Peacemaker matches starting back up in March!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I wouldn’t mind going with someone to a long range shoot. I want to see what it is all like.
    Do folks shoot 1000yrd with suppressors?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I wouldn’t mind going with someone to a long range shoot. I want to see what it is all like.
    Do folks shoot 1000yrd with suppressors?

Yes. Every LRC I've been to I've shot with a suppressor. Many people do.
    It's a very low key fun match and squad members are happy to help.
    It's a great time.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Ok, I would like to go and watch at least.

I have a few rifles which would work for that range but they haven’t been properly benchmarked for it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Ok, I would like to go and watch at least.

I have a few rifles which would work for that range but they haven’t been properly benchmarked for it.

I would do one of two things, either use some known good ammo in the gun such as Federal Gold Medal Match and then use a ballistic data app to get a drop/windage chart and just come out and shoot a match.
    The other would be to attend a Frontier Day, which is essentially similar targets but it is just practice. This is actually more expensive than the match but it will give you valuable information you can then use the next time.
    Honestly, I'd opt for the first choice. Just go and have fun.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    100 yds is perfect. long enough to get accurate results. short enough to not really have external atmospherics influence.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So, I have 200 rounds of 175 on the way from a friend. Now to ensure my setup is ready.

Should I zero at 100 or 200 yards?

I keep mine zeroed at 100 yards. Get a ballistic app beforehand and get it set up. When you check in the morning of the shoot, they will have a scoresheet with the target distances. You can enter the distance and a 1 mph 90 degree crosswind and get your drop along with drift for 1mph full value wind.
    I use the Shooter app.
    Then you can hold your windage accordingly.
    Ask questions if you need to, people there are always helpful.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not sure how much you know or don't know, but just in case... make sure you chrono when you zero so you know your actual muzzle velocity. this is important, don't trust what's on the box or what your buddy says. then look for ballistics aps on your pc or phone and plug everything in (muzzle vel, bullet ballistic coefficient, etc). i use the $10 "shooter" app on my phone. this will let you know what you need to dial or hold at the various distances at the match. keep track of actual impacts and how they differ from your app. let's say you're hitting an moa or mill or whatever high at 500 yds vs your app. they you know at 600 etc you prob need to add a moa or mil to what your app is saying.

i'm shooting this on saturday on squad 6, more then welcome to join me and i'll do what i can to help you out if needed.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Davsco all I can say is thank you for the invitation. I would like to go and check out the whole process with you a time or two. This Saturday I am spending it with my mother who just got his second shot a week ago and now can freely see folks.

I will take this advice and work on my zero and crono information. Should be ready with my rifle within two weeks at most.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    peacemaker matches start next weekend! i shot uspsa at fredericksburg today and let's just say there were serious cobwebs!

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Davsco;
    You shooting this weekend? I am trying to things organized to zero this week. I do not have a chrono though. If I can zero I was thinking of heading out to watch some of this at least. Even I do not shoot I want to look at everything and start the learning process.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i am doing the supersteel am and pm matches at peacemaker this saturday. basically you run around with a handgun, pcc or shotgun and shoot down a bunch of falling steel. super fun. it would be a good first match, or 50th match, for anyone. i generally run a squad there. if it's your first match, you can even start from low ready if you want. basic safety rules - keep muzzle pointed downrange, finger off trigger unless you're actually on target and shooting. need 2-3 mags and prob 200 rounds.

so, boothdoc, if you wanted to come out and join in the fun, you could do one or both of these matches. or you could just come out after the pm match (somewhere around 4pm) and i could bring my chrono and we could chrono your gun/load and i could go over some of the prs basics with you. most likely won't have the opportunity to shoot at distance. while we could also zero your gun, their 100yd is on another range so better if you can zero it before.

also i will be out there sun 21 for a 2 gun match and could do the same then.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just a reminder, they're doing 3 gun (with an option for 2 gun including pcc) this fri and sat! they said going out to 500yds and also a rifle plate rack! and shooting some stages up at the old peacemaker house!

following weekend is their kahr match, sorta between uspsa and idpa, always fun.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    https://practiscore.com/pntc-kahr-cinco-de-mayo-tournament-registration/register

this weekend is peacemaker's Kahr match. basically it's similar to uspsa and idpa but less technical. run around and shoot cardboard and steel targets. generally no more than one reload per stage. can use handgun or pcc. pretty good match for newbies. i'm shooting it sunday am and pm. anyone who wants to give competitive shooting a shot is welcome to join me. gun & holster, 2-3 mags and 2 mag pouches should get you thru the match, guessing around 150 round count. basic safety stuff - always keep the gun pointed downrange, incl mag changes and fixing any jams; finger clearly outside trigger guard unless you're on target and shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom