• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Not being one who "builds" ARs, I am not familiar with what parts of an AR are legal to sell and which ones are not. My question is about swapping barrels between two store-bought ARs (pre 10/1/13) so I can try to sell one of them legally. I AM NOT trying to circumvent any Maryland laws.

I have a Bushmaster HBar that is only illegal because it has the evil name "Bushmaster" on it. Can I take that HBar barrel and swap it with a standard barrel off of another AR I own that does not have that evil name on it, then legally sell the HBar AR in Maryland?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with something like this?

Thanks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not being one who "builds" ARs, I am not familiar with what parts of an AR are legal to sell and which ones are not. My question is about swapping barrels between two store-bought ARs (pre 10/1/13) so I can try to sell one of them legally. I AM NOT trying to circumvent any Maryland laws.

I have a Bushmaster HBar that is only illegal because it has the evil name "Bushmaster" on it. Can I take that HBar barrel and swap it with a standard barrel off of another AR I own that does not have that evil name on it, then legally sell the HBar AR in Maryland?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with something like this?

Thanks.

You have a lot of questions here and I'm no expert. Taking the bbl. off the B.Master, the lower is still marked Bush master, right? And you want to sell it with a different barrel?
    The other pre-10/13 gun I think you can put any bbl. on it you want as long as it's 16'' or over.
    Selling the B.Master legally? I don't know but, maybe not in Merryland if it is a banned item. It's not 'illegal' for you to own. Just illegal for another Md'er to buy...I think.
    Hope I didn't cause more confusion for someone else to have to straighten out.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I'm not trying to sell the Bushmaster. What I would like to do is take the HBar barrel that is on the Bushmaster and put it on another non-Bushmaster AR and sell the non-Bushmaster with the Hbar on it since I think it would then be legal, according to MD's bizarre law. I may not have explained it too clearly in my original post. But it appears from the other response that what I want to do is a no-no anyway so this may be a moot issue.

You have a lot of questions here and I'm no expert. Taking the bbl. off the B.Master, the lower is still marked Bush master, right? And you want to sell it with a different barrel?
    The other pre-10/13 gun I think you can put any bbl. on it you want as long as it's 16'' or over.
    Selling the B.Master legally? I don't know but, maybe not in Merryland if it is a banned item. It's not 'illegal' for you to own. Just illegal for another Md'er to buy...I think.
    Hope I didn't cause more confusion for someone else to have to straighten out.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    You cannot sell the Bushmaster (HBAR irrelevant) because the idiots at the MSP are treating all Bushmaster lowers and rifles as banned.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Damnit misread. Yes you can swap a Bushmaster HBAR onto another lower and sell it cash and carry. But keep a bill of sale for a paper trail that the former regulated rifle is no longer in your possession.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm not trying to sell the Bushmaster. What I would like to do is take the HBar barrel that is on the Bushmaster and put it on another non-Bushmaster AR and sell the non-Bushmaster with the Hbar on it since I think it would then be legal, according to MD's bizarre law. I may not have explained it too clearly in my original post. But it appears from the other response that what I want to do is a no-no anyway so this may be a moot issue.

Sorry, I got confused.:o

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I would only be concerned that your normal profile barreled non bushmaster AR-15 is, and will always be registered to you as a regulated firearm according to the MSP. due to the incredibly vague definition of HBAR, that rifle was never marketed by the manufacturer as an HBAR and even though it actually has a heavy profile barrel, the MSP may not agree that you changed the rifle from a regulated firearm that you own legally due to the date you bought it, but cannot transfer or offer for sale in the state of MD.

the people who wrote this law obviously don't understand that firearms are able to be modified, and magazines don't self destruct after being used one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom