• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Yeah, you learn and practice all the core skills while taking a couple things out of the equation (money, recoil, and noise). Make Rifleman with rimfire and then requalify with centerfire if you like. Then do rimfire known distance (50-200 yards) and centerfire know distance (100-400 yards).

My favorite part is exploring different rifle and ammo combos - haven’t scored Rifleman with my Garand yet, but hope to some day. Scoped and iron sighted AR, iron sighted bolt action 22, sure have - very fun. Need to try with my M1 Carbine and CZ 527 with irons too. The fun never ends!

And if you need a loaner rimfire for the event, they can probably help you out.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Run the CZ 455 in 22LR. Should be plenty accurate with your CCI Blazer. No need to use match ammo - I usually run CCI Standard Velocity.

Even experienced shooters (which half the participants typically are) find it to be a challenge. In Maryland, we have only had about 50 people score Distinguished on the AQT and only 5 or 6 get perfect scores. But we have had many experienced shooters take 2-3 events (some as many as 8) to score Rifleman.

If it is too easy, come back and instruct :D

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Ah, understood. Well, if that's the case, 22LR is certainly preferable. Thanks for answering my questions. I'm really looking forward to it. It's my b-day gift this year.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Any suggestions for shooting jackets? Any to avoid?

For the actual event you won't need anything specific. Bring something comfortable that will keep you warm and dry.

In fact, I would suggest not trying to get your gear too perfect. Concentrate on the positions, follow what the instructors say, and concentrate on breathing, NPOA, and front site focus. If you get too caught up in the right equipment, or getting your sling perfectly adjusted, it is going to distract you from focusing on what is necessary.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Agree - very few people are using specialized shooting jackets (the USMC style is cool) or other match gear. I do wear a Mechanix Impact padded glove on my support hand - but you don’t need to go crazy. A $30 shooting mat, a sling, a rifle, 2 or more magazines that can hold a total of 13 rounds between them and you should be good.

Hope you enjoy it - a perfect birthday present. Always happy to answer more questions.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    For the actual event you won't need anything specific. Bring something comfortable that will keep you warm and dry.

Ah, ok, thanks. I only asked about the jacket because it was mentioned in the list as something to possibly bring. I just ordered a mat which is a better idea anyway since I've been wanting to start practicing prone and sitting at the range.

Hope you enjoy it - a perfect birthday present. Always happy to answer more questions.

Thanks! I'm excited.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Yeah, we overbuilt that list a bit :)

At most I recommend an outer garment that grips your loop sling on your upper arm close to the shoulder - cotton shirts, sweatshirts (not too loose), and jackets do great. Shooters have slings slide down to their elbow with slick synthetic fabrics - that takes away the advantage of the sling. That’s the most I would consider and try out ahead of time.

You will enjoy running your CZ. I have posted a couple AARs and reviews on mine at Appleseed events here on the forum. Love those rifles.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    I read your post on rimfire iron sights. So do you still like the J&P aperture for the tangent sight? And do you recommend the 1/16" for outdoor?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    The best upgrade I ever got for my rifle.. was taking a Project Appleseed course. Hands down.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I read your post on rimfire iron sights. So do you still like the J&P aperture for the tangent sight? And do you recommend the 1/16" for outdoor?

I do - it could be a little sensitive to lighting conditions indoors when I was practicing and I thought I would need to use the 3/32 or the 1/8 aperture. But I switched back to the 1/16 and it worked well from a covered position outdoors on a sunny day. Honestly, you probably could do fine with any of the apertures at 25 meters. And you may shoot the factory blade better than I did since you shoot other milsurp rifles like the 1911. What I loved was you could sub them out pretty easily without impacting zero.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Patriot's Day Weekend Update

Alright, we have sold out our Annapolis Patriot's Day weekend event - Huzzah!

To help motivate folks to fill the line, we have announced special edition Rifleman patches that will ONLY be earned at that weekend's events (no gimmes, even for instructors). Even if you have earned your Rifleman or Distinguished patch before, you definitely want one of these in your collection!

8ZexatO.jpg

We still have a couple spots open for a one-day centerfire and rimfire clinic in Lexington Park on April 18.

York-Adams in Southern PA still has a few spots open for its two day centerfire and rimfire clinic as well - and we may ask to increase capacity.

Finally, there are still plenty of spots open for an April 16 one-day rimfire clinic and April 17-18 two day rimfire clinic at Leetown Gun Club in Kearneysville, WV.

Hope to see you on the line!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Our Lexington Park Clinic for Patriot's Day weekend has sold out! Huzzah.

But never fear! We still have a few spots open at the two day centerfire and rimfire clinic at York-Adams in Southern PA (just an hour from Towson, Hagerstown, and Frederick, MD for you folks that hate schlepping south for all of our shoots).

Or sign up for our shoots in Leetown Gun Club in Kearneysville, WV. There are only a couple spots left for our Friday (April 16) one-day rimfire clinic. There are also enough spots open for family and friends at the April 17-18 two day rimfire clinic. That one is even more convenient to Hagerstown and Frederick (both 40 minutes) as well as Montgomery County residents (1 hour from Rockville, Bethesda, Gaithersburg).

Weather looks clear so far, low to mid-60s - a perfect springtime shoot without the shivering, sweat, and fogging glasses that you can experience.

Patriot's Weekend Project Appleseed!

Shooters,
    Both Patriot's Weekend Project Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship events in Maryland are SOLD OUT!
    Huzzah!

There are still a few spots left on the line in several states nearby, like West Virginia! Kearneysville is near Western Maryland, in the Harper's Ferry area. Go here to check it out.

You still have a chance to earn the Special Rifleman's Patch, only available at Project Appleseed Patriot's Day Weekend Rifle Marksmanship events!

You can register here.

Also special T-shirts and other stuff at this event.

Check it out - very cool rifleman's patch!

Attachments

• patriot.jpg
      patriot.jpg
      100.4 KB · Views: 146
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04