• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    ACTION ITEM: More gun bills hitting the Senate Judiciary Committee Monday, February 3, at 8 am!

Sorry for shot notice on these hearings, but welcome to the "new" version of the General Assembly. :-(

Unfortunately, turnout for these hearings have not been all that large. if you can make this hearing, here are the details:

Senate Judicial Committee
    Senate Room A
    Pocahontas Building (temporary General Assembly Building)
    900 East Main
    Richmond, VA 23219

Here are the gun bills being heard:
    S.B. 13, Ebbin, prohibits firearms and other weapons in Capitol Square buildings and grounds. A city or county treasurer, commissioner or deputy commissioner of the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission can carry, but not a CHP holder. Another "I hate gun owners" bill. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 14, Saslaw, makes “trigger activators” illegal and a Class 6 felony, even though, with one exception in another state, crimes are not committed with these items. Another "we've got to do SOMETHING" bill. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 15, Ebbin, prohibits firearms and other weapons in buildings that are either owned or leased by the Commonwealth. A solution to a non-existent problem. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 64, Lucas, prohibits one or more persons from intimidating others by drilling, parading, or marching with any firearm or explosive device. Who decides what is “intimidation,” considering a violation is a felony? This bill would allow anyone to shut down any rally or meeting of a gun club or a gun organization by making a false accusation of intimidation. There is no penalty for someone lying about intimidation, either. An unjustified restriction on right to free speech, right to free association, and the right to keep and bear arms. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 67, McClellan, requires that a person report a lost or stolen firearm within 24 hours of discovering the firearm is lost or stolen. Who is to say exactly when the victim “discovered” the loss or theft? The bill is also setting a precedent that a victim, who did not report the firearm stolen quickly enough, is somehow liable for the misuse of that stolen firearm. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 71, Lucas, treats child day centers or religious preschools as if they were a K-12 school for purposes of possessing firearms or other weapons. This bill is a solution in search of a problem and makes it very difficult for gun-owning parents picking up or dropping off their children to do so legally. Make a mistake and you can be charged with a FELONY. “Gun-free zones” are where over 90% of public mass killings occur. Another "I hate gun owners" bill. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 353, Bell, requires outdoor shooting ranges to be at least 500 yards away from any property zoned for residential use, unless it meets requirements of the U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Health, Safety and Security have been met. There is no grandfathering provision for existing outdoor ranges and the fines are MASSIVE. This bill makes it harder for law-abiding citizens to have a place to shoot and everyone is being punished because Senator Bell didn't like how a few situations in Loudoun County were handled by local government. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 436, Surovell, creates a “Virginia Voluntary Do Not Sell List,” where a person can voluntarily have their name added and, later, removed if desired. A person on the list cannot purchase a firearm, under penalty of a misdemeanor if they try. What this bill actually accomplishes is a mystery, but a person could maliciously put another person on the list. The penalty for doing so, if caught, is a misdemeanor. VCDL opposes.
    S.B. 490, Favola, prohibits a person who has been convicted of stalking, sexual battery, or assault and battery of a family or household member from purchasing, possessing, or transporting a firearm. Has provisions for rights restoration. VCDL does not support misdemeanor convictions taking away gun rights. That said, VCDL could support this bill if it only focuses on domestic violence convictions, which already take away gun rights at the federal level, and keeps the rights restoration language.
    S.B. 543, Edwards, requires background checks for private sales at gun shows using the Virginia State Police to do the background check. While VCDL opposes this bill, it is not as onerous as the Universal Background Check bills. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 581, Howell, for purposes of someone recklessly leaving a loaded, unsecured firearm in such a manner as to endanger life or limb of a person who is not an adult and is under a certain age, raises that age from 14 to 18 and makes the punishment a felony. A person under 18-years-old can be both very mature and have had training with firearms where leaving the loaded firearm out is not dangerous or reckless. In fact, there have been plenty of cases where a person under 18-years-old has used a firearm to stop a violent home-invasion. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 684, Mason, takes away a person’s gun rights, even if an appeals court at the time they review a person’s involuntary admission to an inpatient facility or a mandatory admission to an outpatient treatment facility finds the person no longer requires such treatment. Rather than just restoring the person’s gun rights right there, the bill forces the person to go through a separate restoration process. This puts a completely unnecessary financial and time-consuming burden on the person to get their gun rights restored. VCDL strongly opposes.
    S.B. 985, DeSteph, provides that in any litigation in which the constitutionality of a law of the Commonwealth is at issue and in which the court finds that the law is unconstitutional, the Commonwealth shall reimburse the aggrieved party for attorney fees and costs. This will help ensure that unconstitutional laws are not passed and, if they are, the party suing the Commonwealth and winning in court will not be out any money for doing so. VCDL supports.

here are the senate judiciary committee's emails, feel free to let them know how you feel about their pos bills:

district21@senate.virginia.gov; district35@senate.virginia.gov; district03@senate.virginia.gov; district18@senate.virginia.gov; district26@senate.virginia.gov; district04@senate.virginia.gov; district28@senate.virginia.gov; district20@senate.virginia.gov; district38@senate.virginia.gov; district25@senate.virginia.gov; district34@senate.virginia.gov; district36@senate.virginia.gov; district09@senate.virginia.gov; district33@senate.virginia.gov; district16@senate.virginia.gov

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This is an example why the electoral college should never be eliminated at the federal level. In VA this is the higher density populated areas such as NoVA full of liberals running roughshod over the rest of the state and those in the non-urban areas are left out, broke, busted and disgusted. This is exactly what the Democrats want to do with Presidential elections by eliminating the electoral college...so only the highly Liberal populated northeast and the west coast decide who gets elected President and to hell with the rest of the country.

Virginia is now ground zero as the prototype for the Democrat Utopia of the Future. Getting out the truth and making sure we all vote is the cure of this Liberal disease.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    We need SCOTUS to stop this stuff asap.

Pipe deam i know but one can hope

Nobody

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    40 years of these same tactics and you're still writing letters and making phone calls..the very definition of insanity. Welcome to your new normal.

If they can't change my mind with their words why would I think that I can change their mind with my words?

Perhaps it was just a matter that enough strongly worded letters were not written. We need more people calling and writing.

I get frustrated that there is no enough solidarity. IMO, people are still to comfortable to change things.

I still see SCOTUS talked about all the time. How often does scotus get involved and how long does it take. They would be busy for the next 20 years undoing all the wrong/bad laws that have been put out there and they simply can't/won't/don't do it. It's to expensive and time consuming for the average person to play court games. Only lawyers like to play court games as it's how they get paid. A citizen just wants their freedom and liberty.

Cops, have no duty to protect says SCOTUS:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia
    Yet the gov is allowed to stop you from protecting yourself. Thanks SCOTUS
    TBH, I don't want the cops to protect me as it is my job to protect myself and my family. Nor would I want to grow gov to the point where there are enough public servants to protect/watch me 24/7 for privacy reasons and for cost/tax reasons just to name a few.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep, despite all but several counties becoming 2a sanctuaries, the dems are doubling down on gun control. despite tens of thousands at the richmond rally, dems are full steam ahead on gun control. doubtful that calls and emails will change their minds, but doesn't hurt to try. it's just a numbers game and hopefully the dems have created a republican monster that will be unleashed come november.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    We need SCOTUS to stop this stuff asap.

Pipe deam i know but one can hope

Nobody

This is my issue....

The Supreme Court can decide to hear cases about unimportant things that matter to basically nobody. Then can refuse to hear and rule on cases that literally have to do with stripping the rights of millions of people that were laid out in the founding documents of our nation.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    This is my issue....

The Supreme Court can decide to hear cases about unimportant things that matter to basically nobody. Then can refuse to hear and rule on cases that literally have to do with stripping the rights of millions of people that were laid out in the founding documents of our nation.

in all seriousness, what has scotus actually done? md has draconian laws, va is about to outdo md. nj and ca easily outdo md. dc also. i seem to have heard of progress, yet a lot of states are pretty infringed upon.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    yep, despite all but several counties becoming 2a sanctuaries, the dems are doubling down on gun control. despite tens of thousands at the richmond rally, dems are full steam ahead on gun control. doubtful that calls and emails will change their minds, but doesn't hurt to try. it's just a numbers game and hopefully the dems have created a republican monster that will be unleashed come november.

I'm confident that some seats will turn red in backlash to this. It drives me bananas that when pro gun legislators are in control, they don't go for it like we are seeing the dems doing now. I really hope that is not the case after 2021.

If they can't change my mind with their words why would I think that I can change their mind with my words?

Perhaps it was just a matter that enough strongly worded letters were not written. We need more people calling and writing.

I get frustrated that there is no enough solidarity. IMO, people are still to comfortable to change things.

I still see SCOTUS talked about all the time. How often does scotus get involved and how long does it take. They would be busy for the next 20 years undoing all the wrong/bad laws that have been put out there and they simply can't/won't/don't do it. It's to expensive and time consuming for the average person to play court games. Only lawyers like to play court games as it's how they get paid. A citizen just wants their freedom and liberty.

Cops, have no duty to protect says SCOTUS:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia
    Yet the gov is allowed to stop you from protecting yourself. Thanks SCOTUS
    TBH, I don't want the cops to protect me as it is my job to protect myself and my family. Nor would I want to grow gov to the point where there are enough public servants to protect/watch me 24/7 for privacy reasons and for cost/tax reasons just to name a few.[/QUOTE

Many people here disagree with my opinions on how these gun-grabbers should be handled. I predict another feckless opinion from the Supreme Court sometime in June on the current case that is before them. It will give States just enough wiggle room that they will still be able to pass the same sort of controlling legislation that removes our rights. When that happens I believe it's time to use the Second Amendment for which it was written for. 40 years of writing letters writing emails making phone calls rallying in the capitals has done little to nothing 2 stop the infringement let alone roll back any. It just seems to me that many gun owners don't really give a rat's butt about future Generations holding on to their second amendment rights. There's a reason why our founding fathers put the Second Amendment into the Constitution. And right now we are seeing exactly why. How many people have been victims of violent crime and have died because they we're not allowed to exercise their Second Amendment right? What is the target number for removing these tyrants. 50000? 500000? 5 million? How many people have to be victims? Is it fair to Kick the Can down the road and make future generations of Americans fight that fight? Because that's what it's going to come down to. There's no way around that. If we want to hold on to our Second Amendment rights we are going to have to fight for them and I'm not talking about at the voting booth. It's clear that the left is never going to stop attempting to disarm the American people even if the court ordered them not to pass any more gun control bills and that's not going to happen. The only way this ends in our favor is to remove those who are violating our rights and yet few if any so-called 2nd Amendment supporters are willing to actually stand up against a tyrannical government. What's it going to take? I'm guessing it'll never happen. So tell your children and their grandchildren that eventually they are going to have to give up their second amendment rights because that's really where this is heading. Go ahead and Flame me I know you want to but deep in your heart you know I am right and if you don't well go ahead and turn your guns in now

Because the Democrats know that if and when the sanctuary County argument goes before the court they will win. We are a country of laws and the law in Virginia says that the legislature in Richmond makes the defining laws for the state of Virginia. As much as you want the sanctuary movement to work it's probably going to lose. The Democrats are counting on that just like they're counting on another fact list opinion from the Supreme Court in June.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    It drives me bananas that when pro gun legislators are in control, they don't go for it like we are seeing the dems doing now. I really hope that is not the case after 2021.

Exactly what happened in '16-18. Plenty of pro gun legislation put up but the wimps in Congress sat on their thumbs. More Republicans care than Dems, but even those numbers are dwindling. Draining the swamp isn't just about the witch hunters... Its about dredging the entire thing.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Democrats hate America, they want more crime and more murders just like in Maryland which has double the homicide rate and double the gun control as Virginia.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I also think any SCOTUS decision will be feckless and, quite frankly, cowardly.

Politicians have no fear of passing these laws because there is no repercussions. If a law is overturned, the politician suffers no harm from the courts, voters, or gun owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom