• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theshiz

Dec 2, 2012
    Ellicott City
    Hi All,
    Thought somebody here might have 1st hand knowledge/experience with the same or similar issue... I purchased my first rifle (S&W M&P 15 223/5.56 - 811024) from Bud's Gun Shop online and designated an FFL near me for the transfer. Problem is that the rifle comes with a 30rnd mag, Bud's can't change that and it's illegal to ship/transfer a 30rnd mag in MD - a fact of which I'm NOW aware - doh! Luckily it's not illegal to purchase a 30rnd mag out of state and carry it back (pretty silly, but par for the course in MD law). Bud's customer service isn't open to discuss with them right now, but my hope is that I can just designate an FFL in New Freedom (I live in Ellicott City, but welcome the opportunity to visit my mother in Sparks) to do the transfer. I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar problem or experience and can provide guidance as to whether my hopes will be dashed or if I'm on the right track?
    Thanks!
    - John

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Hi All,
    Thought somebody here might have 1st hand knowledge/experience with the same or similar issue... I purchased my first rifle (S&W M&P 15 223/5.56 - 811024) from Bud's Gun Shop online and designated an FFL near me for the transfer. Problem is that the rifle comes with a 30rnd mag, Bud's can't change that and it's illegal to ship/transfer a 30rnd mag in MD - a fact of which I'm NOW aware - doh! Luckily it's not illegal to purchase a 30rnd mag out of state and carry it back (pretty silly, but par for the course in MD law). Bud's customer service isn't open to discuss with them right now, but my hope is that I can just designate an FFL in New Freedom (I live in Ellicott City, but welcome the opportunity to visit my mother in Sparks) to do the transfer. I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar problem or experience and can provide guidance as to whether my hopes will be dashed or if I'm on the right track?
    Thanks!
    - John

The FFL can have the mag sent to them they just cant transfer it to you.

They might not be willing to do that...just ask them.

The other option is have it transfered through an out of state FFL.

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    They won't ship until it is solved but won't in md send a 30 rd Mag rifle. They delayed my order once to verify that my FFL i used was going to fire my gun for a shell casing. If they won't ship here I recommend posting a where to find a m&p add. Many people will give you an answer and I know buds is cheap but I've seen some good deals on industry partners posts lately.

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    I would cancel order - stay within MD laws - 30 rd mags not permitted to be shipped to/ nor sold in MD.

I would not expect Bud's would ship the firearm with mag to MD.

Call visit local IP to see if they can get firearm with 20 rd mag.

Or change order with Bud's for a version of firearm with 20 rd Mag max.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I would cancel order - stay within MD laws - 30 rd mags not permitted to be shipped to/ nor sold in MD.

They can ship to an FFL in MD. The FFL cannot sell or transfer in the state. Most FFL's will in-turn ship that mag to an address out of state.

theshiz

Dec 2, 2012
    Ellicott City
    That's interesting info - especially since their customer service folks specifically stated (in e-mail): "We cannot ship this gun to Maryland, it comes from the manufacturer with a 30rd mag which is not legal in your state. We cannot switch out the mag or ship the gun without a mag." To me, that reads that they simply won't even ship to Maryland - regardless of FFL or not... I'm going to call them tomorrow to talk it through though and will post back the results of that discussion.

theshiz

Dec 2, 2012
    Ellicott City

Oh yeah, definitely not trying to break the law - that's the last thing on my mind and I wouldn't expect/ask anybody else to break the law either. I've looked for that same rifle with a lower capacity or no mag, but no joy. I'm going to discuss with Bud's customer service tomorrow morning. Who knows - maybe they just don't know that they can ship 30rd mags to MD as long as an FFL is the recipient or maybe they just don't care to get into the details of the MD law. I'll find out tomorrow...

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    Oh yeah, definitely not trying to break the law - that's the last thing on my mind and I wouldn't expect/ask anybody else to break the law either. I've looked for that same rifle with a lower capacity or no mag, but no joy. I'm going to discuss with Bud's customer service tomorrow morning. Who knows - maybe they just don't know that they can ship 30rd mags to MD as long as an FFL is the recipient or maybe they just don't care to get into the details of the MD law. I'll find out tomorrow...

In purchasing over internet I always call MD FFL first for many reasons: courtesy, their stock, ordering ability, acceptance from particular online supplier.

Good luck but I don't think Bud's will ship no matter what your MD FFL says.

GalleryOfGuns - they won't ship a handgun unless it comes from manufacturer/distributer with a spent casing even though MD FFLs do it themselves or send it out for spent casing.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    That's interesting info - especially since their customer service folks specifically stated (in e-mail): "We cannot ship this gun to Maryland, it comes from the manufacturer with a 30rd mag which is not legal in your state. We cannot switch out the mag or ship the gun without a mag." To me, that reads that they simply won't even ship to Maryland - regardless of FFL or not... I'm going to call them tomorrow to talk it through though and will post back the results of that discussion.

This may simply just be Bud's rules. Marylands laws will allow the Maryland FFL to receive 30 round magazines. If it is Bud's rules, I do not see them making an exception. Sorry.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    Bud's WILL NOT ship it to MD...I know from a month ago. Even if the sales person puts it through....they will call the next day and cancel it...also charging your credit card and asking if you would like a store credit. After about 40 minutes on the phone they will put your money back on the card.

Your mileage may vary.

:party29:

theshiz

Dec 2, 2012
    Ellicott City
    Bud's WILL NOT ship it to MD...I know from a month ago. Even if the sales person puts it through....they will call the next day and cancel it...also charging your credit card and asking if you would like a store credit. After about 40 minutes on the phone they will put your money back on the card.

Your mileage may vary.

:party29:

Good 1st hand info...Thanks! I think I'll check with an FFL just over the line in PA to see if they'll do the transfer for me with the incl. 30rnd mag. If so, I'll have it shipped to them... We'll see though...

theshiz

Dec 2, 2012
    Ellicott City
    UPDATE: Bud's won't ship to a MD FFL and they won't even ship to an out-of-state FFL (PA, WV, or VA) who could legally transfer the rifle w/ 30rd mag to me. Their explanation: "If the rifle is not 100% legal to be shipped to the state of the resident, then they won't process the order; regardless of perfectly legal methods." Oh well, their loss. I'll find one elsewhere...

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    I bought from them before. Then they canceled my order because it came with a 30rd mag and they wouldn't just take it out and ship it...

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    In the past I just have them pull the magazine and keep it.
    I know I am losing out on a mag, but the price of the riffle is a huge savings anyway compared to what you pay locally.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Silliness, because FFLs in Maryland can receive 30 round mags; they just can't resell or transfer them to a Maryland resident. I have any number of distributors who will ship me ARs with 30 round mags.

I get S&W M&P 15 AR rifles all day long with 30 round mags and just swap them out from the stockpile of Magpul 20 rounders I keep on hand so as to be able to serve the customer and comply with the law. Maryland FFLs can then legally sell the 30 round mags out of state.

One more good reason you should patronize your local shop instead of the faceless online retailers. That $35 or $40 savings ends up biting you on the rear more often than not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom