AAR: Green Ops Practical Red Dot Pistol Skills Class (2/28/2021)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Been a while since I've written an AAR, but this was a fun class:
    https://thehebrewhammer.net/2021/03/02/green-ops-practical-red-dot-pistol-skills-aar/

If I were going to summarize it quickly, think "a very well-executed MSP Red Dot Lite class". The iconic Modern Samurai Project red dot pistol class isn't for everyone in the sense that it's a somewhat intimidating situation for newer shooters - lots of revved-up shooters, firehose-style learning, and at least one strong personality. The Green Ops class is a little more sedate, but teaches you most of the same stuff. It was raining nearly the entire time, so if you can make a red dot pistol work in that kind of weather, you can make it work in any weather. Also loved the instructor to student ratio (1:4), which gave you plenty of opportunities for personal coaching.

Also, semi-related: the P320 X5 Legion is a beast. Only one malfunction the entire class (stovepipe), and that very well may have been the ammo. I am getting my spare (LCI) barrel ported to see if that can give me any compensator-esque benefits with controlling muzzle rise further.

rkouns2003

Jul 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Good review. I enjoyed the class also. Im in the double digits now for classes with Green Ops. Always nice too see other MD shooters members out there. I hope your wife lets you off the hook for the ak class!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Good review. I enjoyed the class also. Im in the double digits now for classes with Green Ops. Always nice too see other MD shooters members out there. I hope your wife lets you off the hook for the ak class!
    Thanks! It was a pleasure to meet you! We'll see if I can somehow figure out the timing for the AK class... sunset is relatively late, so it's possible I could just cut out early, too.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've taken a couple of Green Ops classes as well. I'd love to take a defensive carbine class once ammo is more reasonable.
    The round count in their introductory defensive carbine clinics is not super high. Yes, it is a bigger chunk than pre-pandemic, but it's not unaffordably huge. Proficiency requires practice and training, and that means shooting... no way to get around it. I'd argue that the benefit per round at a training class vastly exceeds what you'd get on the usual range trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom