• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justice

Apr 18, 2013
    So my dad and I wanna start competing in some steel pistol matches. I live in smd and he lives up in western MD. Driving is no problem. Where and when are some upcoming events?
    Thanks

justice

Apr 18, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply! I can't seem to bring up the website for them though. Is there another website I could check for the times and cost etc.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    next weekend (incl fri and maybe thurs) is the PSA Shootout (www.psashootout.com). all falling steel and a LOT of fun. not sure if they have any room left, but folks always cancel at last minute so wouldn't hurt to try. just outside hershey, pa.

also york is doing a steel challenge in july i believe, www.yorkiwlaipsc.com

mostly cardboard but some steel, and perhaps a mid-point between s and w md, summit point (walnut ridge) and peacemaker do uspsa. vs the typical steel matches where you remain stationary while shooting, uspsa (and idpa) are shooting on the move. peruse thru the competition thread for more info.

justice

Apr 18, 2013
    Thanks everyone for all the help! My dad and I are looking at going to some black creek steel matches and possiby some of the monocascy ones. Now to get onto the even bigger topic of equipment. We have one 1911 .45 and one 1911 .22 should we bring both? What else should we bring? I know everyone says a lot of ammo. But around how much? 200? 500? Thanks again for all of your help.
    Justice

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You can use both of them at the MPC Speed Steel event on the 2nd Sat. of the month. The falling steel events on the first weekend are limited to centerfire only. The rimfire falling steel on the 2nd Sun is limited to .22 LR but you can also use .22 rifles.
    The bowling pin match on the 3rd Sat. (that was today) can also be shot with both guns.
    Most matches you need to bring between 100-150 rounds of ammo. That is about the same for a USPSA or IDPA, but for those matches you need a holster and the ability to know how to draw properly. For the matches at MPC you don't need to know how to do that. But we can teach you how if you want to be able to do it correctly.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Email ahead of time for Blackcreek in regards to the 22. Not sure if it is allowed during a normal match.

Talk real nice and I will loan you a 9mm for the match!

Steve

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    I've seen a .22 rimfire pistol used at the Black Creek Steel Match, but only once by an elderly shooter. It may well have been a special circumstance and a one-time thing. Regardless, it was a problem as there is mainly falling steel at these matches and the .22 rimfire was not able to knock most of them down. The RO had to call hits for the falling steel that did not fall.

http://blackcreeksteel.wordpress.com/

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    I've seen a .22 rimfire pistol used at the Black Creek Steel Match, but only once by an elderly shooter. It may well have been a special circumstance and a one-time thing. Regardless, it was a problem as there is mainly falling steel at these matches and the .22 rimfire was not able to knock most of them down. The RO had to call hits for the falling steel that did not fall.

http://blackcreeksteel.wordpress.com/

I've been there several times, and I have not seen anyone shooting .22lr. I agree that it would be difficult to shoot the stages with .22 because there are several dueling trees, poppers or Texas stars that would require a little more oomph to shoot. They are really calibrated for 9mm or larger.

If you go to Black Creek, some of the stages require 25+ rounds. Since it's steel, you have to hit the target to complete the shot, so it's a good idea to have 5-6 mags (if single stack 1911), a good holster, and mag holsters. Lots of guys shoot single stack out there, and a few revolver guys as well, but most people shoot 9mm double stacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom