• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    Keep your head on a swivel always, even when I get into vehicle wherever I am I lock the doors, then remove mask, then start engine just a habit I guess but then I'm not a trusting person.
    I was hit by a woman in a parking lot yrs ago she waved for me to cross in front of her!! never again then 1 time a man waved me to cross I waved him to go and he stopped "whats wrong with you woman?!!" I said thanks but someone else waved me to go and hit me so forgive me for being leery!! I'll never forget him or his ram truck

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    giphy.gif

You have been missed Don.

For the OP, wouldn't worry much about police. If they think you have something unlawful, they would probably just block you in the parking lot and call for backup, I doubt they would wait for you to make a mistake in traffic. If you are transporting and are pulled over for other reasons, then you do have rights, and no need to disclose what is in the vehicle. They can ask to check it if it's visible, make sure any firearm gear is lawfully stowed and covered anyway. The greater risk is criminals following you, keep aware of your surroundings, and be careful when/where you stop. I live 5 min from my private range, so not much time to see if someone is following me, and usually nobody is at the range when I go. Still makes me a little nervous, so I stay discreet, keep situational awareness and carry something formidable.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Dumb question time , if you would have a Md. permit then none of the police activity would be important going or coming from a gun range or stopping to get gas . IMHO

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Lol. Thanks. Norton is evil in a good way and I thank him for that. Anyway, yeah. It's been a while. Life kicked me in the nuts. I think it has kicked all of us lately. So be it. But happy to be back among like minded people. *Group hug*
    Whoa, welcome back!

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Third hand, per se.

I can't find the MDShooters forum, but here is a Reddit link which describes the situation. Take it for what it's worth

https://www.reddit.com/r/MDGuns/comments/b6mdxv/arrested_for_stopping_for_gas_after_leaving_range/

If they got him at the gas station it could be due to the transport laws in MD? You have to be going to or from the range, an FFL, or your home, something like that. If you stop to get gas, take a pee etc. that may be interpreted as breaking that law. A judge would have to decide. IANAL

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Keep your head on a swivel always, even when I get into vehicle wherever I am I lock the doors, then remove mask, then start engine just a habit I guess but then I'm not a trusting person.
    I was hit by a woman in a parking lot yrs ago she waved for me to cross in front of her!! never again then 1 time a man waved me to cross I waved him to go and he stopped "whats wrong with you woman?!!" I said thanks but someone else waved me to go and hit me so forgive me for being leery!! I'll never forget him or his ram truck
    Agree with most all of this, but unless I unavoidably have my hands full, the mask comes off as soon as I leave the store, if not before.

Welcome back DD214!

Wraith

Oct 19, 2009
    Denton
    If it's registered in the state, they can see it. I say this from an experience I had a few years ago.

Got stopped for not having headlights on, on a required use road. Forgot to turn them on. Anyways, state trooper approached asked for license and registration, was my mom's vehicle, was polite, and everything. Well he returned to the cruiser with the documents and I thought nothing of it.

Well then he comes back a min later, he slow walks with his hand on his holster, and asks me if there is any firearms in the vehicle. I responded no, then he returned to his cruiser.

Anyways he let me off with a warning. But I knew his reaction after running my license had to show something to suddenly make him ask me about guns after the first interaction.

csxt602

Oct 29, 2020
    Essex, MD
    If they got him at the gas station it could be due to the transport laws in MD? You have to be going to or from the range, an FFL, or your home, something like that. If you stop to get gas, take a pee etc. that may be interpreted as breaking that law. A judge would have to decide. IANAL

I was told by the retired LEO that did my HQL class that stopping between home and the range/gunsmith was permissible as long as it was on your route, and you did not deviate from your route, or pass the destination to go to get gas/go to the store/etc. He told us to get receipts to prove time of departure from the range/smith in case of a traffic stop.

Of course, it's all up to the officer's discretion, and take the advice with a grain of salt, but I can't believe that they just tailed a guy to RoFo, and hemmed him up, just for stopping to get gas. I go to that RoFo when leaving Freestate every single time, and have never had an issue.

As far as the OP, like others have said, I'm not worried about LEOs so much as I'm worried about the scum of the earth when leaving the range. That's why I always have a "battle buddy" with me, and my military instilled SA increased.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I was told by the retired LEO that did my HQL class that stopping between home and the range/gunsmith was permissible as long as it was on your route, and you did not deviate from your route, or pass the destination to go to get gas/go to the store/etc. He told us to get receipts to prove time of departure from the range/smith in case of a traffic stop.

Of course, it's all up to the officer's discretion, and take the advice with a grain of salt, but I can't believe that they just tailed a guy to RoFo, and hemmed him up, just for stopping to get gas. I go to that RoFo when leaving Freestate every single time, and have never had an issue.

As far as the OP, like others have said, I'm not worried about LEOs so much as I'm worried about the scum of the earth when leaving the range. That's why I always have a "battle buddy" with me, and my military instilled SA increased.

Yeah, cops can charge you with whatever and then it's up to the judge to decide if it was legal. Most cops aren't lawyers, some know their stuff and some don't. It really all depends.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Anyone else suspicious when leaving a gun range with your guns? :envy:
    I always look around for cops, make sure I am not being tailed and always watch my speed limit because I feel leaving a gun range is a prime opportunity for a cop to pull you over and harass you looking to charge you for something gun related.:tdown: :sad20: Just how I feel in this day and age we live in.

Im more suspicious of someone following to break in my house

It is good to observe cars behind you with a few glance. If you worry about it that much, just make some loopy loop.

If you suspect you're being followed, there are quite a few things to do to confirm a tail w/o looking suspicious. Pulling in to a busy drive through or crowded gas station and "getting impatient" after 90 seconds and pulling back out of line will confirm a tail, but won't clearly tell them you know they're there.
    It is much better to look like an impatient idiot than to let them know you're on to them.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I was in Atlantic Guns years ago when another customer was asking for a written replacement cost for two Les Baer 45's that were stolen out of this truck after he left the range , He stopped to get gas and went inside to use the rest room when a car rolls up too his truck a passenger got out smashed has window grabs the range bag jumps back in the car and they were gone , He said the video was so crappy it just showed what happened but no tag or face , Cop said it happens all to often , The range was what would be now the Old Maryland Small Arms Range , Been there a couple times back then but never went back , But when I did to a range and any Gun Shop I take a long round about way home but never stopping anywhere.
    Now I shoot on my property .

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Land of the Free, and in the Free State at that. What a f*cking joke. Getting receipts to prove I was not out of like with the crown :rolleyes:

How many times have you been stopped by police while at this RoFo after Freestate?

I'm not picking on you, just pointing out that our state is f*cked up. As someone else mentioned, cops are not lawyers, and you'd be lucky to get one that knows gun laws if you were stopped with guns. They will charge you with whatever, and it's up to you (and your wallet) to prove innocence.

To the OP: It's always a good idea to be mindful of your surroundings, both to keep within the law, and keep away from ne'er-do-wells.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Anyone else suspicious when leaving a gun range with your guns? :envy:
    I always look around for cops, make sure I am not being tailed and always watch my speed limit because I feel leaving a gun range is a prime opportunity for a cop to pull you over and harass you looking to charge you for something gun related.:tdown: :sad20: Just how I feel in this day and age we live in.

Certainly not recommended and YMMV...at the first traffic light after the range stop on green- when yellow floor it on through and if anyone follows you through the hard red then you know. Of course this may result in you being followed justifiably with flashing blue and or red lights.

Sirex