I know this subject as been beaten to death, but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Even if the barrel is marked HBAR, if the word Bushmaster is printed on the receiver, the rifle is banned in Maryland? I have a Bushmaster XM15 HBar I bought from Lou last year as non-regulated but have decided to sell it at some point and don't want to run afoul of Maryland's clear-as-mud AR regulations.

I searched through the myriad posts on this topic and found many references to it but like other AR topics, there seem to be (at least to me) many differing interpretations.

gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County
    If I were you, id just keep it for now. I dont know the answer to your question, but maybe someday Maryland will return to its former glory and you will not have to worry about "banned" firearms. Then, you can sell it without any doubts.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Hoo boy... the answer to this question has varied.

In all likelihood, the "Bushmaster rifle" in question banned by FSA 2013 refers to this gun in particular:

bushmaster_m17s-2.jpg

Of course, being idiots, the writers of the "list" back in the 1990s forget to clarify that the gun was a Bushmaster M17 and in doing so, accidentally made it illegal for Bushmaster to sell anything in Maryland with a rifled barrel... maybe. The MSP has, at various times, either clarified that to be the case or alternatively declared that any rifle made by Bushmaster is banned. It's a mess, but when Frosh is at the helm (yes - when. We can vote against him, but he'll still win), it seems likely that he'll make sure that those pesky "loopholes" are closed and that the most hardline, gun-grabbing spin is put on our already ugly and confusing gun laws.

Long story short, I wouldn't sell it in the state of Maryland. Why even take the risk, as unlikely as it might be?

backhome426

Aug 26, 2012
    SouthCounty
    Even if the barrel is marked HBAR, if the word Bushmaster is printed on the receiver, the rifle is banned in Maryland? I have a Bushmaster XM15 HBar I bought from Lou last year as non-regulated but have decided to sell it at some point and don't want to run afoul of Maryland's clear-as-mud AR regulations.

I searched through the myriad posts on this topic and found many references to it but like other AR topics, there seem to be (at least to me) many differing interpretations.

Before asking other questions...when was the date of purchase?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Purchase date has nothing to do with the ability to sell it.

Current MSP guidance is that ANY Bushmaster is banned. Even though, previously, they put out a letter stating the Bushmaster HBARs are non-regulated.

Do NOT expect consistency.

But, right now, you cannot sell that rifle in MD. You can ship it to an out of state FFL though. No face to face from the resident of one state to the resident of another state.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hoo boy... the answer to this question has varied.

In all likelihood, the "Bushmaster rifle" in question banned by FSA 2013 refers to this gun in particular:

bushmaster_m17s-2.jpg

It wasn't actually referring to the M17. It was referring to "The Bushmaster Rifle" which was the granddaddy of all of them. It was made by Gwinn Firearms, who eventually became "Bushmaster." They also made a "Bushmaster Pistol," which is the one referred to on the banned assault pistol list. That's why it says "Bushmaster Rifle" on the rifle list and "Bushmaster Pistol" on the pistol list. Neither of them is referring to a manufacturer, but to a model, just like all the other ones on the list.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/222400_.html

The rifle:
    wooden.JPG

The pistol:
    gwinn_pistol.JPG

Feb 28, 2013

I'm in the same boat myself. Mine even says HBAR on the barrel.

They actually more or less did me a favor by adding it to the banned list. Since it's now grandfathered that's the one my 37mm went on.:D

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    It wasn't actually referring to the M17. It was referring to "The Bushmaster Rifle" which was the granddaddy of all of them. It was made by Gwinn Firearms, who eventually became "Bushmaster." They also made a "Bushmaster Pistol," which is the one referred to on the banned assault pistol list. That's why it says "Bushmaster Rifle" on the rifle list and "Bushmaster Pistol" on the pistol list. Neither of them is referring to a manufacturer, but to a model, just like all the other ones on the list.

That goes to show how little I know. In fact, I'd completely forgotten that gun even existed.

Man... that thing is the Pontiac Aztek of rifles. I think that aesthetic is called "cobbled together out of recycled parts by a blind, drunk, and stoned lunatic based on what he saw during a bad acid trip."

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yeah, they're pretty ugly. The pistol in particular looks like a refugee from a bad Sci-Fi movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom