• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I remember that a couple of years ago, the staff at The Machine Gun Nest were warning their customers to be careful when they left the range because there were unconfirmed reports that some customers might have been tailed when they left the range and their cars broken into when they stopped at a grocery store (or whatever) on the way home. Ever since then, I've become paranoid and come straight home after I have been to TMGN. I store my firearms safely at home and only then go out to run errands. I also watch my speed when I drive with firearms in the vehicle. No need to give a State Trooper a reason to pull me over when I am on the highway.

Cal68

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Never worried of police. Don't know why I should.
    I'm worried about car jacker/thieves.
    Indoor range, yes, look around before walking out door and as getting to car and as I'm driving away.
    I never go to the mall or another place where I then leave my car afterwards in a publish parking lot

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Not that I'm paranoid but if a car follows me for too long I'll take a wrong turn to see if the keeps following me, especially before I turn onto the lane to my house. Vigilance isn't a bad thing. Head on a swivel you never know. "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you."

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You are over-thinking. Life is difficult and complicated as it is, so don't make it more than it has to be.
    Welcome back!

As for the OP, rear view mirrors aren't made for seeing where you've been, they're for seeing who's behind you. I'm not worried about black helicopters, but I try to keep up a strong situational awareness.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    DON WELCOME HOME!!!!!

I raise my glass in your honor.

images.jpeg

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Suspicious of unsubstantiated urban legends? Definitely not. Cautious for the sake of common sense? Definitely, as much as possible.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I don't think the OP is crazy...but maybe takes it a little far. There's this thing called "optics." For example:

I own a HMMWV. I like to drive it on weekends. I was recently invited to a range and I wasn't sure exactly what we'd be shooting so I figured I'd bring "everything" including a lot of ammo because I had no idea how long we'd be shooting. Now, with the current state of the country, put yourself in the shoes of local law enforcement: He pulls over a guy in a military HMMVW packed with weapons and ammo. Is this guy some kind of militant? Is he on his way somewhere to commit a mass crime?

I don't treat LEO's as homogeneous, constitutional supporters. They are individuals and they often identify with the regional politics. I live near Annapolis and I know that several officers do not feel that the public should own firearms. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get if you get pulled over. So, I eschewed the HMMWV for the trip to the range in favor of something more "gray man" such as my gray, Subaru Outback. People simply assume I'm a flannel wearing lesbian and leave me alone.

As far as criminals scouting ranges and carjacking someone as they leave, yeah, I don't stop anywhere between the range and home while transporting firearms and my SA antenna is always twitching.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I did not read this whole thread to see if it was discussed, but I heard a story of a person getting arrested after leaving Free State. Police followed them from the range to the Royal Farms close by and when the individual stopped and got gas, they initiated a stop and arrested them for unlawful transport/possession. AFAIK he was not a prohibited person.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I did not read this whole thread to see if it was discussed, but I heard a story of a person getting arrested after leaving Free State. Police followed them from the range to the Royal Farms close by and when the individual stopped and got gas, they initiated a stop and arrested them for unlawful transport/possession.
    Confirmed? Or third hand??

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    It is good to observe cars behind you with a few glance. If you worry about it that much, just make some loopy loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom