• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chauchat

Jan 16, 2014
    In the free States
    Can any of you folks recommend someone who can train a friend of mine who wants to get of her fear of guns? She is in the Olney area. They have to be gentle (but firm) and patient in how they train her. She lost family members to murder sooooooo she has a huge anxiety factor. She is hip for the training. Just need the right type to help her get up to speed. Rambo, High speed low drag types would not be a good fit.

Contact me by PM

Chauchat

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I recommend she look for Damascus's IWLA/WAC website. They do several NRA Basic Pistol courses 'women only' classes each year. I believe they are open to non members for a nominal fee. Both my wife and daughter took the classes. Very non-intimidating.

Their website...

http://www.damascusiwla.org/

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    Iota in Marriottsville also has women only classes available for fireams and other personal protection subjects.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'd recommend Paula Parsons , but the last I heard she was having health issues , not sure if she's back up to speed .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Someone (female) who is skiddish, doesn't always need another female.
    As a matter of fact, someone with deep personal reasons doesn't need a "general class" with the masses.
    They need personal training.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Someone (female) who is skiddish, doesn't always need another female.
    As a matter of fact, someone with deep personal reasons doesn't need a "general class" with the masses.
    They need personal training.

This. ⬆⬆⬆

I think the OP is all over what the lady needs.
    I think Blaster picked up on it also.

Sounds to me like this lady needs some range exposure, and from somebody who knows her circumstances in just exactly what she's dealing with, and as a prerequisite to training.

I've occasionally seen folks, typically female but not always, sit at a range as observers. Some have been absolutely and noticably terrified to be there. I've made it a point to stop and mention to them that, believe it or not will all of those guns barking, they're in the safest place in Maryland. The look of relief is palpable.

Some folks need exposure, and good exposure, before they'll ever absorb instruction.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, I don't think that female students have to be tought by female Instructors. Paula is simply a good Instructor who happens to be female .

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    No, I don't think that female students have to be tought by female Instructors. Paula is simply a good Instructor who happens to be female .

Paula is a great instructor and fellow NRA Training Counselor. She is currently having some health and family issues. The NRA Training department sent out an e-mail asking all of the local TCs to help help out where we can.

Just wanted to let everyone know in case she does not respond right away.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No one said anything about a female instructor, per se. It would be helpful to know if the student would prefer a class with other students or a one-on-one class. Sometimes misery loves company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom