• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I was fortunate to get an in stock alert for the new Winchester Wildcat in 22LR with the 16.5-inch threaded barrel last month. Price was slightly higher than when it first came out with the 18-inch barrel, but still under $260 shipped. It is a Turkish build for Olin that owns the Winchester brand and has in the past had some Winchester shotguns manufactured in Turkey as well as classic rifles made in Japan.

I had, to my regret, initially passed on a Thompson/Center T/CR22 package that came with a case and red dot for under $300 in the first half of 2020, and of course wanted it when the deal was expired and the package was nowhere to be found at least at that price point. The T/CR22 was an intriguing rifle designed to accept Ruger 10/22 magazines and came with other features that I found attractive, including a rear aperture sight. The Wildcat replicated these features; it also accepted 10/22 mags and it had a rear aperture. And it had other innovations. This time, I didn't hesitate in purchasing.

In 2019, I picked up a Ruger 10/22. I had several from before, but like many 10/22 owners, you can't keep just one, and this new model had a few things going for it. Ruger designated it the "Mans Best Friend" Collector Series Rifle (model # 31115). It came with some swag including a nifty rear sight adjustment tool (that can be put on your key ring) as well as a $25 certificate to shop at Ruger. It was, like the Wildcat, under $260 to get to my FFL. This rifle had a problem that I failed to notice until after the transfer - the front three-blade sight was canted and it wasn't adjustable. Ruger immediately offered to take it back and fix after a phone call. Ruger's rock solid guarantee on the function of their competitively priced products is often not considered when firearms shopping, perhaps because we've grown so used to it. I like this particular 10/22 model because it had the rear aperture sight as well as a stock with a changeable cheek riser module. The fancy engraved bolt was nice. But it's Ruger so it's also rugged and built to last.

If you've heard anything about the new Wildcat, you've heard that it's innovative. Not only does it utilize the Ruger 10/22 mag system, they've tried to improve it. Moreover, it's faster to drop the trigger control group and bolt out of this rifle than it is to separate an AR-15 lower and upper. It's dead simple and speedy. While innovation is cool, not not all innovation is necessarily an improvement, especially if there are trade-offs. I got the Wildcat because of the intercompatibility with the 10/22 mag system + the new design features - but would it measure up overall?

68b06508089c4781951975b21e17d0a4.jpg

0b2fa11dd2b0bda2ac12034f5a7db452.jpg

1f36b59c382e87fe8e72809d3d77ee96.jpg

3075771cfa4b702b1f9bf65d7d7d8089.jpg

43b2772c3f94d0130ea61be27dabcf0b.jpg

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sun was bright today. I had a gap in my work. And the range beckoned. So I grabbed both 22LR rifles and few different boxes of ammo.

I didn't get a lot of rounds through both rifles. The Ruger has had maybe 500 rounds through it before today, and the Wildcat shot 50 rounds today. The only cleaning it had prior was a spray of Royal Purple gun oil down the bore followed by a bore snake. There was only minimal residue in the firearm from the factory test firing.

To abbreviate this report, I'll briefly touch on points of comparison below.

Overall weight, rifle balance
    Wildcat 4 lbs
    10/22 MBF 5lbs
    For the Wildcat with the 18-inch barrel, it's been reported that it is imbalanced with more weight on the front. I didn't notice this with the model that I have (16.5-inch barrel). I checked the center of mass and it is perhaps 0.5-1.0 inch in front of the magazine well. For this 10/22 MBF model, the center of mass was 0.0-0.5 inches in front of the magazine well. So they're both very similar. Perhaps having a little more weight in the rear stock makes it feel more stable for some. I didn't notice any diminished stability. When shooting offhand, the rifle shouldered easily, quickly, and stably. No knocks on the 10/22 on this count either.

Barrel
    Wildcat - 16.5-inch
    10/22 MBF - 18.5-inch
    The Ruger barrel has a glossy blue finish whereas the Wildcat has a matte finish. The Winchester sticker on the Wildcat left a mark, but hopefully this will easily clean. This model Wildcat has a threaded barrel and a steel thread protector (unlike my Tikka T1x, with a plastic thread protector).

Magazine system and operation
    The 10-rd Wildcat mag has differences in design to the 10/22 mags. It has a rotary dial to aid in loading - but I found it unnecessary. It is semi-translucent, so like some 10/22 mags, you can see the rounds inside. It also has a bolt hold open feature that only works on the Wildcat. Nice, but also not necessary for me. Overall, it also feels flimsier than the 10/22 mags. I probably won't buy extras and will just stick to my 10/22 mags - which is possible because the Wildcat functioned flawlessly with 5 different 10/22 mags. Note, it was a minimal test, only 2 rounds loaded per mag after target shooting. Included in the test were 2 black 10/22 10-rd mags, 2 clear 10/22 10-rd mags, and 1 black 10/22 BX-25 mag. The Ruger clear mags are known to bind in some 10/22 platforms, but they were fine in the Wildcat. Similarly the Wildcat mag worked in the 10/22, although it didn't retain the bolt after last shot.

Important to also note that the Wildcat can drop mags using a convenient sliding release integrated in the forearm sides or through a tab under the forearm like the 10/22. For the flush fitting 10-rd mags, the sliding release is easy and fast. For longer mags, the tab drops mags fine.

Quality of sights and included rail
    The Wildcat cleverly includes a sight adjustment tool in the drop out trigger control group. And today, I needed to adjust windage so was glad that it was there and easily accessible. The Wildcat front and rear sights are polymer, and they are minimalistic. I was worried that I would strip material on the rear sight when tightening when securing, and was reciprocally worried that if I didn't sufficiently tighten, it would drift. It seemed to hold, but it didn't inspire confidence. The front sight is also a simple post, but it is removable.

Although the 10/22 had an initial front sight problem, after Ruger fixed it, the iron sight system is quite functional. The rear sight is adjustable, and both front and rear sights are rugged.

Both rifles include rails to mount optics. The Wildcat has a hard polymer rail and the 10/22 has a steel an aluminum rail.

Sling mounts
    Both rifles include swivel sling mounts. For the Wildcat, on the front of the forearm, the sling mount and a short bit of Picatinny rail is hidden by a cover. I haven't slinged either rifle, and thus didn't remove the cover. Not sure why they include it, but now that it's there, I of course worry about losing it, lol.

Trigger
    Both rifles can be dry fired. For the Wildcat, one needs to dry fire before disassembly. Even if the manufacturer says it's fine, because I am not in the habit of dry-firing my rimfire guns, I only do it when necessary.

For sub $300 rimfire rifles, I found both triggers acceptable. I didn't measure breaks, but would estimate they are in the 5-lb range. The Wildcat has an 1/8 of an inch no resistance take-up, and then another 1/4-inch of mushy resistance before the break. Wasn't bad. The stock 10/22 trigger had about 1/8-inch take-up before resistance and then another 1/8-inch of steady resistance before a clean break. It was slightly more stageable for me.

c5e67d55afacca21990d5635c402db63.jpg

c92ff2e68a0bb0e7e161ae83a488e8d9.jpg

002eefc47823fc49d86178a2d701692f.jpg

e28cc1503c9ce57bf629259a4e8a0713.jpg

6fe6f30511d4ed7458f131eaf60e2d92.jpg

ab6210cdaadcf72ed49985c1c0f5b679.jpg

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Function and accuracy
    Today, the Ruger had a few things going for it. It has a better iron sight system. I could more easily predict the trigger break on it. And I had more time shooting it. For the Wildcat, which I shot second, I ended up rushing this session because I spent too much time fiddling with the rear sight adjustment and had to be back home before 3pm. Yikes

All circled bunches in the pics below are 5-shot groups from a bench at 25 yards. Both rifles used their original factory magazines for the "accuracy" test.

Despite the Wildcat having larger groups, the very first 5 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity that I shot through it yielded a pretty decent group. However as I began to rush, and not liking the sights (it was hard to find that front post at times) and not knowing the trigger as well, the groups opened up. I think it will do better with an optic.

The Wildcat had no problem with the different ammo tested (shown in some of the pictures). By contrast, the 10/22 failed to cycle after one of the Norma Match-22 rounds. Might have been a light charge, but the bolt might also need a bit of cleaning (a bunch of scouts were the last to shoot this rifle).

Disassembly
    No contest. The Wildcat requires one to close the bolt, pull the trigger (safety off), and push a big red button (in a narrow channel on the back of the receiver) with very little force to pull out the entire bolt system and trigger control group. I thought it would be tight initially, but easy peasy on the very first attempt. It is so cool.

Is it life-changing? Not really. I clean my 10/22 rifles by just spraying the internals and using a paper towel to blot out the cleaning agent and whatever it brings with it. I keep the bolt retracted when I clean the barrel and pull a bore snake from the open receiver from the bore to the muzzle. However, if choosing between both, I love the drop the internals trick. It is simpler.

Modularity (stock changes), sight upgrades, aftermarket
    This header is somewhat self-answering. We know that the 10/22 is king in this realm for 22LR semi-automatic rifles. The Wildcat has potential. The barrel is also easily removed from the rifle. Let's hope that there are emerging options to do upgrades on the platform.

Long-term durability
    Of course, the first trendsetter in the 22LR polymer rifle arena was from now more than a half century back, the Remington Nylon. And we know that these rifles proved to be durable. I suspect the polymer upper receiver which the steel bolt rides on in the Wildcat will hold up fine even after 10s of thousands of 22LR rounds. However some of the other parts that come with the Wildcat, the sights, the rail, and the magazine are points of concern for me. I don't have similar apprehension about the 10/22 MBF build.

Conclusion
    In summary, I am happy with the Wildcat. Although a limited number of rounds were tested, it didn't have any hiccups. It also fed from 5 different Ruger 10/22 mags with no issue. The rapid disassembly is awesome - it is so easy to clean. I love how light it is.

At the same time, there is cost to the weight reduction with all the polymer parts. Both front and rear sights feel fragile. A minimal impact hit with a harder material may snap or shear them. But at least they are replaceable. More of a concern is the top rail which is a part of the upper receiver. I don't like polymer Picatinny rails. I have overtorqued aluminum mounts on them on other platforms and had the polymer give a little. If there is an aftermarket that develops for this rifle, I hope there will be options to replace the receiver or move the trigger control group/bolt and barrel into new stock. For the interim, I am going to put a red dot on this rifle and take care to not overtighten the mount.

If I had to pick one rifle to keep between the two, despite the innovation of the Wildcat, I would actually keep the 10/22. Ruger is standing behind it (I am sure that Olin/Winchester is likely pretty good - but I know Ruger is outstanding). The aftermarket is tremendous. The stock trigger is fine for me, but the inexpensive Ruger Bx trigger upgrade is out there. The front sight, now fixed, is rock-solid. The rail is steel metal. The rear sight is steel metal. I know that I can bang around this rifle and nothing will snap. And it's still relatively light, coming in at 5 lbs. Finally, it shoots inexpensive ammo (circa 2019 pricing) reasonably well. I haven't scoped it - and don't plan to - but I'm sure this would tighten the groups. However I like the iron sight system that it currently sports. I have horrible eyesight, but the three beefy blade through the aperture system works for me - easily minute of soda can at iron sight distances. If I want to shoot tight groups, my Tikka T1x that has a nice scope will do it all day long. But if I want to have fun, take a new shooter out, go plinking, I'll take out the 10/22, and yeah, maybe the Wildcat occasionally too. :)

402320a9ba49810f462d96a46eca6048.jpg

5089c218be9881aa0238caed8904a67f.jpg

af8452869f1f4b97006b169888d284cb.jpg

cf7590703f04184690087744282b6ad1.jpg

Last edited:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Nice review. I think the Wildcat is way too much plastic looking. If you are concerned about cleaning, the 10/22 takedown does make it easier to clean the barrel.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks, folks.

Great thread and very much appreciated by a grandparent shopping early ahead of next Christmas!

I actually think the Wildcat will eventually be great for my youngest (who's almost 9 and currently uses youth single shot 22 bolt). The light weight is ideal and his young eyes will more easily pick up the front sight post. Just wish they had a model with a shorter length of pull.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’m sitting in my car at a job site and cannot read the entire post, but I’ll get to it later.

I need to ask Protege V which emoji is the one for Jealousy.....

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Great review! Can't believe I had missed it yesterday because I was hoping you would review the Wildcat! Really appreciate all the detail and pictures.

I think the comparison with Ruger's "Man's Best Friend" edition (which was a screaming deal a few years ago - wish I had bought 3) is a good one because the comparison of the "upgraded" iron sights and baseline accuracy/trigger is more apples-to-apples.

Great to hear on the reliability, mag compatibility, basic accuracy, light weight, and cool features of the Wildcat. Looks like the T/CR22 is the goldilocks "baby bear" between these rifles - the Winchester takes further steps away from the 10/22 baseline while maintaining compatibility. Very interesting.

Understand all of the points on the durability of the sights/scope rail - I agree that having metal sights and protective wings seems like a good baseline. My M&P 15-22 polymer rails have survived quite a bit of abuse with a red dot and Magpul polymer sights. Hopefully it would be similarly durable should you go the dot direction and use a torque limiter.

A few questions, if you don't mind:

• You reference using a tool to adjust the sights of each - what kind of tool was it and how precise and repeatable were the changes? It seems a lot better than hammer and punch for windage adjustment on Ruger stock 10/22 sights, but is do they move as you turn a screw or is it loosen a set screw, drift/push, watch the lines on the back of the rear sight (which is the same as the T/CR-22)? Not expecting Tech Sights type adjustments, just curious how it worked and what the tools look like.

• How did the bolt hold-open and bolt release compare? May have been less of a difference if you have an auto bolt release on your MBF 10/22, but since that is a mandatory upgrade in my book, interested in what the Wildcat comes with.

• How did the hollow stock feel on the Wildcat? Seems like a low comb height and has a downward angle at the rear would make it shoulder...funny. But maybe only looks that way. Also seems to be the same length of pull as the adult module for the Ruger modular stock - is that right? I think you reference that in the post today. Sounds like a missed opportunity to have a youth sized and weighted reliable semi-auto (which is my holy grail for instructing).
    Thanks again though - really appreciate the time you put into it :party29:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Very well-written and informative. Thanks!
    I’m sitting in my car at a job site and cannot read the entire post, but I’ll get to it later.

I need to ask Protege V which emoji is the one for Jealousy.....
    Amazing write up...thanks so much! I’ll have to look at the Wildcat for my youngest.
    Thanks, gents. It's been months since I had range time, especially as my weekends are rarely mine. So it felt great to get out.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great review! Can't believe I had missed it yesterday because I was hoping you would review the Wildcat! Really appreciate all the detail and pictures.

I think the comparison with Ruger's "Man's Best Friend" edition (which was a screaming deal a few years ago - wish I had bought 3) is a good one because the comparison of the "upgraded" iron sights and baseline accuracy/trigger is more apples-to-apples.

Great to hear on the reliability, mag compatibility, basic accuracy, light weight, and cool features of the Wildcat. Looks like the T/CR22 is the goldilocks "baby bear" between these rifles - the Winchester takes further steps away from the 10/22 baseline while maintaining compatibility. Very interesting.

Understand all of the points on the durability of the sights/scope rail - I agree that having metal sights and protective wings seems like a good baseline. My M&P 15-22 polymer rails have survived quite a bit of abuse with a red dot and Magpul polymer sights. Hopefully it would be similarly durable should you go the dot direction and use a torque limiter.

A few questions, if you don't mind:

• You reference using a tool to adjust the sights of each - what kind of tool was it and how precise and repeatable were the changes? It seems a lot better than hammer and punch for windage adjustment on Ruger stock 10/22 sights, but is do they move as you turn a screw or is it loosen a set screw, drift/push, watch the lines on the back of the rear sight (which is the same as the T/CR-22)? Not expecting Tech Sights type adjustments, just curious how it worked and what the tools look like.

• How did the bolt hold-open and bolt release compare? May have been less of a difference if you have an auto bolt release on your MBF 10/22, but since that is a mandatory upgrade in my book, interested in what the Wildcat comes with.

• How did the hollow stock feel on the Wildcat? Seems like a low comb height and has a downward angle at the rear would make it shoulder...funny. But maybe only looks that way. Also seems to be the same length of pull as the adult module for the Ruger modular stock - is that right? I think you reference that in the post today. Sounds like a missed opportunity to have a youth sized and weighted reliable semi-auto (which is my holy grail for instructing).

Thanks again though - really appreciate the time you put into it :party29:

Thanks for the feedback!

I just took some snaps.

I got it wrong on the Ruger MBF tool. It's an Allen wrench. I keep it in the range bag with a keychain piece that came with the rifle and ended up conflating the two.

The Ruger rear sight drifts on windage when loosened. I haven't played with the separate elevation screw.

The Wildcat tool is also a small hex key that's in the dropout trigger/bolt assembly.

The Wildcat rear sight has one screw that allows changes in elevation and windage when loosened. It's a bit squirrelly when loosened.

Good point about the bolt release/hold open. I did this change on the Ruger MBF. I do it on all my 10/22 rifles. The Wildcat operates the same way. There's a red tab in front of the trigger guard. It's in fact easier than a modified Ruger and works in much the same way with less resistance.

As per your last question about the stock, etc. Length of pull between the two rifles is identical. I personally didn't feel there was an issue in shouldering and getting a cheek weld to look through the "iron" sights on the Wildcat, but it would be low if mounting a scope. When I was doing the final test of the 5 Ruger mags in the Wildcat, I was standing up shooting off hand.
    85f5b5099f01a33de72a7bb2227da891.jpg

f668296540fcd2b90a28bcfcf0a01678.jpg

7d25ee73040cb989d68795b3491cb2b2.jpg

b9bd1603912ba800f87b4b74c653fb09.jpg

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Awesome - thanks for the extra detail.

Seems like having two screws for the Ruger makes it easier to make adjustments in one axis. The fact that you haven't had to mess with the elevation is a positive - you know it is locked down.

On the Wildcat...squirrelly is a good word.

I think the T/CR was one screw too, but would have to look (didn't have enough clearance to retain the rear sight with the scope mount and bell I have on them). VERY similar to the Wildcat sights, although it had a fiber optic front (probably with similar durability concerns, though mine have stayed put).

The allen wrench storage on the drop-out trigger assembly is a great idea. Ruger would do it too...but you would need another allen wrench to get to it :D

The auto-bolt is a nice plus for the stock Wildcat. And good to hear the stock was working well on the Winchester.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So even if the 18" Wildcat is not as well balanced, I would accept that in trade for the longer barrel. I think a 22LR would benefit from the longer barrel and sight radius. Excellent review.

[EDIT] hmm - just looked it up and you get like 30 fps with 2 extra inches of barrel so not much help after all.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Though I have no interest myself in the Winchester Wildcat, it is an absolute pleasure to read a review as well composed as this one.

Fidelity, very well done! And thank you! You sir, may have missed your calling.

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks for writing such a detailed and interesting review. I have to admit I'm a bit biased to the 10/22. The May issue of American Rifleman also had an article about the Wildcat if anyone needs more reading on the rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom