What is the highest level of medical training you have received?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the highest level of medical training you have received?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    Wait, didn’t you also have an ugly ankle injury a couple of years ago?

More’n a couple now, but yeah. I’m pretty good at ugly injuries. The athletic trainer in high school signed my yearbook, if that’s a hint.

Bimalleolar with full dislocation, left ankle. Three screws and a pin, plus a stabilizer they removed 2 months later. Somehow, I avoided plates, despite being threatened with them.

Then, of course, the 7 plates and 13 screws, plus a cc of demineralized bone matrix, in my right humerus.

So there’re two scars on the left ankle, one big’un on my right arm, an ugly one on my left palm, an incision scar on my left knee...and a few other little ones here and there.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    More’n a couple now, but yeah. I’m pretty good at ugly injuries. The athletic trainer in high school signed my yearbook, if that’s a hint.

Bimalleolar with full dislocation, left ankle. Three screws and a pin, plus a stabilizer they removed 2 months later. Somehow, I avoided plates, despite being threatened with them.

Then, of course, the 7 plates and 13 screws, plus a cc of demineralized bone matrix, in my right humerus.

So there’re two scars on the left ankle, one big’un on my right arm, an ugly one on my left palm, an incision scar on my left knee...and a few other little ones here and there.

I thought that was the case. You need bubble wrap.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Physician Assistant-Certified (PA-C)
    Tri-Service Combat Casualty Care Course (C4) x2
    Registered Nurse, BSN
    Army Corpsman

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wait, didn’t you also have an ugly ankle injury a couple of years ago?

Day-um!

Wfey's knee replacement was a result of a motorcycle accident she had 40 years ago, not long after we got married. Split tibia plateau like a piece of fire wood. 30 years of surgery to follow until she finally broke down for the replacement. Infection set in thereafter. Then this...

I've always said women have more grit than men. You two are living proof! :thumbsup:

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I've taken some training, but don't have nearly as much as I'd like to have.
    So, far, I've had:
    -CPR/First Aid
    -Local county's free Stop the Bleed course
    -Dark Angel Medical's Tactical Aid Course
    -Active Response Training's Tactical First Aid and System Collapse Medicine class
    -Lone Star Medics' Medic 1 class

If my work and family obligations slow down, within the next year or two, I'd like to look into giving time to my local VFD. If that works out, I'd love to take the next step, and get EMS training. (But, that was still a ways off, even pre-coronavirus)

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    Day-um!

Wfey's knee replacement was a result of a motorcycle accident she had 40 years ago, not long after we got married. Split tibia plateau like a piece of fire wood. 30 years of surgery to follow until she finally broke down for the replacement. Infection set in thereafter. Then this...

I've always said women have more grit than men. You two are living proof! :thumbsup:

Ouch. I broke my left patella in February (in northern CT) on my afternoon paper route. Tripped and fell, patella first, on a flagstone (frost heave popped up a corner). The chip was ¾ of the patella, but only a sliver, and it stayed in place. Had 3 sets of x-rays before the head of sports medicine happened to come back to the hospital to check on a surgical patient. He took one look at the x-rays (now 6 hrs after the accident), pointed to the fracture right in the middle of the patella, told the resident to put a pressure dressing on my now elephant-sized leg, gave my mom his card and told her to call the office the next day for an appointment on Monday. This was Thursday night, btw. Got the first of 3 casts, the only plaster one, that Monday. Last cast was removed in April.

Had to have surgery in July to remove the chip because the sucker was a floater; every time I bumped my knee, it would move and cut something else. Sometimes, it got into a spot where my knee would lock up. No bending, no walking when that happened.

But I’ll take that over her motorcycle accident and aftermath. Ouch.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Serveral qualify, but my latest is pharmacy school, Bachelor in Pharmacy. Should have stayed the extra year for PharmD.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Basic First Aid, CPR and Stop the Bleed.

When it gets real serious I just have my wife look in WebMD.

In all seriousness how did you like Dark Angel. Was it worth it in your opinion and how much of the information do you feel you have retained?

Phenomenal class. Of all the many classes I've taken in how to shoot stuff, this class (which didn't involve shooting stuff) was one of the best. Took it 6 years ago and feel like I still remember a lot of it. Plus I have my notes, the manual, and have reviewed many more of the key principles in segments of subsequent classes.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    MD EMT, 1982 to current

NY, FL and MI EMT, 1984-86

National Registry EMT-Paramedic, 1983-90

Florida EMT-Paramedic, 1984 -88

Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Instructor, 1984-89

Currently enjoying retirement.

gun_nut

Dec 9, 2018
    Basic first aid and the wife and I decided to take a stop the bleed class at Hopkins about a year and a half ago. Figured it was good information to have.

I’ve considered getting more training or volunteering at my local FD but was always too busy. Maybe now that I don’t have a job to go to, I should follow through.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    It's a shame there isn't a vote for no training. A lot of people don't go to the trouble of getting any unless their job makes them.

intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Advanced Practice RN option would be good.

Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, MS specializing in anesthesia for last 15 years.
    Wife is an FNP candidate. Finishing her last semester, boards in June.
    Both have been nurses since 1998. Both have trauma rescusc experience.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    What is the highest level of medical training you have received? Reload this Page Re

I'm a self certified Groinocologist...

With an FBI degree in Female Body Inspections...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom