• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Hey all, seeing as my car needs some brake pads soon, figure it's time to find someone in near Elkton who won't try to rip me for every red cent or play stupid games with me.

I have a Toyota 2011 camry, pretty run of the mill car, so I don't think I will need a specialty mechanic. I also strongly prefer to avoid dealerships as my family has had bad experiences with them.

So, who do you guys trust out here within, say, a half hour one way of Elkton?

2701Jim

May 5, 2011
    Northern Baltimore County
    Your location says Forest Hill so I can recommend a great and honest mechanic right in Forest Hill across from the Pizza Hut. Fallston Auto Service Garland is the owner 410-879-1876.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Whoops, need to update my location. I like right in the middle of Elkton now. Also, I've never done brakes before. Oil, tires, yes. Never brakes.

Paul Ward

Jan 2, 2021
    Shamrock Automotive. I have gone there for 20 plus years. Always fair. I’ve seen him let folks make payments that couldn’t afford an unexpected repair. Bob is a great guy.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Whoops, need to update my location. I like right in the middle of Elkton now. Also, I've never done brakes before. Oil, tires, yes. Never brakes.

You Tube is your friend :) If just pads and rotors simple and quick!!!

Shamrock Automotive. I have gone there for 20 plus years. Always fair. I’ve seen him let folks make payments that couldn’t afford an unexpected repair. Bob is a great guy.

The place right before Whitehall (old Walmart) ?

If so had a bad experience there (actually the wife) she brought our sons 88 celebrity in for an inspection

It failed because all 4 inner tie rods were bad. They wanted almost 800 dollars to fix (kids first car that he got for free)
    Estimate listed 4 inner tie rods and 2 outer tie rods

I went in and asked where 4 inner tie rods were on that car. Told me the car was "special"

Needless to say I changed the rack and the outers for 130 dollars and firestone did the wheel alignment for 80 dollars.

Havent stepped into that place since

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    You Tube is your friend :) If just pads and rotors simple and quick!!!

The place right before Whitehall (old Walmart) ?

If so had a bad experience there (actually the wife) she brought our sons 88 celebrity in for an inspection

It failed because all 4 inner tie rods were bad. They wanted almost 800 dollars to fix (kids first car that he got for free)
    Estimate listed 4 inner tie rods and 2 outer tie rods

I went in and asked where 4 inner tie rods were on that car. Told me the car was "special"

Needless to say I changed the rack and the outers for 130 dollars and firestone did the wheel alignment for 80 dollars.

Havent stepped into that place since

Wait, that might be the same place as the one my mother used to go to with her VW Beetle. We found out the guy there had been putting "questionable" parts into her 2000s beetle after the 3rd clutch replacement in 4 years.

If it's the same person, I believe he is, along with his sons, also serving time for ripping off the USPS and having them bust him for trying to rip them off when they sent him one of their large mail trucks for service. Tax fraud and such.

Also, I need to get a good ratchet to do the brakes and rotors myself. At least there's conveniently open parking lots nearby (my driveway ain't wide enough). Finally, I just hit 150k miles, have an inspection coming up, and want a trained eye to give it a good look before I let the state do it.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Unfortunately, I don't have a recommendation for a good, honest shop/mechanic. But I have had two poor experiences with Brantwood Service Center on 213 south of Elkton. I had one poor experience, didn't use them for 3 years, then took a chance and had them do some minor work on my daughter's car. Mistake.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Did you ever identify a competent/reliable/non-ripoff mechanic in Cecil Co.?
    FWIW, I can also recommend Shamrock Automotive on Rt.40 in Elkton. I do 90% of my car work myself, and I take the other 10% to Shamrock. I know he does good work, because I'm able to inspect it afterwards. I had an alignment issue this Summer and he didn't have the correct equipment, but he recommended the Midas next door and they also did a great job..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom