• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The counter guy was misinformed or just lying. The law does not forbid loaded mags, and there is an AG letter stating his interpretation is that loaded mags are legal to transport in a vehicle. The letter is dated 15 Jan 2010... I have a copy I saved from someone posting it here but can't repost at the moment.

That being said, a range is a privately owned business, so if they want to make a rule that you can't enter with loaded mags, they can do that.

Here's that letter. I keep it pretty handy.

Prior to that letter, the advice given was to NOT carry loaded mags in MD.

That letter changed things, but many people do not know about it.

But since it is an interpretation, it could be changed just by the AG issuing a new letter saying loaded mags are NOT OK.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Range bags are like cars and guns.

LOTS of good ones out there. And some not so good ones.

Look around at the range. Look at them in stores. And pick one. And see how it works. Maybe it is great, maybe it is OK, maybe you need another one.

I have about 5 around. Different sizes and used for different range trips.

One thing, don't get a really big one. You WILL try to fill it up, and it will be HEAVY.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The guy might have been addressing if I had it in my car like that since it was all together in the one bag, but not accessible, like in the trunk. I can't recall exactly the whole conversation but he was using a lot of 'conviction' to make his point. This was in '93 probably. It was definitely a power trip thing at play to some degree, partly to just make an impression on a young shooter, and I just kept quiet and 'dove under the wave' so I could go on and shoot. Inside I was obviously annoyed I was put on the spot. From that day forward I vowed to never be on the spot again.:lol2:

Things were different in 93.

Through the 90s I taught in several NRA Pistol and Personal Protection courses.

That WAS what was being taught, based on the laws and then current interpretations.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Yes get a range bag.

Read the law, don't listen to internet "lawyers" interpretations.

Make your own decision. I always suggest to keep the ammunition separate from the firearm in the trunk, it makes it easy to see by LEO you have no intention on combining the two items.

TD

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Read the law, don't listen to internet "lawyers" interpretations.

Would you listen to the interpretations of the Attorney General of the State of Maryland?

The letter of interpretation that is attached to an earlier post is from the AG.

NOT the opinion of some Internet lawyer.

And BTW, several members here are also lawyers for real.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    OP, great advice already presented in this thread. As others have pointed out, a range bag is useful for actually carrying all of the stuff you'll need at the range. Assuming we're talking handguns, if you're still really that concerned about it, pick up one of these or comparable. Two separate hard sided and lockable cases in a single range "bag".

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-1612-Range-Black-Large/dp/B00VKPSIXA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Plano+1612+X2+Range+Bag%2C+Black%2C+Large&qid=1620250546&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-3

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Things were different in 93.

Through the 90s I taught in several NRA Pistol and Personal Protection courses.

That WAS what was being taught, based on the laws and then current interpretations.

Since way back when I just don't carry loaded mags even if there is a legal ability to do so. I know it's illegal for them to be easily accessible and could get into trouble if I began carrying them around in a way to be construed as 'accessible'.

I also will put the ammo in a separate bag to be married up with my range bag when I get to the range. I'll put the ammo and gun(s) in separate locations too, for the most part.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Without a range bag where do you put your shoot-n-see dots, stapler, tape, binoculars, leatherman, chamber flags, ammo, chapstick, Tylenol, glasses, the other glasses, headphones & spare batteries, ear plugs, the other ear plugs, and Israeli bandage?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What is your favorite range bag and why?

5.11 range bag. I’ve had line for about 9 years and have loaded it up with 5 pistols and hundreds of rounds of ammo and it’s still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Prior to that letter, the advice given was to NOT carry loaded mags in MD.

That letter changed things, but many people do not know about it.

But since it is an interpretation, it could be changed just by the AG issuing a new letter saying loaded mags are NOT OK.

They could say whatever they want but there is no law in MD that says you can’t so until that changes, it’s legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    One aspect not discussed in this thread:
    While you may have a letter from the AG, you may have the opinion of 5 attorneys, You may be a NRA instructor,
    None of that matters while you are on the side of the road with the MSP going through your vehicle, If he/she has a hard-on for you, doesn't like your bumper stickers, etc, etc
    You "may" get your firearms back "eventually" after spending how much on those 5 attorneys?

States Like MD intentionally write loose and confusing laws,, to be interpreted with a political bias.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Without a range bag where do you put your shoot-n-see dots, stapler, tape, binoculars, leatherman, chamber flags, ammo, chapstick, Tylenol, glasses, the other glasses, headphones & spare batteries, ear plugs, the other ear plugs, and Israeli bandage?

... and you could just put all this in a bag you already have, but it's easier to buy another bag specifically for the range than to explain to TSA why there's a handfull of loose rounds in the bottom of your carry-on that you left behind from your last range trip. ;)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    F unconstitutional gun laws. Who are you guys letting into your trunk?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Since way back when I just don't carry loaded mags even if there is a legal ability to do so. I know it's illegal for them to be easily accessible and could get into trouble if I began carrying them around in a way to be construed as 'accessible'.

I also will put the ammo in a separate bag to be married up with my range bag when I get to the range. I'll put the ammo and gun(s) in separate locations too, for the most part.

There is nothing in the law for transport in MD about accessible or not accessible.

Only that the handgun must be in an enclosed holster or case. And you must be going to/from home, range, or gun store.

Accessibility IS part of FOPA in transiting states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom