Any Good Places To Rent Pistols Near MoCo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwa

Dec 22, 2012
    Hey Guys,
    So my dad has been asking me about buying a handgun (and his first gun) for home defense after a few break-ins in our neighborhood. The way I see it, my dad should get a chance to get some range time with several different calibers and pistols before he buys (and probably overpays, considering recent events). Plus, it would be a great way to blow off some steam myself after some pretty stressful exams :bannana:.

So, my question is, are there any places near the Bethesda-Rockville area that would have a variety of rental handguns for my dad to try out at a somewhat reasonable price? Also, if anyone wants to chime in on what kind of gun my dad should consider, that'd be much appreciated too.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    there is A place. Gilbert's in Rockville (off Gude Dr.)

Look for one of those Living Social deals, otherwise you have to join (pay membership fee), buy ammo from them (who knows how that is now priced).

Push further out from MOCO and you can find another range with a better deal.

pwa

Dec 22, 2012

Look for one of those Living Social deals, otherwise you have to join (pay membership fee), buy ammo from them (who knows how that is now priced).

Push further out from MOCO and you can find another range with a better deal.

I've heard of them, and most of what I've heard has been negative. No harm in poking my head in and asking around, it's only a 10 minute drive away. Thanks.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Ignore the negativity. Gilberts is ok for what it is. And don't be put off by concerns about a pricey 'membership'. It's like $15 for a week. I think gun rental is $10. .22 costs about $10/100, 9mm is about $13/50 (could be WAY off on that) .38 is $19/50, .40 is $24/50

Or thereabouts. Avoid weekends and late in the day if you can.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    If they aren't in the prosses of moving and you don't mind a little trip Maryland small arms range in upper marlboro has a decent selection of rentals. It's off of dower house road behind Andrews afb. It's 7 bucks to rent one but you have to use their ammo for rentals. The new range will be just down the street if it's open yet.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    I would suggest on-target in severn, they have a large range of handguns and they let you exchange rental guns for a flat rate of $10, where as the other ranges charge you for every rental gun.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    I would suggest on-target in severn, they have a large range of handguns and they let you exchange rental guns for a flat rate of $10, where as the other ranges charge you for every rental gun.

+1 for On-Target.
    The last time I went it was a $10 flat fee. I cycled through about 8 different pistols. Keep in mind the popular guns will get checked out often so you may have to wait until it becomes available again.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And after you've made your decision may I recommend Engage Armament in Rockville for your purchase? Great staff, fair prices, and a brand new shop to enjoy. They are an Industry Partner here and should be on your short list of where to buy.

701 East Gude Drive
    Above RAM Cycles.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012

Gilberts wont let you walk in alone and shoot - they said I must bring a friend along.

+1 for On-Target.
    The last time I went it was a $10 flat fee. I cycled through about 8 different pistols. Keep in mind the popular guns will get checked out often so you may have to wait until it becomes available again.

+1 for On-Target. Decent selection of rental guns.

Double check what ammo they hand you to go with the rental - I was once handed the wrong ammo for the gun I rented.

I like Blue Ridge Arsenal, which is in Chantilly, VA. They have many rentals. It is not close to MoCo, but I have yet to find a good spot that is.

I suggest your dad to take a look at Glock - specifically the G19 Gen4. 9mm is relatively inexpensive ammo, so he can get in many practice rounds without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    +1 for On-Target.

I second On-Target.

If you lived closer to Baltimore County, I would suggest Continental or FreeState.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Gilbert's is "ok". As mentioned earlier its $15 for a week membership, however, both you and your father will have to pay it. The ammo prices are very high for a "week" member. They are tiered. The annual members (me, and I'm not renewing) pay ~13 for a 50/rd box of 9mm. I *think* it's in the vicinity of $16-19 for 50/rds 9mm for a week member. I can speak to the prices or rental options- never used their firearms. The staff leaves a lot to be desired. Finally- if you have not shot there, there is a ~20 min safety video you must watch followed by a quiz. (Not a bad thing for a new shooter, and old shooters...)

Before joining Gilbert's I shot at On-target (www.ontarget.biz I think) also mentioned above. They have a great rental option, you must use their ammo for rental guns, however it is on par (or cheaper) with the annual members at Gilbert's. there is a lane rental fee there, but it's reasonable. Their staff is friendly and efficient. There can be long lines on the weekends.

Finally - for the type/suggestion- there should be only one answer to this: A firearm that your father is comfortable with, can safely, confidently and accurately put rounds on target, can afford to practice with, and finally enjoys shooting, so he will practice with it. There are many great, great options that will fit this bill.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Gilberts wont let you walk in alone and shoot - they said I must bring a friend along.

+1 for On-Target. Decent selection of rental guns.

Double check what ammo they hand you to go with the rental - I was once handed the wrong ammo for the gun I rented.

I like Blue Ridge Arsenal, which is in Chantilly, VA. They have many rentals. It is not close to MoCo, but I have yet to find a good spot that is.

I suggest your dad to take a look at Glock - specifically the G19 Gen4. 9mm is relatively inexpensive ammo, so he can get in many practice rounds without breaking the bank.
    On Target is a good place to try it out. You pay one rental fee and can exchange guns as much as you want. You just pay a one time gun rental and then half hour time increments. You cannot bring your own ammo if using their rentals. You must buy ammo from them unless you bring your own gun. So plan on shooting a box(50) for each caliber you want to try. If you're set on a single caliber, then you can switch models as soon as your ready.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Once you've decided on a purchase, you can shoot at the NRA Range in Fairfax. Being your own ammo and targets. They don't rent guns so not a lot of newbs. Probably creates a safer environment.

NRA RANGE LINK

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    On target is a good please to start. Service kinda sucks, but I can't think of any place better in the area.

Maybe ask if a member here might go shooting with you and let you finger bang his pistols? If I still lived in MD I'd volunteer.

mshilto89

Sep 6, 2012
    Aspen Hill, MoCo
    And after you've made your decision may I recommend Engage Armament in Rockville for your purchase? Great staff, fair prices, and a brand new shop to enjoy. They are an Industry Partner here and should be on your short list of where to buy.

701 East Gude Drive
    Above RAM Cycles.

I second this, I purchased all of my stuff from EA and have not had any negative experiences yet! AWESOME staff, EXCELLENT prices and selection, and no feeling like "oh your not here to buy anything?" :thumbsup:

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Fourthing Engage. I went down to their new shop to see what they had in stock (not much by the time I got there) and even though they were hella busy, multiple people made sure to greet me, ask if I needed help or wanted to see anything, and made sure to thank me for stopping in even though I hadn't bought anything. Absolutely top-notch experience, from what I now understand to be top-notch people. My next purchase will be from Engage if at all possible.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    When ever I've been looking for a new handgun and want to try them out, I've gone to Continental Arms in Timonium. They have a pretty good select of rentals.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    A long way from moco you could always make a day trip to targetmaster in chadds ford, PA. They have.the biggest rental I've ever seen at a public range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom