• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So if one has a job and in-state tuition for a child going to school compelling one to stay here for 4 years at least (more likely 5-7); where is the best county to live? I am getting tired of Montgomery County and a local government that does not work for me, and is unfriendly towards the shooting sports, to include hunting. Maybe Carroll county? Would be closer to AGC.

The other option is wait until the college thing is over and re-evaluate after that. If nothing else this can be a thread to provide info for those having to move into Maryland.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    As long as you aren't in the 'municipal zone' or whatever they call it where you are on public water/sewer in Baltimore county, which basically gives you most of the central and northern part of the county to work with, the restrictions for things like target shooting on your own don't seem terribly onerous.

Basically, be safe, be considerate, keep it all on your property, and you should be good to go. Does that mean someone won't complain? No...but the law doesn't prevent it here like it does in many areas. I'm in the central part of the county adjoining Loch Raven Reservoir watershed land, and hearing people shooting on their property is not uncommon. Up in Freeland where I was, it was like a shooting gallery around me most weekends.

There is a map that shows the boundary between zones available at the police station...it's also around here somewhere...

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    So if one has a job and in-state tuition for a child going to school compelling one to stay here for 4 years at least (more likely 5-7); where is the best county to live? I am getting tired of Montgomery County and a local government that does not work for me, and is unfriendly towards the shooting sports, to include hunting. Maybe Carroll county? Would be closer to AGC.

The other option is wait until the college thing is over and re-evaluate after that. If nothing else this can be a thread to provide info for those having to move into Maryland.

Of the counties closest to the major Baltimore/Washington population centers, Carroll is arguably the lone standout that hasn't been totally overrun by the liberals. To a lesser extent, Harford as well.

Baltimore City, Prince George's County, and Montgomery County are beyond awful. Howard and Baltimore Counties are nowadays bad as well. Charles and Anne Arundel aren't far behind. The other 17 Maryland counties actually tend to be fairly conservative, but they have little voice because they're overrun by the liberal strongholds listed.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Answer #1 - There is none, state laws apply uniformly state wide.

Answer #2 - What you probably meant to ask was what parts of Maryland are more conservative/ better quality of life/ hunting friendly, etc .

If those are the controling priorities , then far Western Md, or far Southern Md .

But, if the equation includes commuting proxmity to Balt or DC regions , it gets trickier . In this thread you will receive recomendations of this or that corner of a particular county not being too bad * Right Now * . But all of those Counties are narrowly on the cusp, and can flip at any moment . For example, 5 yrs ago, Western Howard would have recieved recomendations , and now HoCo has gone full looney .

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    Cant speak to Western MD. Did live in SoMD around the Laplata, area for 30 years. It is still mostly conservative politically, but is changing slowly. Hunting and fishing is still considered an acceptable way to spend time and you are not made to feel like a troglodyte if you enjoy those pastimes. Freds Sports has an indoor range. Myrtle Grove is an outdoor range. I lived in the Port Tobacco area and loved it.
    Commuting north....only way is 301 north, RT 5 or 210 Hwy all are heavy traffic corridors.
    Wife and I are retired now, living in SWFL no more snow or cold weather. My heart and a lot of good friends and memories are still in the SOMD area.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Few places in md that would justify me moving to them. When I move it will be out of state.

Yes, parts are better than others but not worth a move to still be stuck in md.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

The farther west of Baltimorgue the better. I find that western Maryland followed the letter of the law IAW the 7 day release. Frederick and east seem to be more of a CYA. Now that everything seems to be more on track with MSP and their “not disapproved” reply’s I still have a bad taste left from that time.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Western Maryland, Eastern Shore, Carroll and Harford Counties would be my picks. Maybe Southern Maryland? don't know much about that. Basically the further away from Baltimore-Washington corridor the better.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Answer #1 - There is none, state laws apply uniformly state wide.

I absolutely do not agree.

For one thing, MoCo has additional requirements; e.g., MD is supposed to be open carry for hunting rifles. Not in MoCo; they have to be cased.

Further more; the interpretation of the law is different based on the attitude of the local government and the guidance they give the local police, or at least that according to Mark Pennak, president of Maryland Shall Issue. And it's not the police I have an issue with; it's the lunatic fringe they are compelled to work for.

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    I'll add - Carroll County is, in general, less liberal and therefore less anti-gun than some other MD counties, but there is an inexplicable dearth of gun shops. It's a real head scratcher to me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Of the counties closest to the major Baltimore/Washington population centers, Carroll is arguably the lone standout that hasn't been totally overrun by the liberals. To a lesser extent, Harford as well.

Baltimore City, Prince George's County, and Montgomery County are beyond awful. Howard and Baltimore Counties are nowadays bad as well. Charles and Anne Arundel aren't far behind. The other 17 Maryland counties actually tend to be fairly conservative, but they have little voice because they're overrun by the liberal strongholds listed.

Yeah, Howard county itself isn’t terribly tolerant of guns. For the people, Western Howard though is mostly tolerant. Most of my neighbors are pro gun or neutral. Most are pro-hunting if they themselves aren’t hunters.

Tons of hunting opportunities since there are not many hunters. I am hoping a bit of letter writing might get the HoCo delegation to push reducing archery safety zones like MoCo did. They might not, but I don’t see them being adverse. Just not caring more likely.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ask Fabs about HoCo !

The gist is that while in the right places, there is no discharging of firearms other than at game, or in actual self defense , county wide .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom