• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    I bought this upper specifically for this can...wanted the short stroke piston rather than DI to prevent gas in the face

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    my suggestion is to remove the c- clip and shims. you probably don't have a enough threads with the c- clip. also, with a jam nut you shouldn't need shims.

take everything off, put the jam nut on all the way, put the surefire muzzle device on until all the way to the nut, back it off less than one turn, just until it's clocked* the way you want, then jam the jam nut to torque it. Consider also some red loctite on the threads cause I don't trust the jam nut to stay torqued.

edit: three prong flash hider does not really need to be clocked, except for looks.

no end cap strike>> looking cool so I'd just torque it down and not worry about clocking it.

I don't think there are enough threads to get rid of the jam nut. there are thinner jam nuts you can get off Amazon. if you still don't have enough threads with the jam nut, remove it and get a smaller one.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    also, I don't trust the jam nut. I'd check alignment every time you shoot it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If it were me, I'd dump the C thing, Rocksett the jamb nut to the proper depth to time the brake(not particularly necessary with that QD brake) and rocksett the brake on a day later, once the jamb nut has time to dry.
    To me, the more links in a chain, the greater the possibility of the chain failing. But first, assemble as I suggest without the rocksett to make sure you will achieve concentricity.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I re watched the video. looks like the c clip goes inside the jam nut and is an integral part. apparently it's the part that holds the nut against the shoulder.

what a retarded design.

if that's the case, get rid of the shims. follow posts # 44/42 except with the c clip inside the nut.

as noted, don't worry about clocking it. just get it on there concentric

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If it were me, I'd dump the C thing, Rocksett the jamb nut to the proper depth to time the brake(not particularly necessary with that QD brake) and rocksett the brake on a day later, once the jamb nut has time to dry.
    To me, the more links in a chain, the greater the possibility of the chain failing. But first, assemble as I suggest without the rocksett to make sure you will achieve concentricity.

This. It doesn't take a large variation in alignment to affect things 7" down the shaft.....

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    pics

Attachments

• AR10 308.jpg
      AR10 308.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 66
    • AR10 308 1.jpg
      AR10 308 1.jpg
      45 KB · Views: 62
    • BRN180 1.jpg
      BRN180 1.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 73
    • BRN180.jpg
      BRN180.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 72

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    you can see they both contact the bore at the 7 o'clock position (if I could rotate the pics correctly that is)
    I've gone back and looked at them both very closely and they look like the can is off rather than the muzzle device/barrel...I've called Surefire and sent them these pics. they are sending me new mounting kits for the muzzle devices just to try one more time but have also issued a return number so i can send the can back and have them check it. when I thought it was off just on the BRN upper I figured it was the wonky jam nut causing the issue...now that it's also off on my very expensive gunsmith assembled and machined 308, my suspicions are now focused on the can it's self

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    I re watched the video. looks like the c clip goes inside the jam nut and is an integral part. apparently it's the part that holds the nut against the shoulder.

what a retarded design.

if that's the case, get rid of the shims. follow posts # 44/42 except with the c clip inside the nut.

as noted, don't worry about clocking it. just get it on there concentric

I have used rockset already on everything and plan to use it again.

I would love to find someone with a surefire SOCOM 30 cal can so I can compare it. see if my can properly aligns on their muzzle device and vis versa. that will help me identify where ther issue actually is. in the mean time I'm going to try every combination possible to see if anything works...just to narrow it down to my can being the issue.

if anyone has a similar set up and wouldnt mind seeing if mine fits yours please pm me

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    on the BRN180 i'd be getting rid of the shims and the muzzle device "spacer." like the clown said:

the more links in a chain, the greater the possibility of the chain failing

Do I also see a muzzle device spacer on the 308 in post #51?

Get rid of all spacers and shims and extra things that shorten the threads and make it wonky.

The odds of two muzzle devices being off to me are slim. But tbh at this point i'd be going to direct thread.

Attachments

• AR10 308 1.jpg
      AR10 308 1.jpg
      4.9 KB · Views: 56

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    thanks for the suggestions. I'll be trying it as described over the long holiday weekend. yes that is a spacer on the 308. I followed the instructions from Surefire and installed them per their manual I linked in post 57. I'll try without all the extra spacers and report back

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Going by the pics, looks like it passes the clearance test?

I have never found a need to clock the three pronger. If you'll notice, the prongs are not symmetrical to the bore. They are off-set.

A pick of my recce gun. Notice the shapes of the prongs. This gun shoots sub MOA.

Attachments

• recce.jpg
      recce.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads