• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I contacted Sheriff Neu via e-mail and received this response from him. Essentially, it says we're stuck with our stinking state government:

I would like to help; however, I cannot issue a license to carry a firearm to a Maryland resident without them first obtaining a license to carry from MD. I know it is near impossible for the average person to obtain a license in MD, however they are considered an “issue State” and therefore you need a license in MD first.

Pa. does have reciprocity with Virginia as well as Florida and Kentucky to name a few. Therefore, if you obtain a license to carry from any of those States or any other that Pa. has reciprocity, you can carry in Pa.

Sorry we can not assist you any further. New Jersey residences have the same problem with only a few able to obtain a license to carry, but the State is still considered an issue state.

Good luck and if you have any further questions, feel free to contact me again.

Most counties in Pennsylvania require that you pick up the permits personally. Even non-residents are required to do this. It seems the only way around it is for Pennsylvania to change its laws. I don't know how close Maryland is to becoming a "shall issue" state as opposed to "may issue" or, as it seems to be now, a "who do you think you are, a f---ing judge or celebrity" state.

I'm going to cancel my organ donor status in fear that a liberal Maryland citizen or politician might get it.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I wonder if he's following instructions from the PA Attorney General? I can't imagine that the sheriff would make this up on hi own and then offer a way around it by describing the va/pa reciprocity agreement.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I think Sheriff Neu would like to issue permits to non-residents from MD, but he has his hands tied by the law. Here are the relevant sections of the PA and MD code that prevent him from issuing to us.

From the PA code:
    § 6109. Licenses.

(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state...

And here is the MD code that supposedly makes this state an issuing state as per the PA requirement:

§ 5-306. Qualifications for permit.

(a) In general.- Subject to subsection (b) of this section, the Secretary shall issue a permit within a reasonable time to a person who the Secretary finds:
    Of course, we are all too familiar with the following line, which in reality makes MD a no-issue state:
    (ii) has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.

As you can unfortunately see, Sheriff Neu has his hands tied as his state requires residents of issuing states to have a permit from their home state, and the official MD code states that MD is a shall issue state :deal: :banghead: . If only Delegate Dwyer could have been successful in removing that line of death last year...

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I obtained a Florida CCW permit completely by mail five years ago. I was then able to get a PA CCW permit from Sheriff Nau almost five years ago, also done without having to appear in person, by sending a copy of my FL permit. With these two, I can legally carry in 28 states, except here in MD of course.
    Pauln

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    That is why National Reciprocity is needed. Force CCW permits to be recognized as driver's licenses in other states. I know it would enrage CA, IL, MD, NJ, NY and HI but tough, deal with it. The majority of states are shall-issue and I think they ought to be recognized nationally.

Matt

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    That is why National Reciprocity is needed. Force CCW permits to be recognized as driver's licenses in other states. I know it would enrage CA, IL, MD, NJ, NY and HI but tough, deal with it. The majority of states are shall-issue and I think they ought to be recognized nationally.

Matt

I agree with you .....We should be allown...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom