• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Hello All...

PA is on the top of the list of my move to state after retirement since they don't hit my retirement.

So, living in MD with a few odd guns laws, I was wondering what odd laws they may have.

such as banned any specific weapons, mag restrictions, are they ok with 03 holders, etc. Does living in certain places in PA (counties?) have less restrictive laws than others? Perhaps someone could direct me to the best place to look this stuff up. I found the PAFOA site and found some good info there.

Thanks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    such as banned any specific weapons, mag restrictions, are they ok with 03 holders, etc. Does living in certain places in PA (counties?) have less restrictive laws than others? Perhaps someone could direct me to the best place to look this stuff up. I found the PAFOA site and found some good info there.

Stay out of the Philly/Scranton corridor and you will be fine.

Make sure you get a LCTF, otherwise transportation laws can be a pain.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    You can open carry...And if you want a concealed carry permit, you can just walk in and come out with one 15mins later....Weird right? (If you grew up in Md like me.)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The gun laws are simple, amongst the best in the country provided you stay away from Philly. Philly tries all they can do to pass their own gun laws, harass gun owners, especially those that carry, and ignore state pre-emption laws, most everywhere else in PA follows state law, and leaves us alone. You can buy whatever you want whenever you want, no waiting, no limit per month, no banned features, no "regulated" long guns, or banned "assault pistols", you fill out a 4473 for any purchase, and an additional simple 1 page state form for handguns. There can be some subtle differences in application procedures between counties being the sheriff issues carry permits, handles NFA and FFL paperwork. Most of the laws have a strong state pre-emption, so localities can't pass their own laws. The transport law is nearly identical to MD though, unless you have a carry permit, then you can carry whatever you want however you want.

There are some odd hunting statutes too, like no semi-autos for hunting, manual action only. Open carry doesn't require a permit, but you have to unload it and box it up if you want to drive anywhere without a permit. York county permits are about $20 for 5 years, download, fill out(takes 5 minutes) and send in the simple 1 page app(no fingerprints, notorizing or BS), you get a call a day or two later to go down to the sheriff's office, get a picture and pick up your permit. The gun culture up here is also very good, carry and gun ownership is very common, and there are lots of small private ranges to shoot at, gun prices tend to be lower than MD, there are more gun shops, and more gun shows, same as most things, some places are better than others.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Bikebreath is correct. I have seen people get hemmed up driving around with a pistol in their car 'after the range' stopping to get something to eat. And, if I remember correctly, transport in vehicle has a max penalty of up to three years in jail. That would prevent you from owning/possessing a firearm. (I think it's two year max sentence for felony and three years for misdemeanor).

It's simply not worth the risk. Seperate container; locked up seperate from ammo and don't lolligag on the way home. Besides if if you were found not guilty, case was nol prossed, etc. the money you spent on a lawyer you probably could have bought two more guns. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At least as much as the laws is the difference in attitude of the general public ( at least outside imedate Phila area) . Unlike Md where the sound of gunshots in the distance triggers a full PD callout , in Pa it is usually an unremarkable part of everyday life.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Grew up in Pa, but I'm not thinking about retiring there. Gun laws are great, but the winters are too cold and too much snow. Hunting is excellent. And they wouldn't tax my military retirement, but I want somewhere warmer. NC where the daughter is located is my best bet. Gun friendly.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    NC's "Gun Friendly " status depends on how you look at it. No problems with getting the permit, but they have a laundry list of off limit places in the State Law.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    You should look it up, but generally, you are permitted to have a handgun in your car if you are transporting it going or coming from a gun shop/gunsmith, range or gun competition. Stopping along that route is not supposed to happen.

I am clearly not a lawyer.

Very similar in PA without a LTCF.

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Search for "PA Uniform Firearms Act" and read the laws for yourself. It's really the best way to know. Don't blindly trust anyones information, even stuff in this thread can get you in trouble if you put too much faith into it. (Like "box it up unloaded and seperate from ammo" to drive somewhere to open carry)

Big things to remember:
    No loaded long guns in a vehicle. Period. Even with a carry license.
    No carry (Open or concealed) in a 'city of the first class' without a license. (Pa or reciprocal)
    Except under a few specific, limited circumstances, no handguns in a vehicle (even unloaded) without a Carry license (From any state)
    Read the Uniform Firearms Act and know where you legally can and can't carry.

Remember, some guy off an internet forum isn't the one going to jail/losing his rights, if you break the law. Read it yourself, and if you're still confused, an attorney is the best source for legal advice. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. (Unless, apparantly, you're law enforcement, but that's another story for another thread....)

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    If you hunt, you may want to check out their laws, they are pretty goofy. But if you prefer to use your great great grandfather's flint lock muzzleloader, then your g2g... Enjoy

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    NO semi auto's for deer hunting. :sad20:

That one has always made me wonder. Maybe after WW II they figured the returning vets would turn the hills into free fire zones with the surplus Garands that were around??

If that is PA's worst law, I can accept it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't wan to be a test case, but there is nothing in MD Statute 4-203 about not stopping when engaged in one of the exceptions. I have stopped to use the bathroom and gone through a drive in window. Prosecutors look at the totality of a situation.

Lock the guns up in your trunk or have a locking case if an SUV or similar vehicle. Don't unlock it til you get to your destination and don't consent to a search by LE

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    I looked at the PAUFA, and did not see any guidance on use.
    If one owns an acre, can one shoot a .22 in one's own land? There would be other lots and homes near on similar sized lots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom