• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Urban1ninja

Aug 16, 2017
    So ive been looking into getting a ar-9 / pdw that will mostly be a range toy. I keep running into difficulties with either sellers or just Maryland law in general with the handgun roster.

This would have been perfect for budget and function, but not on the roster.
    https://www.extarusa.com/ep9.htm

CZ scorpion - beautiful , pricey- but not on the roster

Freedom Ordnance FX-9 - awesome, but not on the roster.

So i figured why not just buy a complete upper and complete lower. PSA has had awesome prices so ill wait for them to have a glock lower in stock. turns out they dont ship AR or AK receivers to MD.

my question is, who has an Ar-9, did you buy it that way? build it? where did you buy the receiver from? etc...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

ideal specs
    complete glock style lower with sig brace (preffered with lrbho )
    7.5- 10.5 inch 9mm barrel with mlok hand guard and flashcan (a2 birdcage is ok)

Money_B_85

Mar 30, 2017
    So ive been looking into getting a ar-9 / pdw that will mostly be a range toy. I keep running into difficulties with either sellers or just Maryland law in general with the handgun roster.

This would have been perfect for budget and function, but not on the roster.
    https://www.extarusa.com/ep9.htm

CZ scorpion - beautiful , pricey- but not on the roster

Freedom Ordnance FX-9 - awesome, but not on the roster.

So i figured why not just buy a complete upper and complete lower. PSA has had awesome prices so ill wait for them to have a glock lower in stock. turns out they dont ship AR or AK receivers to MD.

my question is, who has an Ar-9, did you buy it that way? build it? where did you buy the receiver from? etc...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

ideal specs
    complete glock style lower with sig brace (preffered with lrbho )
    7.5- 10.5 inch 9mm barrel with mlok hand guard and flashcan (a2 birdcage is ok)

CZ scorpion is on the roster. Search for BRNO instead of CZ. I just picked one up.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Why not get a carbine like a Beretta Cx Storm, and avoid the issur altogether? 9mm AR carbine or Beretta Cx storm are a blast, these are considered rifles and do not need to be on the roster. And no Roster/HQL/77r etc paperwork.

Urban1ninja

Aug 16, 2017
    Why not get a carbine like a Beretta Cx Storm, and avoid the issur altogether? 9mm AR carbine or Beretta Cx storm are a blast, these are considered rifles and do not need to be on the roster. And no Roster/HQL/77r etc paperwork.

well i would like something that is shorter than a rifle and dont want to deal with making something an SBR...

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    PSA will ship lowers to maryland as long as they are not complete. If you want to go the complete route, talk to a dealer and ask them to order it for you. PSA will sell completes to dealers. Not sure where you are located but I know Gunrunners in Frederick has purchased from PSA in the past.

Another option for a lower, you could look at Joebob Outfitters. I've ordered from them in the past. They carry multiple lowers that will take glock mags. As for uppers, ive ordered from MASdefence.com and jsesurplus.com with great success.

CZ Scorpion will be tough to get in your $700 budget. MSRP is almost $900.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    well i would like something that is shorter than a rifle and dont want to deal with making something an SBR...

Once you add a brace to a pistol with 8" barrel, which you probably will, there may not be a meaningful difference. CZ scorpion with folding brace comes in at 29.4 in, same as the Beretta Storm (29.7 to be precise). A bona fide MP5 is 28.5 with a brace, it has a 9" barrel. The CMMG mk9 PSB with brace is 25". Not sure about the Freedom FX-9, but ar9 type pistols with an 8.5" barrel and brace come in around 25-29". Is 4" worth all the extra ********? I have an MP5 clone, its a blast, no one complains its too long at the range.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Duffy’s has an awesome MPX with a collapsible brace. Very compact. MP5K size

The Sig MPX is indeed awesome, but also almost double the OP's price range.

The CZ Scorpion is pretty cool as well, but plan on replacing the strong side safety with either a blank button or an AK style lever.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    i built my own and got my upper and lower from joe bob outfitters and havent had a problem with it yet. last round bolt hold open upper is kind pricey but works fine if your mag springs are fine

i was also looking at FoxTrotMike lowers cause those have pretty good specs and they just released an aluminum one

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 12.53.15 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 12.53.15 PM.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 800

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    i built my own and got my upper and lower from joe bob outfitters and havent had a problem with it yet. last round bolt hold open upper is kind pricey but works fine if your mag springs are fine

i was also looking at FoxTrotMike lowers cause those have pretty good specs and they just released an aluminum one

which upper/lower is that? looks nice. Colt or Glock mags? They look like Colt style, but its hard to tell.

lonewolf220

Oct 10, 2014
    Hampstead

You like that last round bold hold upper? I went with a New Frontier Armory lower which looks identical to what you got from joe bob (just different roll marks). But I skipped on the last round bolt hold uppers because of price. It’s just a range toy so I don’t really mind but it’s tempting to add in another upper that would lock the bolt back

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    You like that last round bold hold upper? I went with a New Frontier Armory lower which looks identical to what you got from joe bob (just different roll marks). But I skipped on the last round bolt hold uppers because of price. It’s just a range toy so I don’t really mind but it’s tempting to add in another upper that would lock the bolt back

yeah the same factory makes the uppers and lowers for NFA as well as Joe Bob but i like it alot, i had a couple problems using it with that old 33 round mag because the springs were worn out but other than that its pretty fail proof

if i had a do over of the whole project i would have went with the Foxtrot Mike lower (here) that has the hold open built into the lower instead of the upper but that wasnt released until after i already bought it :o

i just feel like it seems more natural to be built into the lower instead of the upper and saves you a butt load of money

AMDKING

Apr 30, 2017
    First off, apologies for digging up older posts. I've been trying to dig up information on the UDP-9 by Angsadt Arms (https://angstadtarms.com/product/udp-9-pistol-with-sba3-brace-fde/). So far as I can tell it is not on the MD Handgun roster so I am wondering if anyone knows is it worth the hassle of petitioning the board to add (has anyone had experience with this)? Would building this and bypassing the roster be legal?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    First off, apologies for digging up older posts. I've been trying to dig up information on the UDP-9 by Angsadt Arms (https://angstadtarms.com/product/udp-9-pistol-with-sba3-brace-fde/). So far as I can tell it is not on the MD Handgun roster so I am wondering if anyone knows is it worth the hassle of petitioning the board to add (has anyone had experience with this)? Would building this and bypassing the roster be legal?

That is not on the roster, so you can't buy it as a pistol in MD.

Buying a stripped lower from them and then building it yourself would be completely legal, however. You'll just have to find an FFL to do the transfer on the lower for you.

AMDKING

Apr 30, 2017
    That is not on the roster, so you can't buy it as a pistol in MD.

Buying a stripped lower from them and then building it yourself would be completely legal, however. You'll just have to find an FFL to do the transfer on the lower for you.

Thanks for the reply! Figured this would be the case. Based on some of the stuff on the roster I would think it has a pretty good chance if petitioned, then again this is Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom