• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I apologize for being snippy to BigFoot44. As you have probably figured by now, it's not JUST 2A issues that bothers me about MoCo. I have been here for over 25 years. The ruling class here has ALWAYS been ugly towards anyone that is not left of center. I was in the US Army at the time I moved here and that alone was a scarlet letter. I could go on, but now we have a Country Exec who has stated publicly that ICE is a terrorist group. Having such a nut in charge (and I believe he should resign), along with Red Flag laws, I think MoCo has become a liability to gun owners to the point that moving to another county in this state is actually not that crazy an idea. I probably should have stated this in the first post, although I am thinking a lot of you already figured where I was coming from.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I apologize for being snippy to BigFoot44. As you have probably figured by now, it's not JUST 2A issues that bothers me about MoCo. I have been here for over 25 years. The ruling class here has ALWAYS been ugly towards anyone that is not left of center. I was in the US Army at the time I moved here and that alone was a scarlet letter. I could go on, but now we have a Country Exec who has stated publicly that ICE is a terrorist group. Having such a nut in charge (and I believe he should resign), along with Red Flag laws, I think MoCo has become a liability to gun owners to the point that moving to another county in this state is actually not that crazy an idea. I probably should have stated this in the first post, although I am thinking a lot of you already figured where I was coming from.

Don’t forget being a “Sanctuary County” and passing a law that allows Illegal Immigrants to hold public office saying “if they live in the county they should have a say on how it’s run”. When I moved here (just east of the Fred/Wash county line) close to 30 years ago this was a nice area then the MoCo “refugees” started coming west.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    We are blessed in Wicomico County with having Mike Lewis as a sheriff. Lived here a long time and never had anyone stop or harass me over firearms.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ask Fabs about HoCo !

The gist is that while in the right places, there is no discharging of firearms other than at game, or in actual self defense , county wide .

Yup, pisses me off. My place is too small for target shooting really. Or at least I figure I’d piss my neighbors off. That said, if you are on 30 acres and have a safe back stop, why not? I’ve got a friend on 7 and he has a nice backstop. Can’t shot on it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hmm - what would that cost me? Would I have enough left to buy a house? :)

Depends on which 50 acres. I’ve seen some property 30-60 acres in Garret that’s been $120-200k. So long as you don’t want to be right by deep creek, that’s doable. That’s my hope for a few years from now is well my rental and by 30-60 acres out Washington county or further west (maybe WV) and build a cabin on it as a vacation and hunting property. Maybe/probably retire to it and build a proper house down the road.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I'll throw my hat in the ring for Carroll and Harford along with rural Balt. Co and Frederick. Generally speaking, it seems in this state that the farther you are from 295/29 and the beltways, the better, and that the state gets exponentially better the farther you get from the soulless sprawling neoliberal hellscape contained within them.

As to the more far flung corners of the state, I'm a New England boy at heart so mountains and rolling hills are more my thing, and I spend as much of my free time in Washington/Garrett/Allegheny counties and WV as possible. That said, I really "get" southern Maryland and the quieter, more far-flung corners of the Eastern shore. It's a shame they're so far from the mountains.

Ultimately, though, no matter where you are in this state, you have to resign yourself to being ruled over by the political whims of shrill HoCo/MoCo soccer moms with their effete Ira Glass lookalike husbands and drooling, corrupt, endlessly hustling Clay Davis wannabes from Baltimore and PG.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    MoCo is the best! (As long as you are part of the favored, protected classes). You don’t have to pay taxes or document your income. Your gang buddies don’t have to be worry about ICE- the local cops will let you go if they think there is a detainer!

Most of the local idiots don’t even have guns and can’t defend themselves. Easy targets!!

We have this guy, Elrich, who is trying to make Rockville the Tegucigalpa on the Pike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Carroll County is full right now.
    We can put you on the wait list while you and your family are being vetted.

This ^^^.

You also need to understand that almost everything south of Liberty Road (Rt.26) has been gerrymandered and is now under Howard County rulers.

Job and kids in college kept us in MoCo until 2009. We then moved to Garrett county until July this year, when we relocated to Tennessee. Living in MoCo was hateful even ten years ago, when we left. Certainly, 2A issues, but far more than that. MoCo is a liberal’s paradise and so far left that even northern MoCo, which is solidly blue, thinks southern MoCo is nuts. Garrett is much friendlier to 2A but MSP is still MSP, and the western MD counties have zero clout in Annapolis - very much a MD version of taxation without representation. The county has one delegate and one state senator in largely hereditary office. I’d say Garrett is like having a head cold instead of tuberculosis. But I’d also say that moving from MD to Tennessee is like being reborn. One example: I asked a city cop about concealed carry. He said I should assume that in any group of ten adults, two or three will be armed, and the cops depend on this. He also encouraged me to get my CCW and explained how simple it is to do here. And 2A is just one example of how government really serves citizens here. I have often wondered what it’s like to live in WV. It’s almost certainly better than MD, but how much better I don’t know. If you have to live in MD, just hold your nose. But when the time comes, there really are far freer states and you should find one.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    1) If you live anywhere where you can get a pizza delivered, you are in the wrong place.

2) If you can't get pizza delivered, you are getting close.

3) If you have to drive 30 minutes to get to a place where its POSSIBLE to get pizza delivered, you are probably OK.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    We then moved to Garrett county until July this year, when we relocated to Tennessee.

Which part of Tennessee did you relocate to? Doing some long range planning and Tennessee is on our list of places to check out.

Which part of Tennessee did you relocate to? Doing some long range planning and Tennessee is on our list of places to check out.
    We’re in Cookeville, about 50 minutes East of Nashville. Cookeville is big enough to have services and some good restaurants, but not big enough to feel like a city. The very first thing we noticed about the place was how nice people are to each other down here. Seriously, it’s almost a Twilight Zone kind of difference. Then in setting up accounts and working with the county and Cookeville city government, they really think they work for the taxpayers. The county clerk showed me what TN has for vanity plates, so my Harley now has a Gadsden “Don’t Tread On Me” license plate on it. Gotta love a state that will let you have that. I could go on. There is a lot of water in TN and we’re looking around now for places on a lake or river. If you have school age kids, choose your county carefully - some systems are poorer and the schools are not great. But Cookeville has award-winning schools, so it depends on where you live. The timing was right for us, but I really wish we could have left Maryland sooner. The constant drumbeat there of white guilt, liberal “values”, progressive solve-waste-with-more-tax-spending made me testy and bitter about all government. It’s no exaggeration to say that I hate Maryland liberals. Good luck with your planning. I don’t think TN will disappoint.

Last edited:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    We’re in Cookeville, about 50 minutes East of Nashville.

Thanks for the info. Was planning to take Wifey to see Nashville and surrounds later in the Fall. We'll probably look at Cookeville on the way in.

We're also looking at NC. The climate's really nice most of the year and folks are pretty friendly. Chapel Hill is a quirky college town with lots going on. Healthcare is pretty good with both Duke and UNC Hospitals competing. Wifey's also looking around other parts of the RTP area. It's okay, for the most part. Only downside are taxes.

ultraplanet

Shooter
    Jan 10, 2013
    Swanton
    1) If you live anywhere where you can get a pizza delivered, you are in the wrong place.

2) If you can't get pizza delivered, you are getting close.

3) If you have to drive 30 minutes to get to a place where its POSSIBLE to get pizza delivered, you are probably OK.

I always thought this was a problem and never really put it together before but you're right! :thumbsup:

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    I affectionately refer to the people that live near AGC as the Marriottsville militia! Hoping if the hordes of zombies pour out of Baltimore, the Marriottsville Milita will halt any westward advance and save much of the state.

LOL!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom