• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ENDuRUN

Jun 13, 2021
    Hi,

I will be taking my brother-in-law and sister-in-law shooting sometime in the next couple months. They have never shot before. Last time I took a new shooter, I had them watch Hickok45 gun safety video. They ended up pointing a gun in my direction. It did not have any rounds in it, because I was giving them one round at a time until I felt like they had demonstrated safety on the range.

Pretty frustrating experience for me and I would like to avoid that again. What do you all do for new shooters?

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I start with a 22. If its family or a close friend, I meet them at my house and show them the safety rules and how the gun operates. Then we go to the range and shoot. I always load the magazines and watch them like a hawk until I know they are safe. I have had to slap a few guns and shoulders so that they dont try to turn around and talk with a gun in their hands.

If they are comfortable with the 22, I then jump to 9mm or 223. I always let them go at their pace and try to bring a game of battleship to keep them interested. Usually the range sessions with new ppl are really short.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Jeez. Where to start. One thing that is often overlooked is handing guns from person to person. This can be very dangerous with new shooters. Always place the firearm on the bench or table, muzzle always pointing down range. That alone will cut down on muzzle sweeps by rookies.

"And that's your shooter tip of the week! Shoot safely and shoot often..."

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Hi,

I will be taking my brother-in-law and sister-in-law shooting sometime in the next couple months. They have never shot before. Last time I took a new shooter, I had them watch Hickok45 gun safety video. They ended up pointing a gun in my direction. It did not have any rounds in it, because I was giving them one round at a time until I felt like they had demonstrated safety on the range.

Pretty frustrating experience for me and I would like to avoid that again. What do you all do for new shooters?

I walk every new shooter through safety at their house. A range full of noise is not conducive to good listening. Make sure they understand the fundamentals like never pointing a gun ANY direction but down range. If you feel uncomfortable, put the gun down and then deal with the discomfort. Everyone wants to go home alive. Treat every gun like it's loaded even when you think it's not.

Once they feel comfortable at home following the basics and handling the weapons for the day, then yes, I start people with a 22 suppressed (Sig 522 + sparrow ss) and then move them up from there. Last group of new folks I took shooting went from 22 to 7.62x54r pretty quickly lol :thumbsup:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Jeez. Where to start. One thing that is often overlooked is handing guns from person to person. This can be very dangerous with new shooters. Always place the firearm on the bench or table, muzzle always pointing down range. That alone will cut down on muzzle sweeps by rookies.

"And that's your shooter tip of the week! Shoot safely and shoot often..."

This is a good point. If you can avoid it, do not hand a gun at the range to your guests, but rather put on the table with the slide locked back, and have them safely go through the motions of loading and taking proper stance. Once they are done, they should put the gun back on the bench in the same manner.

Most RSO's would be pretty pissed if they witnessed anyone getting swept with the muzzle at the range.

Also, I suggest you coach them constructively. I know how frustrating it can be to teach someone with no experience about firearms, but safe to say if they have a negative experience, they won't likely be coming back for more.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    LOL Congrats EndRun..you hit 50 and put your sh!t up for sale in near record time.

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    My $.02 -"No Firearms Firearms Training"

I suggest starting folks out with BB Guns or Pellet guns. That is how I started, and I have helped a lot of people get into the shooting sports the same way.

It is one of the purposes of those non-guns, isn't it?

A Red Ryder with targets at 10 to 20 feet can give the new-to-the-sport a pretty good idea of the process, their enthusiasm or lack thereof, etc.

Gives you a pretty good idea of their safety/muzzle awareness.

Keeps it light with the Christmas Story reference.

A Red Ryder doesn't usually go through safety glasses. BBs cost way less than a penny. (6000 for $7.89 delivered= $.001315 each, how do they do it?)

Can literally be done inside a garage, basement, etc., with a decent trap.

Get's the competitive juices flowing with splatter targets.

Low Risk
    Low Cost
    Low Intimidation Factor for the recoil averse.

Lot of pros
    No Cons

Again, my $.02.
    YMMV!

Rus

MDS Supporter
    Nov 27, 2017
    No. Carroll County
    Start with a 22, or even a pellet gun.
    Meet them at the house and show them the safety rules, how the gun operates, loading / unloading, then practice with a spent casing at the worktable. Repeat that with PPE on for rehearsal.
    Go to the range and shoot, demonstrating first. Give them colorful splatter targets to shoot at. Make it fun for them, and be aware of their attention span.
    Watch them like a hawk, explain why the rules are in place, correct as needed, and be very cautious about letting others interfere.
    Once they are comfortable with a 22, find out what they really want to shoot. If available, offer to include that in the 2nd range trip. Or, of course, buy a new gun for that occasion.....

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Guess my methods were pretty good. My kids are in their 40s now, and whenever they see a firearm, even when they have watched me clear it, they still handle it as if it had a live round in the chamber and was ready to fire.

The few new shooters I have taken, all got a mini safety course before going to the range. Only when I was comfortable they knew what was expected, and demonstrated the ability to perform a few basics, did the trip get scheduled. Cardinal rule is the muzzle is always pointed down range and the trigger finger stays clear of the guard until on target and ready to fire. Those two things must be mastered. Loading and clearing using snap caps is also done.

As stated in post #4 above, the range is not the best place to demonstrate or explain because of noise and the activities of other shooters. Anyplace with a table that is free of distractions will serve well for safety instruction. Use the table or a bench to simulate what you find at the range and run them through the basics until they are comfortable with each task. This will make for a more enjoyable outing for you both.

A rule I have made for myself: Only one new shooter per trip! They get my full attention, and I can remained focused only on helping them.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I always tell new shooters to imagine a permanent death ray coming out of the barrel and I'll stand directly behind them when they're shooting to prevent them from turning around. Diligence is key. I really like taking people to the range that have little to no experience but my level of paranoia is definitely max'd out. I've always had positive experiences but complacency can get someone injured or killed.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    See link below, the fundamentals don't change for whatever you are shooting. It is a great idea to do a "dining room table orientation" no ammo, go over the basics before you are out in the noise as mentioned above.
    https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    As others have suggested, I start with the basic rules of firearm safety, and explain how they work in the context of where we’ll be shooting (i.e. what is “down range” and what the L/R lateral limits are). Then I show the how to work the weapon’s controls and let them practice with a condition 4 weapon and empty magazine. Then I demonstrate; then let them go live.

I always use a table—if we’re outside on somebody’s property I bring a folding table—and have them start/finish with the weapon on the table pointing down range. I have “take your finger off the trigger; raise your hand; place the weapon gently on the table facing down range” as the one and only immediate action drill in case of a misfeed/misfire or any type of brain fart. I also stand directly behind them so that I can react quickly if they try to turn around and muzzle sweep everyone.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I like starting new shooters on 22 shorts. Very little noise and no recoil. That way they don’t be start flinching. Once they are comfortable with shirts move up to LR. Bit more noise and a little recoil. Then switch my Ruger cylinder to 22 mag and it’s loud and a bit of recoil. All in one gun.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Muzzle control , finger placement/ control , 1 round at a time . I stay behind them at a placement where I can grab / get firearm . Don’t give them a chance to sweep anyone or me. Pretty anal until they get it . Some are better than others.

urbantchr

Jun 22, 2021
    As a wee lad, my first pellet gun was a single shot. This was a common practice for beginners in those days because in addition to the safety factor, it taught us the discipline to make every shot count. Good idea handing them every shot individually.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I like to start out new shooters with my Single Six 22lr. It's really good for slow deliberate shooting so one can get down the mechanics. If they get comfortable and want a little more pop I switch to the 22mag cylinder.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I like to start out new shooters with my Single Six 22lr. It's really good for slow deliberate shooting so one can get down the mechanics. If they get comfortable and want a little more pop I switch to the 22mag cylinder.
    Good choice.

I give them a suppressed 22/45. Then they aren’t alarmed by the report and don’t over-react to the functioning of the gun. Then go to suppressed 9mm AR. Then suppressed 5.56 AR.
    I think 5w20 is best for my motorcycle

No it isn’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom