• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The business partner 100% has them, and in which case they were either stolen after your uncle's death, or transferred illegally before, UNLESS partner can produce paperwork, which it sounds like he can't. 100% sick the police on him.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    IIRC there are gun-theft reporting requirements in Maryland law. Verify this (too busy to do that myself, sorry for the burden) and if so you don't want to be out of compliance for a failure to report in a timely manner.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    IIRC there are gun-theft reporting requirements in Maryland law. Verify this (too busy to do that myself, sorry for the burden) and if so you don't want to be out of compliance for a failure to report in a timely manner.

This is for an estate so all the paperwork must be filed for the estate first. This is the issue. It's being handled by people a lot smarter than me.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

While I agree reporting ASAP is a good idea, they weren't OP's firearms so I don't think he would be on the hook for any penalties due to failure to report.

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    Anybody can file a police report if they know about a theft; opening the estate shouldn’t be a condition precedent to filing a report. The estate would need to be open to receive and transfer the firearms if they were recovered, but you should be able to file a police report today with the information you have. I assume a report of that many stolen firearms will get the requisite attention from MSP.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Update. As thought by the Estate my Uncle's POS business partner has admitted to the Estates attorney that he is in fact in possession of the firearms and will supposedly will surrender the firearms to the Estate or the Estate's attorney. I will hold my breathe. As this is the 4th different story he's told. Charges are pending just an FYI!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Update. As thought by the Estate my Uncle's POS business partner has admitted to the Estates attorney that he is in fact in possession of the firearms and will supposedly will surrender the firearms to the Estate or the Estate's attorney. I will hold my breathe. As this is the 4th different story he's told. Charges are pending just an FYI!

:thumbsup:

Good luck!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

Good news. Hopefully once he surrenders that Rigby and the other gear he gets to surrender himself.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

:thumbsup:

I'll never understand the entitlement that goes on when people pass away.

This guy should consider himself lucky if all he gets charged with is larceny.

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    Weird question:
    How could you prove that those guns were your Uncle’s property, and therefore part of the estate? Were they listed in the will?
    I’m thinking that long guns purchased long time ago were never registered, and also, the POS sleazy business partner could claim that he purchased them cash five years ago.
    Sorry, estates become complete cluster f’s...

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    While I agree reporting ASAP is a good idea, they weren't OP's firearms so I don't think he would be on the hook for any penalties due to failure to report.

After the death of the uncle, those firearms became the responsibility of someone. Maybe that someone is the executor? Either way, the person who controls the firearms may well have the obligation to report their theft. There likely is not a "no man's land' where no one is responsible for the care and custody of firearms.

Good luck! Until it happens...the check is in the mail...I love you... I wont c__ in your mouth... and other great lies.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

Good. F that POS.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Weird question:
    How could you prove that those guns were your Uncle’s property, and therefore part of the estate? Were they listed in the will?
    I’m thinking that long guns purchased long time ago were never registered, and also, the POS sleazy business partner could claim that he purchased them cash five years ago.
    Sorry, estates become complete cluster f’s...

It would come down to whatever supporting facts are out there. For instance, who buys so many guns that are worth so much without something in writing? When did the decedent's children and others last see the firearms at the decedent's house?

I guess this is also one of the problems with all the firearm horse trading that has taken place in the past at yard sales, estate sales, face to face, etc. Lots of firearms changing hands with cash and no paperwork whatsoever. Just hard to believe that would be the case though with such a large collection.

Also, if it was the business partner's story that he paid for the firearms outright, then why say he had them listed on consignment for the decedent? When the story continues to change, there has to be a lie or more in there somewhere.

The death of a person brings people together, until the Will is read and then it breaks them apart. I've seen it all too often.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

It has been almost three weeks since this posting. Must be one ginormous collection for it to take almost three weeks to turn it over. Hoping that the next time you update this thread, that all the firearms are back with the estate or in your cousin's hands.

My wife and dad are the only people that know the combinations to my gun safes. So, nobody is taking the firearms out of the house easily before or after my death.

The bad people out there really suck.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Update!!!! After several calls to MSP who basically told us to go pound sand we are SOL its a civil matter. We located the collection at One Stop Gun Shop LLC in Georgetown DE (Which is listed online as closed). The owner Bud Rummel is telling us that We need a safety course to get them back and complete paperwork on all guns and he will not release them. He also stated he will not release the handguns or ship them back to a MD FFL. Anyone know a shop near DE or one in DE that can help us get this guns back? Thanks BigRick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom