I thought I had an SKS to add to my collection but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I ordered a Yugoslavian SKS from Southern Ohio Guns on Monday and it arrived today. Yay! It was in very good shape visually, with not a lot of cosmoline on it. But... when I disassembled it to clean the remaining goop out of it, I discovered the gas piston was missing. Bummer! I called SOG and they are having the rifle picked up on their dime on Monday and will exchange it for another one. I'm hoping the next one is in as good a shape as the one that arrived today and that it has all the right parts. So close!

vwluv10338

Jan 13, 2009
    Well thats better than the chinese SKS I ordered from Century that said "Available". After two weeks I finally call and they said "Sorry we oversold and we dont have any"

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Well thats better than the chinese SKS I ordered from Century that said "Available". After two weeks I finally call and they said "Sorry we oversold and we dont have any"

Yep, same happened to me with Century.

I'd keep the SKS and order a rod......

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    When I called SOG to report the missing gas piston, the lady I spoke to called the warehouse and had them pull another one out of their inventory to hold for me until the one I have is returned. SOG has always been straight up with me on prior purchases so I'm hoping it will be the same with this transaction. We'll see, I guess.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    When I called SOG to report the missing gas piston, the lady I spoke to called the warehouse and had them pull another one out of their inventory to hold for me until the one I have is returned. SOG has always been straight up with me on prior purchases so I'm hoping it will be the same with this transaction. We'll see, I guess.

Hey man if it doesnt work out shoot me a pm Iam pretty sure I have one around here somewhere u could have from when i converted a yugo for 922r.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg

But did you officially cancel your order???

I ordered a SKS from Century about a year ago. After a couple weeks I called them to see what was up. The guy checked my FFL on file, charged $1 on my CC to make sure it wans't a billing problem and then said he would have to check with the warehouse because they might be out of stock was all he could figure. Said he'd call me back. Fast forward a week.... he never called me back, I called again. Yes, they were out of stock. Yet they continued to show online as in stock and I reiceved a print catalog two days later that advertised them.

Oh well... I went on with life.

2 months later, I login to my bank account and see a $200ish charge from Century that morning... ??? WTF? I haven't ordered anything? That afternoon, UPS shows up at my door with a SKS.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    But did you officially cancel your order???

I ordered a SKS from Century about a year ago. After a couple weeks I called them to see what was up. The guy checked my FFL on file, charged $1 on my CC to make sure it wans't a billing problem and then said he would have to check with the warehouse because they might be out of stock was all he could figure. Said he'd call me back. Fast forward a week.... he never called me back, I called again. Yes, they were out of stock. Yet they continued to show online as in stock and I reiceved a print catalog two days later that advertised them.

Oh well... I went on with life.

2 months later, I login to my bank account and see a $200ish charge from Century that morning... ??? WTF? I haven't ordered anything? That afternoon, UPS shows up at my door with a SKS.

unexpected gun arrivals are the best kind :D

its a lot better than when you order something and sometimes have a few weeks of agonizing wait for it.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    unexpected gun arrivals are the best kind :D

its a lot better than when you order something and sometimes have a few weeks of agonizing wait for it.

Haha... I was happy. I still don't think my wife believes I hadn't recently ordered it and wasn't expecting it. :lol2:

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Happy ending to this story.

I sent the rifle with the missing gas piston back to Southern Ohio Guns and true to their word, they did set a replacement rifle aside for me. I got the replacement SKS on Wednesday. If anything, it is in better shape than the original rifle and it has all the working parts.

I spent a couple hours yesterday and a few hours today getting the cosmoline out of the stock and the metal parts. The finished product is very nice indeed! If it was used, it was only used a few times as everything is very tight. The bore is very clean and shiny. The stock, now that the cosmoline is gone and it has a couple coats of good wax on it looks very nice in my opinion. It does have a couple of minor nicks but no cracks that I could find. The nicks give it character as far as I'm concerned. And considering the prices I've seen on Gun Broker for SKS's, the price I paid Southern Ohio Guns for my SKS makes me grin even more.

Even in these times of panic buys, there are still a few good deals out there if you look around and are lucky enough to find something before it gets sold out from under you. I guess I got lucky this time around. You gotta love that C&R stuff!

Now to wait for a nice day to take it to the rifle range.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 264
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      74.7 KB · Views: 272

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Nice looking specimen you have there. There are definitely deals out there right now, you just have to search a little harder for them, and, if one presents itself, you need to just jump on it. Think about it too long and it will be gone.

Hope you can get that out to the range soon. I love shooting my SKS's. You have ammo for that thing?

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Nice looking specimen you have there. There are definitely deals out there right now, you just have to search a little harder for them, and, if one presents itself, you need to just jump on it. Think about it too long and it will be gone.

Hope you can get that out to the range soon. I love shooting my SKS's. You have ammo for that thing?

Yup. Lucked up and found some reasonably priced 7.62x39 from some place out west (I forget which one. I look at so many gun/ammo websites I'm seeing them in my dreams! :innocent0). The ammo got here before the rifle so I just fondled the rounds for a few days. :lol2:

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    If i were you id spend the extra coin and buy a stainless steel aftermarket gas piston, just my 2 cents

Why? Not being smart *ss, I just don't know what advantage having a stainless steel piston would give me. The gas piston that came with the rifle looks like it is brand new except for a dark area on the straight end which I cleaned up in about a minute with a scouring pad. I'm no expert on metals but the piston I have looks like a clone of what I picture as stainless steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom