• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    What is the "usual" PCC for Action shooting?
    I don't have one now.
    I'm assuming 9mm?
    And I'm assuming rifle over a pistol?

So something like the Ruger PC9 19122/19124.
    I see the SIG MPX PCC seems to be a really nice rifle, just more $$ than I want to spend right now.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What is the "usual" PCC for Action shooting?
    I don't have one now.
    I'm assuming 9mm?
    And I'm assuming rifle over a pistol?

So something like the Ruger PC9 19122/19124.
    I see the SIG MPX PCC seems to be a really nice rifle, just more $$ than I want to spend right now.

Big, broad, loaded topic of nearly religious character! A few thoughts in no particular order:

1) Depends on which action shooting you're talking about. For example, some competitions don't permit PCCs that are overgrown pistols with braces. Events that are more about fun and less about structured league matches/seasons tend to be less fussy and you have more options/amusement.

2) Certainly 9mm is going to be the most common, if for no other reason than (as bad as prices are, for now) that's going to be your least expensive ammo to blaze through a couple hundred at a time on a Saturday morning. It can still knock down steel targets with authority while allowing lightning fast shooting. While I would enjoy having and shooting something of this flavor in .45ACP just for the fun of it, man that would add up fast.

3) It sure helps (again, depending on the match/rules) if the PCC you choose will get along with readily purchased, modestly priced mags that will get you 30 or more rounds per.

Me? I've been thoroughly enjoying a CZ Scorpion Micro (in Maryland, it's a pistol) with a brace. The falling steel match I most often attend is fine with that configuration, and dang it's good wholesome fun. It's got a fancy pants Vortex UH-1 optic on it. The gun's a lot less money than something like the MPX you mentioned, and you can get 35-round Magpul mags for it at very reasonable prices (as well as a large ecosystem of other third-party things like aftermarket safety levers/deletes etc).

At such matches I see a lot of people using AR platform 9mm PCCs, as well as the longer-format variants of the Scorpion. A friend just bought a braced Ruger Charger which he likes a lot. Best bet is going to be visiting a match or three and seeing what people are using - pretty much everybody will at least let you shoulder their rig so you can get a sense of the ergonomics. Some folks prefer a PCC that handles and functions very much like something else they shoot (like the AR platform) so they don't have to have competing sets of muscle memory.

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    Big, broad, loaded topic of nearly religious character!. A few thoughts in no particular order:

1) Depends on which action shooting you're talking about. For example, some competitions don't permit PCCs that are overgrown pistols with braces. Events that are more about fun and less about structured league matches/seasons tend to be less fussy and you have more options/amusement.

2) Certainly 9mm is going to be the most common, if for no other reason than (as bad as prices are, for now) that's going to be your least expensive ammo to blaze through a couple hundred at a time on a Saturday morning. It can still knock down steel targets with authority while allowing lightning fast shooting. While I would enjoy having and shooting something of this flavor in .45ACP just for the fun of it, man that would add up fast.

3) It sure helps (again, depending on the match/rules) if the PCC you choose will get along with readily purchased, modestly priced mags that will get you 30 or more rounds per.

Me? I've been thoroughly enjoying a CZ Scorpion Micro (in Maryland, it's a pistol) with a brace. The falling steel match I most often attend is fine with that configuration, and dang it's good wholesome fun. It's got a fancy pants Vortex UH-1 optic on it. The gun's a lot less money than something like the MPX you mentioned, and you can get 35-round Magpul mags for it at very reasonable prices (as well as a large ecosystem of other third-party things like aftermarket safety levers/deletes etc).

At such matches I see a lot of people using AR platform 9mm PCCs, as well as the longer-format variants of the Scorpion. A friend just bought a braced Ruger Charger which he likes a lot. Best bet is going to be visiting a match or three and seeing what people are using - pretty much everybody will at least let you shoulder their rig so you can get a sense of the ergonomics. Some folks prefer a PCC that handles and functions very much like something else they shoot (like the AR platform) so they don't have to have competing sets of muscle memory.

Good stuff, thanks for the info.
    So I think I'm on the 9mm PCC track. Better for me to spend the time/effort/money shooting not just buying ammo.
    I definitely wouldn't be interested in doing "serious" events. So the idea of a pistol with brace could be an option.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    There's actually a number of threads on this forum regarding "best PCC". In general I think the motto is "bring what you have" but if you don't have, then factor in works for you - price being one of those factors. That said, over the years I've learned to live by the "buy once, cry once" motto for good reason as it's cheaper in the end. In events I've attended, I've definitely seen Rugers, fleets of different AR-9's, Scorpions and others (mainly 9mm) however the serious competitors tend to run some AR-9 variant, such as JP GRM-15, or MPX. We'll all agree MPX's are expensive but it's because of the demand. I spent months looking for mine and several weeks ago when I was visiting one of the local shops, another customer came in to consign his MPX and it was sold within minutes.

All and all if you're going to get into, I'd suggest swinging by a shoot and seeing/watching others. Folks in general don't mind you looking (just don't be a creep). I did that for 3 gun and was floored at the prevalence of 2011's.

No matter what you get, I suspect you'll enjoy...

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I know a lot of guys with PCCs - In fact, I recently picked up an MPX Competition myself. While it is nice gun, the jury is still out as to whether or not it justifies it's price tag. The only reason I bought it was because it was one of those right place, right time, right seller who needed money now situations. One thing I can tell you is that it runs like a champ and I am happy about that.

So, back to I know lots of guys with PCCs, most of which are Franken guns. A lot of them run just fine, but more times than not, these guys had to spend a great deal of time and money to figure out the secret sauce in order to get them to cycle properly. I would never say this about an AR15, but if you are gonna do it, and you don't want the hassle, then do yourself a favor and buy a PCC complete from the factory. Otherwise, if you plan to build, do your research and make sure you buy the right combination of parts that are known to work together.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I know a lot of guys with PCCs - In fact, I recently picked up an MPX Competition myself. While it is nice gun, the jury is still out as to whether or not it justifies it's price tag. The only reason I bought it was because it was one of those right place, right time, right seller who needed money now situations. One thing I can tell you is that it runs like a champ and I am happy about that.

So, back to I know lots of guys with PCCs, most of which are Franken guns. A lot of them run just fine, but more times than not, these guys had to spend a great deal of time and money to figure out the secret sauce in order to get them to cycle properly. I would never say this about an AR15, but if you are gonna do it, and you don't want the hassle, then do yourself a favor and buy a PCC complete from the factory. Otherwise, if you plan to build, do your research and make sure you buy the right combination of parts that are known to work together.

Totally agree. I spent way more than I should have replacing parts and tweaking here and there to get things running the way that I wanted. JP rifles and CMMG in addition to the others mentioned would be worth a look.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I have AR’s in 9mm and 40 but, bought a stribog sp9a3 because of a thread here on mds and have been REALLY happy with it. DONT see the AR’s getting out much now, haha. (I like the shortest reset possible and the Stribog nearly delivers) So much so I ordered and go to pick up a CZ scorpion tomorrow or Tuesday.

Even though I watched a lot of videos comparing both I am looking forward to doing my own comparisons.

If I had to choose one I think a big factor in today’s environment / market for me is MAB availability which “may” lean towards CZ?

PCC’s are fun, Fun, FUN!

Last edited:

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD

Good insight.
    At this point, I'm definitely a complete from factory buyer.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I've never heard a single bad thing about JP pcc's.

spendy, but yes, buy with confidence.

aero precision just finally came out with their pcc. i don't think they have a complete version just yet but they are selling stripped lowers and partial uppers (upper receiver, barrel and forearm, sans bolt and charging handle), and then are selling bolts and charging handles and lower parts kits.

WS88

Jan 5, 2021
    i would agree. JP is a good choice. i dont shoot PCC but have been in the sport for the last two years and havent heard a bad thing. Not that pricey for the quality of what you get.

philmadxx

Jul 16, 2013
    I've never heard a single bad thing about JP pcc's.

Did a LOT of research - I don't like to tinker or try different combinations, change out this, modify that. I Just want to shoot. JP GMR-15 was, without a doubt, the best choice. Goes BANG every time. Doesn't care about ammo, eats everything. Oil it, shoot it.

Best gun purchase I've ever made. First class all the way.

Good luck.
    Phil:thumbsup:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    While there are a lot of available platforms for PCC a few things are common. While there are some nice factory PCCs, the majority of competitors use some kind of AR-9, JP and Lead Star 2 of the most common. The Ruger PC-9 is actually quite popular, at least among the newer shooters. Tandemkross makes a bunch of speed parts you can use to bring it up the field. For speed shooting getting it to cycle fast is key. Since its a blowback action it does have some recoil. So to speed it up you need some kind of speed buffer system. The 2 most common used are the JP Blitzkrieg or the Taccom 3-stage short stroke. I use the latter in mine. For some shooting sport that do not need to shoot at rifle distances, like Steel Challenge you don't need a fully rifled barrel because LW equals faster transition speed. Companies like Taccom and Wiland make barrels with only 5.5" of rifling followed by around 11" of shroud. Takes a lot of weight off the end of the barrel. I am pretty sure it won't be long before a barrel like this is made for the PC-9. Most guns currently use Glock or Glock-clone mags. A few years earlier it was close between the Glock mag guns and the Colt SMG guns, but now most are Glock. I was already shooting Glocks in competition so it was a no brainer. Its like shooting rimfire with a little more recoil in Steel Challenge. Surprisingly you can shoot it just as fast or almost as fast. I am ranked Master in both in SC at 73 YO. Actually more fun that shooting pistols. For one thing in all competitive shooting sports there are no mag limits in PCC. My biggest holds 56 rounds and sometimes you need that many in a big steel match. Of course that can be an issue for MD residents maybe. That's why I moved to WV a few years ago.

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    While there are a lot of available platforms for PCC a few things are common. While there are some nice factory PCCs, the majority of competitors use some kind of AR-9, JP and Lead Star 2 of the most common. The Ruger PC-9 is actually quite popular, at least among the newer shooters. Tandemkross makes a bunch of speed parts you can use to bring it up the field. For speed shooting getting it to cycle fast is key. Since its a blowback action it does have some recoil. So to speed it up you need some kind of speed buffer system. The 2 most common used are the JP Blitzkrieg or the Taccom 3-stage short stroke. I use the latter in mine. For some shooting sport that do not need to shoot at rifle distances, like Steel Challenge you don't need a fully rifled barrel because LW equals faster transition speed. Companies like Taccom and Wiland make barrels with only 5.5" of rifling followed by around 11" of shroud. Takes a lot of weight off the end of the barrel. I am pretty sure it won't be long before a barrel like this is made for the PC-9. Most guns currently use Glock or Glock-clone mags. A few years earlier it was close between the Glock mag guns and the Colt SMG guns, but now most are Glock. I was already shooting Glocks in competition so it was a no brainer. Its like shooting rimfire with a little more recoil in Steel Challenge. Surprisingly you can shoot it just as fast or almost as fast. I am ranked Master in both in SC at 73 YO. Actually more fun that shooting pistols. For one thing in all competitive shooting sports there are no mag limits in PCC. My biggest holds 56 rounds and sometimes you need that many in a big steel match. Of course that can be an issue for MD residents maybe. That's why I moved to WV a few years ago.

Wow.... A lot of stuff here. Very good info. Fantastic info if someone were wanting to be somewhat serious about competing. As I'm just entering the firearm hobby and just considering the idea of attending some matches for fun, this made me do some research, and I learned a lot. So maybe an old dog can learn some new stuff. :lol2: Thanks....

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The money pit of competition shooting is you are almost always willing to try a new part if you think it might give you an edge. As this for instance. Taccom brought out a 12 oz. short rifled barrel, then Wiland brought out an 11 oz. barrel, and Taccom replied with a 10.7 oz. barrel. It never stops so you have to know when to say enough. The pros and sponsored shooters get it for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom