• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Bear with me.

Background: When my Dad first moved out to the country (still working in the city) He asked around for a deer rifle to help put food on the table for his 10 kids. A co-worker lent him a sporterized 6.5 Arisaka and he and the my older brothers used it until the box of ammo was depleted. I only remember that it was a weird caliber and when the ammo was gone, it stopped being used. I actually used it as a Halloween prop dressed up in my Brother's Vietnam era Army uniforms.

Fast forward. My Dad was cleaning out his house prior to going into assisted living. He was going to throw the gun out. I had been told the barrel was plugged with rust. I snatched it up, ran bore cleaner through it and it was remarkedly clean. I had read that a lot of these bring-home guns had been rechambered into 257 Roberts. I did a wax cast of the chamber and with a caliper, it appeared to be still 6.5. I picked up brass, bullets and dies and reloaded 5 rounds. I took it to Elkneck and with a REALLY long rope, Fired it. Wow, the brass was really distorted (elongated, shoulder moved over 1/8 inch). Opted to pick up some 257 Roberts ammo and tried again. No distortion AT ALL.

So now I have ~95 casings, bullets (Hornady, 6.5mm, .264, 140 grain) for Karma. Stuff is heavy so pick up in Severn is best but if you want shipped, I have no idea on the cost.

Attachments

• 6.5 Brass.jpg
      6.5 Brass.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 445
    • 6.5 Bullets.jpg
      6.5 Bullets.jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 433

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Both I and my Hooligan friend CombatAK have Arisakas chambered in 6.5. We'll definitely pay to get the stuff out here. Hopefully we're in line behind Doco Overboard.

:thumbsup: :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Due to overwhelming response. This karma is closed. The longstanding and crazy Hooligan group are the recipients. Sorry to all those interested.:D

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    In high school a friend had, in his room, an arisaka that had been turned into a room lamp. It had the lamp shade over the muzzle with a lightbulb in there, working and all. In the butt stock, part of the wood had been chipped away. He told me his grandfather brought it back from the pacific and the chip is where he shot the Japanese soldier. I thought that was a cool story but sad ending for the rifle

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    No big deal, j8064 copied me in on his pm to you.
    Sounds like he and a couple of those guys can use right away and stuff is hard to find.
    I have plenty to keep me busy enough already. :thumbsup:

Absolutely! A couple of Hooligans can definitely put the stuff to use immediately. Thanks for letting me "cut in line", Doco Overboard. That certainly wasn't my intention which is why I copied you on my PM. :o And you already should know you have an open invitation to attend a Hooligan shoot to enjoy and join the fun! :thumbsup::party29:

I've had my T-38 Arisaka for about 10 years. It was a "steal" for $200 on a GB auction back then. The stock had been refinished, but I bought it to shoot. Of course then I had to get dies, bullets, brass etc. to feed it. :lol2: It's hard on brass like they all are, but a really good shooter.

CombatAK's T-38 was Bubba'd when he got it. I'm pretty sure he got it from buellsfurn. Then he did a ton of work on it to make it a shooter. We now call his rifle Yoko. He can fill y'all in on the details of how he brought it back to life. I texted CombatAK last night and he's smiling too.

Below are some pics of my rifle and "Yoko" for your enjoyment.

We can't thank you both enough!

:thumbsup:

j8064

Attachments

• DSC07742.jpg
      DSC07742.jpg
      119.7 KB · Views: 166
    • JBG.jpg
      JBG.jpg
      109.8 KB · Views: 163
    • DSC02088.jpg
      DSC02088.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 165
    • DSC02092 Arisaka.jpg
      DSC02092 Arisaka.jpg
      69.4 KB · Views: 156

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    A Big Thank You To lawrencewendall!

I wanted to personally thank him on the forum for his generosity. It took a little longer than I'd hoped for my SIL to bring the 6.5 reloading karma out to the mountains. But it's here now and in Hooligan hands. The brass and bullets are split between CombatAK and me. CombatAK was smiling at the range yesterday. :party29:

Both he and I brought our T-38 relics out to play. They are pretty accurate for old war-horses. We'll be loading up more rounds to feed them thanks to lawrencewendall! :thumbsup:

Many thanks indeed!

j8064

Attachments

• DSC04968 T38 Arisaka Reloading Goodies.jpg
      DSC04968 T38 Arisaka Reloading Goodies.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 122
    • DSC04969 CombatAK w Arisaka Goodies.JPG
      DSC04969 CombatAK w Arisaka Goodies.JPG
      87.4 KB · Views: 122
    • DSC04971 CombatAK Yoko.jpg
      DSC04971 CombatAK Yoko.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 122
    • DSC04973 j8064 T38 Arisaka.jpg
      DSC04973 j8064 T38 Arisaka.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 127
    • DSC04977 Yoko and T38.jpg
      DSC04977 Yoko and T38.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 120

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I wanted to personally thank him on the forum for his generosity. It took a little longer than I'd hoped for my SIL to bring the 6.5 reloading karma out to the mountains. But it's here now and in Hooligan hands. The brass and bullets are split between CombatAK and me. CombatAK was smiling at the range yesterday. :party29:

Both he and I brought our T-38 relics out to play. They are pretty accurate for old war-horses. We'll be loading up more rounds to feed them thanks to lawrencewendall! :thumbsup:

Many thanks indeed!

j8064

:thumbsup:

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009

Many thanks indeed!

j8064

Glad it went to a good home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom