• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dozier_94

Mar 28, 2013
    Southern MD
    So I have offers from 2 different sellers who are selling an sks with an original 10 rd magazine, a 30 round magazine, with 80 rounds. The other is selling an original Czech Vz.52 rifle that only takes 7.62x45 but comes with two 10 round mags and 375 rounds of ammunition I would like to know which I should get and also the pros & cons of each rifle so I can make a final decision.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Buy the SKS. Parts and ammo are way more common. 7.62x39 is still in widespread use, whereas 7.62x45 is now obsolete. The x45 ammo will eventually dry up and be much more expensive vs the x39 which is arguably one of the most common calibers in the world.

Dozier_94

Mar 28, 2013
    Southern MD
    Buy the SKS. Parts and ammo are way more common. 7.62x39 is still in widespread use, whereas 7.62x45 is now obsolete. The x45 ammo will eventually dry up and be much more expensive vs the x39 which is arguably one of the most common calibers in the world.

Thanks man thats 2 for the sks

I don't know if you could find a 7.62x39 barrel for the Chech, I have a chech in 7.62x39 and the mags for the x45 run perfect in it. That's the problem with those chech but it is a nice carbine.
    I'd go with SKS, tough work horse. I don't see much in parts for the 52 either

Dozier_94

Mar 28, 2013
    Southern MD
    I don't know if you could find a 7.62x39 barrel for the Chech, I have a chech in 7.62x39 and the mags for the x45 run perfect in it. That's the problem with those chech but it is a nice carbine.
    I'd go with SKS, tough work horse. I don't see much in parts for the 52 either

Thank you sir 4 for the sks.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There is a chamber insert for the Vz that lets you shoot x39 in them. If you're a reloader, you can make x45 brass from .220 Swift brass. x45 ammo is corrosive, so cleaning will require getting the salts out, most new x39 is not corrosive.

I have both a Vz and an SKS.

RiveraJr

Mar 5, 2013
    Indian head
    Sks, can handle anything you throw at it, lots of accessories to tacticool it out. Keep in mind that a lot of the aftermarket parts may need some sanding to fit your sks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll turn the question back to you.

If you want an interesting piece of history, and of Czech engineering , and be rarer , and presumably appreciate more in value , then the Vz .

If you want a shooter , adaquate cal , reliable , shoot within two minute of whitetail, with a modest sprinkle of history , then SKS.

If this is a first/ only/ primary rifle , then SKS.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I thought all VZ52s were in 7.62x39 so that's news to me.

That said SKSs have a fixed magazine. All of the detachable magazines that I have run across are spotty at best so if you buy the SKS ditch the BS mag and learn to load from a stripper clip.

RiveraJr

Mar 5, 2013
    Indian head

That said SKSs have a fixed magazine. All of the detachable magazines that I have run across are spotty at best so if you buy the SKS ditch the BS mag and learn to load from a stripper clip.

Nothin a quick sanding can't fix

Verbotene

Lurker Supreme
    Feb 27, 2012
    Vz52/57 would be a better bet, being chambered in x39, but be prepared to pay quite a bit more for it.

I love my sks, I'd buy a vz52, but more of a novelty than as a shooter, given the difficulty of finding x45 ammo.

Get the sks if you plan on shooting it often.

Dozier_94

Mar 28, 2013
    Southern MD
    Vz52/57 would be a better bet, being chambered in x39, but be prepared to pay quite a bit more for it.

I love my sks, I'd buy a vz52, but more of a novelty than as a shooter, given the difficulty of finding x45 ammo.

Get the sks if you plan on shooting it often.

I plan on using it for home defense purposes only & occasional target practice. Thanks man thats 7 for the sks

Dozier_94

Mar 28, 2013
    Southern MD

Thank you man thats 8 for the sks your opinion is appreciated!

Dozier_94

Mar 28, 2013
    Southern MD
    I'll turn the question back to you.

If you want an interesting piece of history, and of Czech engineering , and be rarer , and presumably appreciate more in value , then the Vz .

If you want a shooter , adaquate cal , reliable , shoot within two minute of whitetail, with a modest sprinkle of history , then SKS.

If this is a first/ only/ primary rifle , then SKS.

Thank you for your viewpoint I appreciate it ! Thats 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom