What's your favorite/recommended .22 handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 13, 2014
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hi y'all,

I'm a 24 year old guy in Silver Spring, MD, currently going through the steps to get my HQL, undergo firearm/safety training, and make my first handgun purchase. I decided on a .22 handgun because I have next to no experience and have a relatively small and light frame. I know some will say I could get something like a 9mm or .380, but I would prefer as little recoil as possible - I'm going to be using it 99% for range time and don't plan on using it for hunting or home defense whatsoever. I plan on going to a few ranges in the next couple weeks to test out a variety of .22s before I make a decision on which to purchase.

BUT.....

What is your favorite .22 handgun? Any recommendations as to what I should be trying?

I'm leaning more towards something in the 22/45 / MKIII / Buckmark design, but am also somewhat drawn to those based on the centerfire models (SR-22 comes to mind, for example). I have no experience whatsoever with revolvers, but would be willing to give them a shot - bad pun intended!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I think this is someone different? Says he only has one post.

Anyways, The Ruger Mark II would be my choice if I were you, but you'd have to find someone willing to sell you theirs- gun broker is good for that.

If you don't mind a non drop free mag and a magazine safety, the Ruger Mark III is the same as the Mark II- that is INCREDIBLE

I would also recommend stainless steel for WHATEVER you buy. It's much more forgiving of lax maintenance, and just tends to be more rugged in general.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Hi y'all,

I'm a 24 year old guy in Silver Spring, MD, currently going through the steps to get my HQL, undergo firearm/safety training, and make my first handgun purchase. I decided on a .22 handgun because I have next to no experience and have a relatively small and light frame. I know some will say I could get something like a 9mm or .380, but I would prefer as little recoil as possible - I'm going to be using it 99% for range time and don't plan on using it for hunting or home defense whatsoever. I plan on going to a few ranges in the next couple weeks to test out a variety of .22s before I make a decision on which to purchase.

BUT.....

What is your favorite .22 handgun? Any recommendations as to what I should be trying?

I'm leaning more towards something in the 22/45 / MKIII / Buckmark design, but am also somewhat drawn to those based on the centerfire models (SR-22 comes to mind, for example). I have no experience whatsoever with revolvers, but would be willing to give them a shot - bad pun intended!

Very Smart game plan! Follow it, and you'll gain the most important input into what's right for you....yours!

That said, try the Ruger MKIII and the Browning Buckmark in the .22LR semi's. Try a Ruger Single Six for a taste of single action revolvers. In double action revolvers, consider trying a Smith and Wesson Model 617 if you can find one.

Turtle_Nagant

Jan 11, 2014
    I've shot the 22/45 and the SR-22 a lot, so here's my thoughts on those:

The only thing I have against the 22/45 is that it's kind of a pain to disassemble for cleaning. It feels great, shoots accurately, and looks very nice, especially if you opt for wood grips.

The SR-22 is noticeably smaller and lighter, which could be a good or bad thing depending on your preference. You also have the option of firing it in double action, which is nice. I'm not as accurate with it as with the 22/45, which I think has better sights. The longer barrel helps a bit with that, too.

I haven't shot .22 revolvers a lot, but they are fun. Ruger's Single Six is more expensive than their .22 automatics, but it has that classic Single Action Army style.

Hope that helps.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Semi-auto: 22/45 and Buckmark. They are incredibly accurate.

Revolver:
    C&R: Colt Police Positive Target, S&W K-22, H&R 999
    Modern: Ruger Single Six (single action only), S&W Models 17 and 617

I own most of the above (except S&W). I have used all of them. You can't go wrong with any of them.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Look at the S&W M&P 22. Simple take down, very reliable.

It can use 12 round mags but you gotta buy them out of state.

Just bought 4 from Midway.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I'm a Ruger fan and really like their Mk II. Don't like the newer ones with all the lawyer stuff on them as much.

The Buckmark is also really worth a look. If you go that way I would get a longer barreled one and then get a short/light barrel from Tactical Solutions for the times you want lighter (plus threaded if that's your thing).

You can change the upper on a Ruger also but it's the serial numbered part so much more of a pain.

Those 2 have a large following, lots of parts/support if you want to change things on them.

Jan 13, 2014
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey everyone, thanks for the advice so far! Seems to be lots of love for Rugers here. Unfortunately I took a look at a "how to disassemble and reassemble" video and.... Dear Lord. Guess I've got lots to learn!

And yes, I did mention this in my intro post a couple days ago, but thought I would actually give my situation and ask the broader community here (sorry if violation of some sort :/ )

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is a general forum rule that you don't cross post into more than one forum. But you're new so you're forgiven !!! :)

BTW-do read the forum rules when you get time. Good info there.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm a Ruger fan and really like their Mk II. Don't like the newer ones with all the lawyer stuff on them as much.

I can't speak for the Mark III, but the 22/45 is a completely different handgun with the Tandemkross mag disconnect bushing and LCI filler and Volquartsen target sear. For about $60, those parts transform a nice pistol with a decent trigger into something much better.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I have a Ruger Mark III, but I much prefer to shoot my stainless steel SA Ruger Hunter, that sports a Nikon 3X scope to boot. It comes with two six shot cylinder's, one in 22lr, the other in 22WMR. It does tend to spit lead --- once in awhile --- so eye pro should be worn.
    I also give high-fives for the Ruger Repair Shop, due to free shipping and rapid repair work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom