• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ammo seek has a lot of suppliers it checks, but Midway and Natchez and a few other do not pop up on it. Do an ammo search and roll through the manufacturers selection. Hundreds in the but a few big ones aren't listed.

good reason for me to stop checking them thx.
    My only luck has been only luck of checking Natchez one day and jumping on some LPP. I checked it every couple minutes while listening to a zoom call and got it into the cart before the Discord message hit. I was so worried about getting my order cancelled I only ordered what I needed for the short term future and did not buy extra for a friend (I'm still paying for that).

Every other discord message has been too late for me to jump on it in time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Still staying on the "devil's advocate side" I 'm not sure $45 a brick is what I would call the street price when very few people are getting that price.
    ammo seek almost NEVER shows primers in stock and your what I would consider lucky if not smart to do what ever you did to get them for $45.
    Most people are not able to. Midway sells so much other stuff that they are not willing to increase the price (for reasons of backlash that you state).
    their benifit of needed profit is not much for primers. People however are buying them at $45 then selling from their home @ $100 or more.
    I'd much rather a the store/distributor/manufacturer profit that $ to stay in a healthy business state cause we need them more than the guy spending all day on the bots to buy primers and flip them.

I think partly his point is that yes, volume might be extremely low, but likely the shop is not actually paying an increased, or at least not drastically increased price from their wholesaler or manufacturer.

So drastically increasing your margins to the point where it is several times the cost they are paying, bothers him. I think in most cases it would bother most people and would generally be the definition of price gouging.

However, there are no government regulations on that and thus nothing stopping them. Other than possibly alienating some customers who might not patron the shop then or in the future.

It is a risk vs reward. Hopefully a business would be diversified enough that a single product category becoming hard to get wouldn't cause the business to suffer significant financial loss.

In some ways it would make it not as bad if universally everyone drastically increased costs (because, say the manufacturer drastically increased costs on everyone). But even if supply is intermittent, there are several companies that have seen no, or only very small price increases. While many others have drastically increased prices.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lazarus, I think your on with what I feel about it. 9mm has basically doubled in price. 9mm going for $300/1000 a year ago is selling out at $600/1000.
    Primers are not jumping up much from Natchez or Midway but we have rationing. First 9/223, then Primers and finally now Powder is getting hard to find.
    The powder guy at Gettysburg had $69/lb and it was selling, but slowly. If it was $30 I would have purchased a year of supply and (spread it around to friends to hold onto for me of course :). I would have possibly taken supply away from someone who was OUT of powder. I feel strongly that people who are retired, out of work or just have free time are sitting on the computer all day and trying to find primers and powder to hoard. The Barter thread here on MDS is a god send.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazarus, I think your on with what I feel about it. 9mm has basically doubled in price. 9mm going for $300/1000 a year ago is selling out at $600/1000.
    Primers are not jumping up much from Natchez or Midway but we have rationing. First 9/223, then Primers and finally now Powder is getting hard to find.
    The powder guy at Gettysburg had $69/lb and it was selling, but slowly. If it was $30 I would have purchased a year of supply and (spread it around to friends to hold onto for me of course :). I would have possibly taken supply away from someone who was OUT of powder. I feel strongly that people who are retired, out of work or just have free time are sitting on the computer all day and trying to find primers and powder to hoard. The Barter thread here on MDS is a god send.

Don't forget the actual scalpers too. But yes, I think you hit the nail on the head. I am sure there are plenty of guys who have always reloaded and shot a high volume who are desperately trying to get what they need as well as guys newly in to reloading just trying to get something also trying to get stuff to reload with and not hoard.

I think there are some many tentacles to the problem it is hard to say any one is the problem. But it is a bit hard to see sometimes when someone mentions they scored 30,000+ primers in a month. Hopefully that means they have several years worth and are now "off the market" keeping demand sky high.

But knowing (mostly indirectly) a few guys, they probably aren't done. A lot will be the ones handing down 100k primers to their kids or have multiple cases up for sale some year 10 or 20 years from now when they are drawing down their collection that have collected dust all that time.

I can't throw stones too much. I've managed to get lucky on a few primers here and there the last couple of months. Those are also the first primers I've snagged since basically this past spring. I am mostly out of the market for almost all primer types now. I got in to reloading only last winter and sadly didn't stock up then, but waited till spring/summer when things were getting scarce. I sure worry about it, but I know I've got a couple years of primers of most types (which means a couple of boxes of most types, somewhat more of SPP, but reload those the most) unless how much I reload absolutely explodes.

I'd love a few cases of each type, but I'd bet some other guys need it more than I do and maybe if they get them, they'll be good and off the market too. So long as I have enough to reload for awhile, I'd rather contribute to the market going back to normal than contribute to the problem.

Also if the Remington primer plant could get back up and running and/or some European imports that would be nice...

PS I think the issue with reloading supplies is hoarding and scalpers more than anything. I think new reloaders and guys reloading more because ammo is hard to find or expensive are secondary. I know plenty of guys who were buying all of the powder and primers and bullets they could possibly find the last year (fortunately I don't know any scalpers, F them). I think with ammo it is new shooters and hoarders as the primary problem with scalpers a distant third. My understanding is UMC/Remington have not been producing the last bit because of change of ownership/FFL stuff going on. Though perhaps that is incorrect. I haven't seen any Remington primers or ammo anywhere, even briefly, in many months.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    As a heads up Powder Valley is dropping primers on APS strips now, first it was SRP, then LPP. Both out of stock now, but they seem to be releasing one type of primer at a time.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Molly’s I’ve spent 10’s of thousands over there and just like Dicks and one other shoe company can kiss my ass. Not one more dime ever again. Pretty soon I won’t have anywhere to spend money at this rate....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom