• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    went to the miles in the morning and got a couple of geese then went back down to the honga and shot our limit Of redheads again

Attachments

• 20220122_171433.jpg
      20220122_171433.jpg
      132.8 KB · Views: 196

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    How are y’all eating sea ducks? Yuck

I have a rule that I eat what I kill, so I have figured this out by necessity since at my hunting location we get 90% divers. Here is what I do with old squaw, buffleheads, etc..

Step 1: put the breast meat in a 3-day bath in a mixture of buttermilk, salt, old bay and Worchester sauce.

Step 2: cook it like German-style schnitzel:

dry off the breast meat and hammer so they're evenly about 1/4 inch flat; salt meat lightly; dredge in flour; dredge in beaten egg; dredge in bread crumbs; fry in butter for about 1 minute per side. Serve with parsley, lemon and some sautéed mushrooms. Potatoes, pickles, red cabbage, and/or rye bread are a good side items.

Give it a try. You might be surprised.

As for the hearts and livers, they seem to be completely irredeemable no matter what I try. So I freeze them and they become dog treats.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    A lot of guys used to make what they called Scooteronni. Grind and mix with fat and lots of spices and make snack sticks.

I have only shot mergansers when I had a pup to train and needed a training bird. Note to anyone trying this, let them thaw before using or the heads snap off the first time you throw it. It confuses the pup when there is two pieces. :rolleyes:

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Been a few years since the last band but finally got one. Had fun with a buddy before work.

Attachments

• 0B853DED-E6D4-47A7-B269-59350B955515.jpg
      0B853DED-E6D4-47A7-B269-59350B955515.jpg
      154.4 KB · Views: 150

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Been a few years since the last band but finally got one. Had fun with a buddy before work.

That is awesome.

I went out on Wednesday morning with my dad and two of my kids. I have been seeing geese by the thousands at my place in Carroll, but in the evening they are flying northwest to roost. Drove south 12 miles to hunt in Howard County on Wednesday morning and saw all of 100 birds in the area, maybe a little more than that, but not much more. We never pulled the trigger, but screwed up two great chances to limit out. Still very slim pickings compared to 20 years ago.

Has me wondering if the flight pattern has changed and the flyway has moved somewhat west because of all the development along the route 32 corridor. Not much farmland left in western Howard County.

Attachments

• MdShooters347.jpg
      MdShooters347.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 138

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    It was in Harford. Open water was slim pickings but we found a small opening due to tide off of a point which really pulled the birds to us.

The geese do seem different. We got lucky and pulled in two singles.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Plan was to goose hunt this afternoon near Price, MD in a field. Thinking they got 5-6 inches and I don’t recall ever setting up dekes in that much snow. Probably a wash but desperately trying to get out with my son for one last hurrah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Another skunk on the upper Potomac for me today. Saw a hundred mergansers and maybe 50 geese, but nothing in the bag.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Bad day on the Back River. With the wind we had no water. Nothing was flying. Saw a couple of Merganzers but nothing else.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Are your cheeks at red as mine? (Your face cheeks, you perv)

Me and BrowningGuy got out any checked out a few spots. Some were frozen in, some had no water for 60-70 yards through waist deep mud. Nope. We both enjoyed the biscuits and gravy at the Essex Diner, though. Lol.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    Lower monacacy river today was on fire. Birds flying and floating everywhere. Was able to shoot a double of mallards 20 minutes into my float. Saw lots of black ducks, not close enough to shoot unfortunately and some mergansers. I saw a flock of geese but again just out of range. Great day on the river.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    We hunted 9 people in 2 pits today and limited out on geese. The last few days the migrators have been coming down and we have had some great shoots and limited every day.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Me and BrowningGuy got out any checked out a few spots. Some were frozen in, some had no water for 60-70 yards through waist deep mud. Nope. We both enjoyed the biscuits and gravy at the Essex Diner, though. Lol.

Ha, I had B&G too, but at Roy Rogers

Lower monacacy river today was on fire. Birds flying and floating everywhere. Was able to shoot a double of mallards 20 minutes into my float. Saw lots of black ducks, not close enough to shoot unfortunately and some mergansers. I saw a flock of geese but again just out of range. Great day on the river.
    Nice. At least someone did well out that way.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    We ended up with 6 mallards, 2 black ducks, 2 ring necks, a goose, and a lot of wind burn yesterday with 3 hunters.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    We hunted 9 people in 2 pits today and limited out on geese. The last few days the migrators have been coming down and we have had some great shoots and limited every day.

Friday afternoon, as the snow as coming down, I saw them flying by in 100+ birds per V. Must have seen about 2,000 birds that afternoon around 4:00. Wish I was in a blind Friday afternoon as the weather was moving in.

Glad to read that some of you guys have been doing somewhat decent.

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Well another season in the books. All in all it was a great season. Plenty of geese in the freezer. Ducks just showed up about 5 days ago but we still had loads of fun with them . My god son is really getting into hunting now so I just want to take him.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    First mallard out of this blind. Lost of birds just didn't want anything to do with us. We did hunt the back side up in the cove. All in all a good day with my son Now t I see if we can get some snows. Can't wait for next year when we hunt Blackwater and Delaware.

Attachments

• 20220131_175325.jpg
      20220131_175325.jpg
      86.8 KB · Views: 111

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom