• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm looking for recommendations for certified, full time handgun instructors. Long and short is that after 20 years of qualifying at work, my skills just aren't where they were. I need someone who is willing to work with me from my duty belt since that specific weapon and that specific holster are going to be key to my fundamentals. I'm hardly a new shooter but I do need someone willing to look at my very basic fundamentals and correct as needed.

I love this board and its members but I'm not looking for someone who's a great shooter who is willing to go to the range with me a couple times, hence the qualifier that I expect to pay for good instruction at a facility with a range. This is not an urgent, pressing need but allowing that it's going to be expensive by the time I buy the ammo, I'm looking for instructors now while I gather the supplies.

I live in Colesville, preference given to folks within a two hour drive and especially folks who can work on weekdays. Due to the friendly nature of our board, if you've had a bad experience but you'd prefer not to speak ill of someone in public, please pm me and I'll keep it in confidence.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Although certainly not a replacement for live fire practice and diagnostics with a good instructor, do you guys by chance have something like a MILO range simulator in your agency?

The reason I ask that is we have one and I know our firearms instructors have used it with some success for individuals who were starting to struggle. Between the repetition of practice and ability to easily video record the individual firing, it provides them with good feedback to make adjustments when needed. Obviously it's not a perfect match in terms of accuracy on the range with live fire but a lot of the basic mechanics up to that point can be detected and adjusted before they go back to live fire.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Highly recommend

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-081942_Office.jpg
      Screenshot_20210304-081942_Office.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 225

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Tim von Eiff at Defensive Handgun. He teaches out of Continental Arms but has a great track record with a lot of local LEOs andFederal agents who needed help. 410 905 7074

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm looking for recommendations for certified, full time handgun instructors. Long and short is that after 20 years of qualifying at work, my skills just aren't where they were. I need someone who is willing to work with me from my duty belt since that specific weapon and that specific holster are going to be key to my fundamentals. I'm hardly a new shooter but I do need someone willing to look at my very basic fundamentals and correct as needed.

Were you on when Ron Francisco worked where you do? Ron is the man.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    You didn't mention travel, or budget for training, but in order, the three I would consider first:

https://thunderranchinc.com/product-category/courses/pistol-courses/
    https://www.gunsite.com/course-offerings/pistol/
    https://www.frontsight.com/courses/defensive-handgun-training-course.asp

Unless someone has first hand experience with a specific instructor, it is difficult to give advice. Most of the instructors I have been trained by are long since retired. For local recommendations, you may want to go to some IDPA matches and see if anyone there has any recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom