• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I've combed the forums and studied the Maryland laws like a prosecutor looking for a conviction, and I cannot find anything that says I can/can't purchase and own the following:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_777035_-1_757786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

M&P15-22 MOE - Flat Dark Earth
    SKU:811035
    Caliber: .22LR
    Capacity: 25 Round Detachable Magazine
    Barrel Length: 16" / 40.6 cm
    Action: Blow Back Semi-Auto
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 15"
    Front Sight: Folding MBUS
    Rear Sight: Folding MBUS
    Overall Length: 33.75" / 85.7 cm Extended - 30.5" / 77.5 cm Collapsed
    Stock: Magpul® MOE Stock (extendable)
    QD Sling Swivel Attachment Point
    Magpul® MOE Stock and Grip
    Magpul® Folding MBUS Sights
    Threaded Barrel with A1-Style Compensator (1/2 x 28” Thread)

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. (I should have stayed in Michigan)

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    should be fine minus the 25 round mag. Maybe the dealer can ship the mag to a friend in a close state and you can pick it up sometime when you visit.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

I own a variety of handguns, it was the flash hider and stock that had me concerned....especially when S&W sells a MD Compliant version of everything.

Is the compliant version designed to make it available for sale in retail without the hoops like an assault rifle or handgun?

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Seen one at a Walmart in DE and they wouldn't sell it to me because it looks like an assault rifle. Then found one at a real gun dealer in DE they said they would sell to me. Did the paperwork and after waiting for a week they wouldn't sell it to me either because of the magazine. The couldnt get a straight answer from the ATF so they didnt want to take a chance. This sucks.....

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    especially when S&W sells a MD Compliant version of everything.

WTF is a MD compliant version?

How does it differ from a TX compliant version or a VA compliant version?

the ONLY issue is the magazine size we have no other restrictions.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    So in my case is it legal for me to buy this gun in Delaware with the 25 round magazine? I know the magazine is the illegal part but if I can legally buy the high capacity magazines out of state and bring back to MD then what's the difference?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It's kind of a gray area. The FFL really shouldnt sell the gun and magazine together. They would be able to sell the gun without the magazine then you could buy the mag from them seperate.

I believe selling both at the same time together would not be following MD FFL laws and thus would make the sale illegal.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    It's kind of a gray area. The FFL really shouldnt sell the gun and magazine together. They would be able to sell the gun without the magazine then you could buy the mag from them seperate.

I believe selling both at the same time together would not be following MD FFL laws and thus would make the sale illegal.

Thanks for the info. I may talk to the dealer again.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Huh? You have to comply with the laws of both states. MD law says you can't purchase the mag in MD. It therefore still complies with both if you purchase with mag in DE.

OP, just transfer it at a non MD ffl and three mag becomes a non issue.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    It's not a grey area, really.

It is really crazy. The dealer was super nice about everything but really playing it safe as not to get either one of us in jam. He even called a dealer in MD and that dealer said he wouldnt sell it that way. I think all dealers are playing it extra safe right now.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    It is really crazy. The dealer was super nice about everything but really playing it safe as not to get either one of us in jam. He even called a dealer in MD and that dealer said he wouldnt sell it that way. I think all dealers are playing it extra safe right now.

I understand, but it's completely legal. MSP has told people it is. It complies with all the laws. I understand caution though I guess.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!

He should have called MSP.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've combed the forums and studied the Maryland laws like a prosecutor looking for a conviction, and I cannot find anything that says I can/can't purchase and own the following:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_777035_-1_757786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

M&P15-22 MOE - Flat Dark Earth
    SKU:811035
    Caliber: .22LR
    Capacity: 25 Round Detachable Magazine
    Barrel Length: 16" / 40.6 cm
    Action: Blow Back Semi-Auto
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 15"
    Front Sight: Folding MBUS
    Rear Sight: Folding MBUS
    Overall Length: 33.75" / 85.7 cm Extended - 30.5" / 77.5 cm Collapsed
    Stock: Magpul® MOE Stock (extendable)
    QD Sling Swivel Attachment Point
    Magpul® MOE Stock and Grip
    Magpul® Folding MBUS Sights
    Threaded Barrel with A1-Style Compensator (1/2 x 28” Thread)

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. (I should have stayed in Michigan)

I ordered a special from Ruger for a 10-22 that included some BX-25 mags, 25 rounders. The advice above is sound, it's perfectly legal to own, just send the mags to a friend out of state.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but remember that the law only bans TRANSFER in MD, if you owned that mag, they can't take it from you and it's not illegal to posses, just transfer

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom