• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I wanted to post a report on the windsor fish and game rifle range for both folks north of the border, and northern Marylanders looking for a nice place to shoot.

This is a private range, and does require a membership to shoot here, but they make it extremely easy to join, and are always looking for new members. To join, you simply show up for a meeting (7pm first monday every month), submit a completed application (available here in .pdf) and pay $25, that is it, $15 to renew annually. There is also no need to know any "sponsors", and if you do not mark down any, the club president and VP will sponsor you. At the meetingthere is a quick tour and orientation, publicly discuss all future plans and available assets, then they basically say hi, and they vote you in (a formality, everyone gets in).

As far as shooting there goes, there are few members that shoot year round, so the range is empty most of the time. There are about 10 rifle positions, and 4 pistol positions. Most any ammo type is available, as are most weapons, except for full auto which is not allowed. At this time, paper targets are all that is allowed with berms and frames at 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards. If there is nobody shooting rifles, you are allowed to go forward of the line, and practice holster draws and combat shooting at any distance using the 25yd frames, rapid fire is allowed at any position.

This range is funded and run by members and for members, there are few "official" ROs, and basically we police ourselves. The dues and donations from members and area buisnesses are invested, and the proceeds are used to fund the range, improvements, and all the insurance and utilities. This is a terrific bargain for a quiet local range, and would be a great place to visit if you want to try some disciplines normally not allowed at MD public ranges. Members can take a single guest at any time, but after 2 trips, guests are encouraged to join. There are a few competitions held, mostly for black powder.

Range facilities include a clubhouse, heated bathroom, and soda machine with a small parking lot. There is also an archery range with blocks and 3D deer supplied with both standing and tree stand positions out to 40 yards.

The range is located at 70 adair road in Windsor, PA, about 15 minutes north of the baltimore county/PA line, and 20 minutes west of PA exit 8 off of I83. I live literally 5 minutes away, so if anyone is looking to check it out PM me, and you can be my guest, or come to a meeting and become a fellow member.

Windsor fish and game

IMAGE_084.jpg

IMAGE_085.jpg

IMAGE_086.jpg

IMAGE_087.jpg

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Thanks for the range report. Couple of questions if I may, because I'm thinking about it.

Do they allow rapid (not auto of course) fire as long as it is aimed? ETA: Err, scratch that, I see you already answered that. Need to work on my reading comprehension......

Do they allow position shooting, standing, prone, etc?

Some ranges in PA used to enforce some weird state rule about no more than 6 rounds in a loaded mag. I think that might only apply to public ranges but they don't have anything like that do they?

Thanks---

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the range report. Couple of questions if I may, because I'm thinking about it.

Do they allow rapid (not auto of course) fire as long as it is aimed? ETA: Err, scratch that, I see you already answered that. Need to work on my reading comprehension......

Do they allow position shooting, standing, prone, etc?

Some ranges in PA used to enforce some weird state rule about no more than 6 rounds in a loaded mag. I think that might only apply to public ranges but they don't have anything like that do they?

Thanks---

As long as the rounds don't leave the property, they can care less as to how fast you dump them out. As long as you have control, and they can see you hitting a target and the rounds are staying on the berm it is fair game.

I tried to show in the pics, there are benches at all but 2 spots, those are designated for position shooting. They prefer you only shoot prone when no-one else is there to minimise the tripping hazard. There is also no assigned berm for pistols and rifles, shoot rifles at 25, pistols at 200 if you want.

I belive that weird PA law on mag capacity only applies to public ranges, not to private ranges, and every single range that I know of in PA is technically a "private range", if nothing else they will give you a "membership card" for free, and you pay "dues" by the hour. At Windsor, full beta mags and belt feds are fine, as long as they are semi-auto, or the selector is on semi. There are even a few members shooting with suppressors and specialty ammo like tracers. They even allow you to bring a small charcoal grill to tailgate in between rounds if you like, and for some of the Powderhorn black powder shoots there are people who camp out overnight on the grounds. Smoking is also permitted off of the firing line. All that is asked is that you leave the range as you found it, lock the gate behind you, and do not leave any fires unattended.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    That sounds like a nice place and a nice price. I think it's too far for me to go though. Now that we aren't moving we need to find a long-term place to shoot that in-expensive.

Thanks for the report.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    That would be great Spot! I think alucard should organize it. Give us plenty (2+ months) of notice. I would love to meet some of you in person.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The next opportunity I would have to even ask is at the meeting next month. I know they host the powderhorn shoots, they are a "powderhorn affiliate club", so they can get around all the BS laws reguarding public ranges, not sure how it would affect us though.

Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Google maps says that place is about 50 miles away from me. Not bad. I am off next Monday as well. Might make the trip.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Is Windsor Fish and Game still easy to join? I would like to join and the form now requires 2 sponsors.

I have heard as recently as last year that this range is very relaxed about the sponsor requirements. I have personally seen folks show up at meetings and get sponsored by regular members, on the spot. You should be fine. They are really laid back. Except about targets. They really don't like anything but paper.

Also, although alucard's OP and pics are several years old, this range is still every bit as nice, clean, quiet, and relatively unused as his pictures show. Definitely a good deal for the money, especially for a Red Lion resident! ;)

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    Well the fiance and I are moving to Hanover (having a house built) around October, so I think I found my new range! I'll definitely have to come out to a meeting and check it out

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Depending on what you are looking for in a range, Windsor can be a great place. One of the nice things about PA, as opposed to my home state of Maryland, is the abundance of ranges. I live in east york, and I'll bet I can count a dozen or so within 10 miles of my house. The same can be said of Hanover.

Just for starters there is the Adams County Sport Handgunners Association just to the north in Gardners PA, and the Jefferson Sportsman's Association in Codorus, PA, just to the east. The only problem with Windsor is that it is the opposite end of the county, and you have to drive right past some nice ranges to get there. There is nothing like having your favorite 3 ranges all within a 20 minute drive or so!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's a nice place. There's a horn and light switch you flick if you want a cease-fire to go forward of the line.

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    Curmudgeon, did you join back up at Windsor? Me and a buddy of mine from work (both live in PA and work in Cockeysville) are going to the meeting & new member orientation on Monday to see if we can get acquainted.

I'td be awesome to meet (yet) another MD expat living in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom