• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Just ordered a SDS M4 clone from American Sportsman in Newark DE. $406 out the door, when it comes in what would be big things to look for? Not being used and the 0-rings?

And that it has a pin with a head on it and a O ring at the real of the bolt. Which seems to be a new issue.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    And that it has a pin with a head on it and a O ring at the real of the bolt. Which seems to be a new issue.

I’m less convinced that’s a issue, probably a design change although I’d prefer the o-ring. I’ll be curious to see if the other newer guns have the o-ring or not.

I picked up my Turknelli last night. I haven't had time to really dig deep yet, but I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the trigger was. Mind you, it wasn't long distance rifle quality, but it was in the top 10% of any shotgun trigger I have pulled.
    Yes, my hands turned black while wiping off the excess oil from the receiver, barrel and mag tube.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I picked up my Turknelli last night. I haven't had time to really dig deep yet, but I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the trigger was. Mind you, it wasn't long distance rifle quality, but it was in the top 10% of any shotgun trigger I have pulled.

Yes, my hands turned black while wiping off the excess oil from the receiver, barrel and mag tube.
    I noticed the decent trigger and mine also had as much oil as a fried porkchop

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I reinstalled the original extractor and spring on the S4. It ran fine. Not really sure if upgrading to an original Benelli extractor/ spring was even necessary.

My brother bought an S4 last week. The only thing we did to it was:
    Clean the gun thoroughly
    Inspect for loose or missing parts.
    Used blue locktight on screws that need to stay fastened. ( especially on the optics rail )
    Deburr and polished rough parts. ( hammer , barrel extension, polished the bolt and locking areas )

That shotgun ran fine , even with cheap bulk target loads.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I reinstalled the original extractor and spring on the S4. It ran fine. Not really sure if upgrading to an original Benelli extractor/ spring was even necessary.

My brother bought an S4 last week. The only thing we did to it was:
    Clean the gun thoroughly
    Inspect for loose or missing parts.
    Used blue locktight on screws that need to stay fastened. ( especially on the optics rail )
    Deburr and polished rough parts. ( hammer , barrel extension, polished the bolt and locking areas )

That shotgun ran fine , even with cheap bulk target loads.

Tbh, i compared the factory and benelli extractor, and they look very similiar, the spring felt a bit stronger from the benelli though.

I have a benelli hammer, mag follower and spring sitting at the post office.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I still need to contact SDS about a replacement extractor pin for my bolt head assembly. In the meantime I ordered a Benelli bolt head assembly to see if that drops in.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

What’s your firing pin retainer look like?

I will tear it apart this evening and post how mine compared to others in this thread. I will also report on rough edges, burrs, etc.
    To clarify on my trigger comment above, I am not even touching the existing Turknelli trigger. It better than any factory Benelli trigger I have shot. It really feels like it already had a good polishing job and breaks clean at around (guesstimating) 5lbs.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A guy on ARF says his serial num is in the mid 800s and it has a straight pin with no o-ring for the firing pin retainer. My serial is in the high 900s and it has a straight pin as well. I’m guessing there was a change after a certain serial num.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Received mine, serial number in the 900s, I do have an o-ring. I also don't appear to have the "cut out" in the receiver in the same place. My bolt release button is a little cockeyed so that's annoying. It's not super easy to push either. I already knew this but I am not a big fan of the ghost ring sights so I'll probably put a 510C on it as soon as I see one in the low $200s again. I actually rather like the pistol grip but the stock is indeed too long, I may shoot it a bit tomorrow to see how it is before changing the stock though.

Attachments

• IMG_1775.jpg
      IMG_1775.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 171
    • IMG_1776.jpg
      IMG_1776.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 167
    • IMG_1777.jpg
      IMG_1777.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 171

I will tear it apart this evening and post how mine compared to others in this thread. I will also report on rough edges, burrs, etc.
    To clarify on my trigger comment above, I am not even touching the existing Turknelli trigger. It better than any factory Benelli trigger I have shot. It really feels like it already had a good polishing job and breaks clean at around (guesstimating) 5lbs.

I have the O-ring and it is partially squished. People keep mentioning serial numbers in the 800's and 900's. Unless I'm missing something, mine would be in the 1100's- assuming y'all also have 21Sierra as a prefix. Otherwise, my serial number is an oddball.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Received mine, serial number in the 900s, I do have an o-ring. I also don't appear to have the "cut out" in the receiver in the same place. My bolt release button is a little cockeyed so that's annoying. It's not super easy to push either. I already knew this but I am not a big fan of the ghost ring sights so I'll probably put a 510C on it as soon as I see one in the low $200s again. I actually rather like the pistol grip but the stock is indeed too long, I may shoot it a bit tomorrow to see how it is before changing the stock though.

Well, there goes my serial number theory

I tore my 21S-11xxx model apart last night and am quite impressed. The biggest thing I noticed was the machining on mine seems to be better than what others have reported, especially those on Arfcom. There are no sharp edges on my receiver. Hopefully the picture captures what I'm trying to explain.

Attachments

• 20220128_194310.jpg
      20220128_194310.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 154

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I tore my 21S-11xxx model apart last night and am quite impressed. The biggest thing I noticed was the machining on mine seems to be better than what others have reported, especially those on Arfcom. There are no sharp edges on my receiver. Hopefully the picture captures what I'm trying to explain.
    My bolt head assembly appears to be the only problem area on mine. Interior and exterior fit and finish are pretty good, with most of the parts mostly deburred, dehorned, and smooth. Paint job is blotchy once you get the Turkish oil off, and scratches easily. But honestly it’s not any worse than my Remington 870. If I really end up loving this shotgun, I’ll probably get it cerakoted eventually.

Might get some aftermarket chokes for it too, as I’ve heard the OEM ones aren’t great.

I have read that a lot of plants in Turkey are pumping out parts galore for these. If the folks at Aksa are assembling these from various contracted components, that might explain all the inconsistencies that have been seen.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Disassembled mine. All looked good except for the spring on the firing pin. The pin was hard to pull out and then noticed it has a burr of metal in the spring. Glad I took the time to do this, that would’ve been frustrating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 148

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I put around 30 rounds of varying quality through this today and it ran 99%. I had one light strike, which might have been the primer itself because when I took the shell out and looked at it, it didn't look like that light of a strike. Interestingly, the light strike was the best ammo I tried which was Fiche 3" buckshot. I popped that thing back in and shot it again and it fired properly.

I ran some Mili 3" slugs, cheap 3" buckshot I bought at Dick's, Fiochi 3" buckshot, and finally some Federal 2 3/4" target loads. The target loads ran like a champ and had zero issues. I've only shot one other semi auto 12 gauge (Remington 11-87) previously but the recoil on this S4 is much lighter--3" shells feel like 2 3/4" out of my Remington 870 clone. The first round of 2 3/4" was so much lighter I thought I had a bad round that only partially ignited, but follow up rounds proved that wasn't the case. Other than that light strike, everything ran through it perfectly.

My sights were way low so I adjusted those and got closer but it was too damned cold to shoot that long. I also did find the stock just slightly too long, though it was manageable. Since I may hunt with this, I'm on the fence whether to spend a couple hundred bucks on a stock or not. It's fine for regular clothes but in my hunting garb it's probably too long. Also being used to ARs and pistols when I target shoot and my other shotguns being used for skeet or hunting, 5 rounds (or 4 if you're using 3" shells) goes way too fast, so an extension tube is definitely necessary and mine is easy to hand thread off so it's a 1 minute swap.

All in all the fit and finish on mine is good and didn't notice any issues with the coating except for a small part where the barrel has some writing and the coating didn't get into the indentation. This gun is totally worth more than the $375 I paid so I'm pretty happy with it.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I saw another turkineli clone today at the Gettysburg gun show. I think the dealer was from Turkey himself and they are imported into Hagerstown md. Looked exactly like the SD4 and others. They were asking $500.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I saw another turkineli clone today at the Gettysburg gun show. I think the dealer was from Turkey himself and they are imported into Hagerstown md. Looked exactly like the SD4 and others. They were asking $500.

Would be interesting to know exactly who they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom