• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Last week I was open carrying in the Shrewsbury area and went into the Wal-Mart there, as I was walking into the store a Pennsylvania State Trooper was coming out. I am pretty sure he saw my firearm but said nothing. This got me wondering, has anyone else had any experience with LEOs in the southern York Co area while open carrying?

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Does middle York county count? As it happens I rarely get down that way.

I have had encounters that include conversations, as opposed to simply passing each other, with...

A Sgt from York city PD
    Numerous officers of YCPD
    Numerous officers of York Area Regional PD
    4 PSP Troopers

I have OC'd at least a half dozen times to York City Council meetings, 2 of which had an Officer present, and 2 of which had the Mayor of Reading and York Police Chief present.

I have also spent time at my range alongside my US Congressman Todd Platts and his son, and the York PD Quick Response Team (QRT / swat) who belong to the same range I do.

I guess the range is sort of cheating, but maybe you'll indulge me because I was OCing a full-size 1911 in leather DeSantis OWB holster.

Although I have heard and read accounts of folks having less than stellar encounters in York City and County, all mine have been very positive, especially from this former Marylander's perspective. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I mentioned it in my last sentence, but yes. I have yet to have what I consider to be a negative encounter with anyone.

Twice I was asked to put it in my car, each time I declined (not remotely a good idea to leave a handgun in a car IMHO), and each of the 2 times the encounter ended the way I wanted it to, and ended very friendly and positively. Both of these encounters were in 2008.

For the curious, the first was the manager of Cobblestones, a sports bar in downtown York, the second was the assistant manager of my local Walmart. I have been back to both places since while OCing without any problems.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    That's certainly possible, and an understandable assumption. When someone inquires about my open carry I usually ask where they're from. So far all Marylanders have been positive and wanted the scoop so they could look into getting started themselves. I am constantly amazed at the number of people who tell me they grew up in PA, but have no idea what the laws are here. Most commonly they think they need a permit to get the gun to the range. :facepalm:

IIRC, at last tally, approximately 1 out of every 15 people in York County has their PA LTCF. Based on my casual observations they must be collecting dust in the sock drawer.

PA is supposed to have the highest percentage of NRA members of any state in the US, but I think most of them believe the 2A protects their right to hunt rabbits. Although at this point I admit I'm just ranting. Having spent the first 48 years of my life in Maryland I suspect the 2A has a value for me that many Pennsylvanians don't get.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    I spent the first 52 years of my life in Maryland, but I have only openly carried here in Pennsylvania about a dozen times - usually when somebody has organized an open carry event. However, since I moved I carry concealed nearly every day since I got my Pennsylvania carry permit.

I have heard stories of bad encounters with open carry at certain Wal-Marts, including Shrewsbury, and places in Stewartstown, but never had anyone question me the few times that I openly carried.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I spent the first 52 years of my life in Maryland, but I have only openly carried here in Pennsylvania about a dozen times - usually when somebody has organized an open carry event. However, since I moved I carry concealed nearly every day since I got my Pennsylvania carry permit.

I have heard stories of bad encounters with open carry at certain Wal-Marts, including Shrewsbury, and places in Stewartstown, but never had anyone question me the few times that I openly carried.

This is exactly what I mean. Your LTCF certainly isn't rotting away in your sock drawer! ;)

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    IFor the curious, the first was the manager of Cobblestones, a sports bar in downtown York, the second was the assistant manager of my local Walmart. I have been back to both places since while OCing without any problems.

Which Walmart? West or East York?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom