan to attend some gunshows in PA after i get my taxes back. I know i cant buy any handguns but what else cant i buy? I would like to possibly pick up an ar15 or a fal. Or a saiga if i find one.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I plan to attend some gunshows in PA after i get my taxes back. I know i cant buy any handguns but what else cant i buy? I would like to possibly pick up an ar15 or a fal. Or a saiga if i find one.

Anything regulated in Md.

Pretty much anything that is cash and carry (NICS check of course) in Md. you can buy in another state.

AR15 HBAR yes, FAL I'm not sure, Saiga - depends on the dealer's interpretation of Md. law.

Clear as mud sometimes.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Even buying a non-regulated gun can be a hassle in PA also. I purchased several Mosin Nagants at a York show and their version of NICS is called PICS (Pennsylvania whatever) and it was so backed up I had to wait almost 2 hours to complete the transaction. Still worked, just took a long time.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Even buying a non-regulated gun can be a hassle in PA also. I purchased several Mosin Nagants at a York show and their version of NICS is called PICS (Pennsylvania whatever) and it was so backed up I had to wait almost 2 hours to complete the transaction. Still worked, just took a long time.

PICS is typically the holdup with transfers in PA. If their systems gets backed up it can take 2-3 hours for them to come back with their response.

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    how about the reversal?

Can a PA resident buy any long gun that is regulated here and walk home with it?

( like a Fal, Non H-bar, UZI carbine, etc )

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    how about the reversal?

Can a PA resident buy any long gun that is regulated here and walk home with it?

( like a Fal, Non H-bar, UZI carbine, etc )

No. The transaction has to follow the laws of BOTH states.

...As well as federal laws. Interstate sales must at least be transferred through an FFL in buyers state of residence (federal and PA law). This is in addition to any MD requirements. ;)

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    You can purchase any unregulated firearm from a PA FFL (you CANNOT buy any gun from a non-licensee/private party if they are a resident of another state.)

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    AFAIK

An AK, non HBar AR or UZI carbine are cash and carry in PA after the PICS

So why wouldn't a PA resident being able to take it home?

Because of 7 days hold in MD?

Then let me ask this, what if a MD surrenders said long guns to an FFL in PA ?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I am buying all of my rifles and shotguns in PA now as the prices are much cheaper. So far I have had no problems or even waits as they run NICS/PICS. I am a PA permit holder, I don't know if that helps or just in my pocket. I do most of my buying in Clearfield County. Chris

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    AFAIK

An AK, non HBar AR or UZI carbine are cash and carry in PA after the PICS

So why wouldn't a PA resident being able to take it home?

Because of 7 days hold in MD?

Then let me ask this, what if a MD surrenders said long guns to an FFL in PA ?

An out of state buyer must follow the laws of the state they buy in, and the state of which they are a resident.

clarkcondor

Mar 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    I plan to attend some gunshows in PA after i get my taxes back. I know i cant buy any handguns but what else cant i buy?

Some vendors will send a handgun to a Maryland FFL and there is often a vendor that will assist hesitant vendors in transfers for a fee of course. I've bought a couple of handguns at the York shows last year and had them sent to Clyde's for MD paperwork. One should be prepared to pay in cash and have a signed copy of the recipient's FFL. I've found that the York vendors are much more open to doing this than the Chantilly vendors (unless Gus from Accurate is there in person to do the transfer)...

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    ...As well as federal laws. Interstate sales must at least be transferred through an FFL in buyers state of residence (federal and PA law). This is in addition to any MD requirements. ;)

All interstate transfers (with a few rare, limited exceptions) must go through an FFL.

For handguns, yes, it must be in the buyer's state of residence. Long guns, however, can go through an FFL in ANY state. That said, the laws of the buyer's home state, as well as the laws of the state where the transfer takes place, must be followed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom