• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vulcanrun

Feb 27, 2012
    Edgewater
    Subscribing, been thinking of getting in the dirt after a hiatus from street for a few years.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The AJP bikes get good reviews from users from what I've seen. They use the old Husky motor (TE610 I think. pre-KTM takeover) and I think are pretty reliable.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    To be truthful though, it spends all of it's time on pavement. Just nowhere to ride off road around here.

https://gravelmap.com/

i'm fortunate to have a roughly 80 mile loop from my house, about 80% dirt roads maybe more. it's pretty cool to not have to load the bikes up and drive hours to ride and frankly i don't care for single track or anything too too gnarly though i do like the opportunity to catch just a little air here and there.

ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland

i'm fortunate to have a roughly 80 mile loop from my house, about 80% dirt roads maybe more. it's pretty cool to not have to load the bikes up and drive hours to ride and frankly i don't care for single track or anything too too gnarly though i do like the opportunity to catch just a little air here and there.

Nice Gravel Map. I use to live in MD City and use to ride my RM250 past the school. and under the BW Parkway in a culvert so I could ride around the Preserve.

ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Good to know.

I can attest to the reliability of the 610 motor. I took a Husky 610 on a TAT trip and it performed flawlessly (except at 10000+ ft it was so down on power that 5th gear was useless). My riding buddies KTM690 rode circles around me at that altitude because he had fuel injection.
    Both of those bike are very good dual sports. If I was buying new right now I would look hard at the new KTM 390.
    Lightness wins off road. Less taxing, easier to pick up. You might not think picking it is hard till you need to drag it back up the hill to the trail, or you are tired/injured/old, or you are at high altitudes.

just my .02

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    The AJP bikes get good reviews from users from what I've seen. They use the old Husky motor (TE610 I think. pre-KTM takeover) and I think are pretty reliable.

Indeed.

Doug from DVTR has one; They are nice machines :party29:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Nice Gravel Map. I use to live in MD City and use to ride my RM250 past the school. and under the BW Parkway in a culvert so I could ride around the Preserve.

as a kid, early-mid 80's, we rode xr-75's down to what is now national harbor and all along the shores there. one time in a big snow we rode from ft washington all the way to clinton, no roads just zig zagging along trails and fields here and there. that was epic! however without goretex and all the modern rain and cold protection, we were cooked (well, the opposite of that) and made my dad come pick me up, boy was he pissed!

Inka

Apr 25, 2010

Great link- just decided to get back into dirt biking despite the challenges of living in MD

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    I am considering getting into the sport, more so to go on trails as opposed to racing/stunts/anything like that.

Is it possible to do while living in MoCo? Are there trails around here and a good community?

I have zero experience on a dirt bike or motorcycle but have always been interested.

Better do it now, because Slow Buyden and Cabala Harris want to take away your Dirt Bikes.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I sat on the 701LR at the dealer, and it is TALL, but settles ok once sitting on it. I'm 6 feet tall and not on tip toes. Off camber situations likely a different story...

I picked one up a few weeks ago but it has really sat in the van until today. Took it into work this morning. I've already put the Wings exh on and machined 30mm bar risers. Many of the other necessary accoutrements are on order. It's interesting that many of the 690/701 aftermarket parts are from europe (and mostly western europe.) It must have a big following over there.

Its no taller than my 500EXC but it is weird riding a big 'street bike' and having the ground so far away. Coming to the first stoplight gets my attention when I expect the ground to be closer like other street bikes.

Attachments

• 20210310_124417_r800.jpg
      20210310_124417_r800.jpg
      121.6 KB · Views: 281

soco

May 21, 2012
    I did some work in bogota colombia and noticed all of the police (with the narcos there, they are more like a military force) all rode drz400s. If it was good enough for them (where they could die if the machine failed) it was good enough for me.

Now I have one, but there are no trails nearby! Central MD is the worst

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I did some work in bogota colombia and noticed all of the police (with the narcos there, they are more like a military force) all rode drz400s. If it was good enough for them (where they could die if the machine failed) it was good enough for me.

Now I have one, but there are no trails nearby! Central MD is the worst

Yep.

Inka

Apr 25, 2010
    I recently purchased a Husky 501S and am working through all the other stuff to buy- gear, tools, a few accessories etc. Glad to be back in the dirt bike game- looking forward to summer

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    If anyone makes their way to Western Maryland, we have a few hundred miles of dual sport trails ranging from easy gravel roads to challenging single track. My buddy and I have it pretty well mapped out.

Last edited:

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    anywhere nearish that I could rent a bike and/or take an absolute beginner class?

There’s a spot not far from MoCo in PA. Rents the bike and gear, very cheap. Good for absolute beginners of all ages. Highly recommended, you might find that you dislike it which will save you thousands. https://www.dirtbikeschool.org/

The class runs like 4-5 hours and goes over the basics and let’s you get to it.

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    Not to piss in anyone's cheerios, but be careful. Dirt bikes (manual and power) have caused a lot of spinal cord injuries young and old. A fun day can turn into a life long nightmare real quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom