Shotgun transfer question - Do I have this right?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    My sister wants to give me a 12 ga. shotgun. Nothing fancy or tacticool... just a stock Maverick 88. She lives in North Carolina. What I intend to do is when I visit her, we're going to ride down to her local gun store and do the transfer there so that the shotgun will, in effect, be transferred to me through an FFL.

Will this pass the smell test in the People's Republik and therefor I can bring it back to my house in Maryland legally?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I think MD'S adjacent state rule for non-regulated rifles and shotguns might be in play here. Would be curious what others offer up. In adjacent states one can buy a rifle or a shotgun from an FFL. Otherwise it would need to be shipped to an instate FFL. My read but no lawyer. ...

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I think MD'S adjacent state rule for non-regulated rifles and shotguns might be in play here. Would be curious what others offer up. In adjacent states one can buy a rifle or a shotgun from an FFL. Otherwise it would need to be shipped to an instate FFL. My read but no lawyer. ...

I do not believe this exists. As long as it goes through a FFL and both states laws are met, you are GTG!!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Adjacent state was removed in 1986.

MD law ALLOWS, but but not RESTRICT to ONLY adjacent state purchases.

GCA 68 required state law to ALLOW adjacent state purchases. Most states just allowed them, a few idiot states restricted purchases to adjacent states.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Does it even need to be transferred through an FFL for a private sale of a non-restricted firearm?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    How does anybody who doesn't have access to a computer and mds figure all of this out, lead a normal life, and stay out of trouble?

THIS IS NOT HOW LAWS AND LAWMAKERS ARE SUPPOSED TO WORK.

VOTE ACCORDINGLY.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Only that the requirement for different state residents to transfer through an FFL has only been a requirement since 1968.

Should be long enough for people to figure out.

:)

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Long guns and shotguns require one FFL in either state for transfer.

Regulated/Hand guns require two FFLs, one from each state.

Banned guns may be sold to out of state buyers as long as the above rules are satisfied. But, may not be bought in state or out of state by or transferred to Maryland residents.

Thanks to the Hopolophobic Libtards.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For residents of different states, yes it does.

That bizzare. So I couldn't even drive up to PA or over to WV to buy from a private seller without going through an FFL? Glad I know now or I'd probably end up accidentally breaking the law some day (unless the other guy knew). Is that MD specific? Or is that a common/federal thing?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    That bizzare. So I couldn't even drive up to PA or over to WV to buy from a private seller without going through an FFL? Glad I know now or I'd probably end up accidentally breaking the law some day (unless the other guy knew). Is that MD specific? Or is that a common/federal thing?

Feds. Gotta control that interstate commerce ya know:sad20:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Blargh! Does that even apply on interstate estate transfer (I.E. Family member who lives in NY and wills guns to me, would I have to still take them to an FFL for transfer?).

I am now assume this would apply to gifts among family members too :(

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Regulated/Hand guns require two FFLs, one from each state.

Nope. Not required by law.

Only FFL in the buyer's state of residence. HOWEVER, not all FFLs will accept the delivery of a firearm from a private individual. But that is not law, just store practice.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Feds. Gotta control that interstate commerce ya know:sad20:

Gun Control Act of 1968.

Used to be you could mail order any firearm. Just send a check or money order and it would show up in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom