• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Was talking with a sheriff friend the other day & he mentioned there have been instances of thefts from cars at Hap Baker range in Carroll County. Seems the perpetrators are watching where those visiting are leaving valuables in their cars & then breaking into the cars. There are no cameras in the area. So for those using the range, be aware.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Fantastic. So we have that to look forward to.....

The backwoods country ass roads I take home from there will make it super easy to spot a tail. And if I do, I wish them luck when they get to the end of that journey. Lots of luck in fact.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Yep, more then once.
    Did they not file police reports? I checked crime reports for the entire area going back to August of 2018, and there are zero crimes reported for that area, by any agency. No Google hits either, other than this MDS page.This smells urban legendy to me. Agree though it’s still a good idea to be cautious and aware, but I’d prefer to stay off the internet paranoia bandwagon if I can help it.

Fantastic. So we have that to look forward to.....

The backwoods country ass roads I take home from there will make it super easy to spot a tail. And if I do, I wish them luck when they get to the end of that journey. Lots of luck in fact.

When I leave AGC, I head north on Marriottsville Rd to Liberty Rd. I'm very conscientious of whether someone has been behind me on the drive.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    Can you still look up license plates and get someone's address? I remember that was a news item a few years back and it always seemed like a horrible idea to me. Anyone seeing you pull some nice hardware from the trunk at the range wouldn't need to follow you - they could just take a leisurely drive and be home waiting for you when you got there.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Did they not file police reports?

Yep, sheriff's office. One of the crooks was found from a partial vehicle description from the scene which led to positive id using surveillance cams at the Royal Farms. He lived in Pa & when confronted he fessed up. Of course it helped that he had the goods at his house.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Can you still look up license plates and get someone's address? I remember that was a news item a few years back and it always seemed like a horrible idea to me. Anyone seeing you pull some nice hardware from the trunk at the range wouldn't need to follow you - they could just take a leisurely drive and be home waiting for you when you got there.

That process requires you to give up enough personal information that crooks would not find it useful. Well, not more than once, anyway.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Yep, sheriff's office. One of the crooks was found from a partial vehicle description from the scene which led to positive id using surveillance cams at the Royal Farms. He lived in Pa & when confronted he fessed up. Of course it helped that he had the goods at his house.
    Sheriff’s website, LexisNexus crime map shows no crime of any kind at the range for at least the last 12 months. Do they log that from the point of the arrest perhaps and not where the crime took place? If so that wouldn’t make sense. Either way, CC Sheriff didn’t post this one for some reason.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Sheriff’s website, LexisNexus crime map shows no crime of any kind at the range for at least the last 12 months. Do they log that from the point of the arrest perhaps and not where the crime took place? If so that wouldn’t make sense. Either way, CC Sheriff didn’t post this one for some reason.

Don't know, I'll ask my deputy friend next time I see him.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    When I leave AGC, I head north on Marriottsville Rd to Liberty Rd. I'm very conscientious of whether someone has been behind me on the drive.

Hmmm, wonder if "I was trying to lose a tail" arguement would work. Looking for a "good reason" to "test" big Hp, big tires, and big brakes! Lol

Col. Longshot

Mar 7, 2013
    carroll county
    Worked there for 7 years. Retired in the fall. To my knowledge no cars were broken into in that time. One guy claimed he left his pistol on the pistol range to "hold his lane wile he shot his rifle" and blamed us for his loss so now we have video

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom